What are these costs

Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:03 am
Just Joined

leavingcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy What are these costs

Hi All

would b interested if any one had these costs when sending animal back to UK...they are the ones marked as 3rd party...i did not know we had to pay defra etc for this service..whatever it may be

Travel Kennel – 1 x 28”L x 21”W x 20”H
CFIA Endorsements and Courier Fee* $115.00
Ground Transportation from Taber to Calgary International Airport 350.00
Cargo Check-In Included
Airfreight Rate* – 34 kg chargable by volume – Calgary to London Heathrow Air Canada Cargo 686.12
Airline Surcharges* – Fuel, Security and Navigation 35.00
Heathrow Customs Clearance* – Includes Comfort Stop, Cargo Terminal and DEFRA Charges 475.58
Delivery to UK Residence By owner
Administration and Consultation 400.00
Handling* 75.00
Goods and Services Tax* (GST #876416124) 27.50
Faxes/Tolls* 30.00

*Payments made to third parties on your behalf
**Based on rates as of 18 July 2011 Total Estimate
CAD** $2194.20
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:38 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: What are these costs

Hello, we came to UK acompanied by a cat from USA last year, so our circumstances are not the same, but to your specific question of Defra fee, yes we paid a Defra fee.
I imagine the specific info could be found on a Defra website
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leavingcanada
Hi All

would b interested if any one had these costs when sending animal back to UK...they are the ones marked as 3rd party...i did not know we had to pay defra etc for this service..whatever it may be

Travel Kennel – 1 x 28”L x 21”W x 20”H
CFIA Endorsements and Courier Fee* $115.00
Ground Transportation from Taber to Calgary International Airport 350.00
Cargo Check-In Included
Airfreight Rate* – 34 kg chargable by volume – Calgary to London Heathrow Air Canada Cargo 686.12
Airline Surcharges* – Fuel, Security and Navigation 35.00
Heathrow Customs Clearance* – Includes Comfort Stop, Cargo Terminal and DEFRA Charges 475.58
Delivery to UK Residence By owner
Administration and Consultation 400.00
Handling* 75.00
Goods and Services Tax* (GST #876416124) 27.50
Faxes/Tolls* 30.00

*Payments made to third parties on your behalf
**Based on rates as of 18 July 2011 Total Estimate
CAD** $2194.20
It's just a list of which charges are theirs, and which are payments that they have to make to other companies/organisations that form part of the service.

CFIA is the Canadian equivalent of Defra - the courier fees are to get documentation to/from them. CFIA will need paperwork etc. to prove that the animal is fit for export, as well as for keeping records, and vet paperwork etc.

Airfreight Rate - is the cost of the flight ticket for your pet

Airline surcharges - I guess none of us are safe from these... they are added to every ticket, human or animal.

Heathrow Customs Clearance - very animal that come in has to be inspected, let out to pee, given water etc. Someone has to pay for the people/space to do that. DEFRA charge a fee for their inspector, and processing of paperwork for importing an animal, as well as the airport charging for the use of their staff and property, and potential clean up costs.

Handling and Faxes/Tolls - both sound like administrative charges to me.

GST/HST - should be self explanatory really

Hope that helps. Basically, it's anything that they have to pay someone else for doing, and red tape. For example - they don't fly the plane themselves
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

leavingcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dashie
It's just a list of which charges are theirs, and which are payments that they have to make to other companies/organisations that form part of the service.

CFIA is the Canadian equivalent of Defra - the courier fees are to get documentation to/from them. CFIA will need paperwork etc. to prove that the animal is fit for export, as well as for keeping records, and vet paperwork etc.

Airfreight Rate - is the cost of the flight ticket for your pet

Airline surcharges - I guess none of us are safe from these... they are added to every ticket, human or animal.

Heathrow Customs Clearance - very animal that come in has to be inspected, let out to pee, given water etc. Someone has to pay for the people/space to do that. DEFRA charge a fee for their inspector, and processing of paperwork for importing an animal, as well as the airport charging for the use of their staff and property, and potential clean up costs.

Handling and Faxes/Tolls - both sound like administrative charges to me.

GST/HST - should be self explanatory really

Hope that helps. Basically, it's anything that they have to pay someone else for doing, and red tape. For example - they don't fly the plane themselves
Thanks all for this answer.....of course i understood the plane cost..but didnt know about the others.....was interested to see if i would have had to pay these fee on arrival in UK if we did it all ourselfes
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, yes, I think they are fees you would have to pay anyway. Also though, when we were looking a few months ago, many of the airlines won't let you do it yourself anymore, you have to use a company

Makes it a lot more difficult than when we moved to Canada 6 years ago. And a lot more expensive too.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

These costs sound in line with some that I posted over a year ago when we shipped our GSD back from Calgary. If you have a largish dog I don't think that doing it youself is going to be much cheaper because the pet transport company fee is a relatively small amount of the total. Are you using Boomerang?

-Travel Kennel $0. We had our own from his journey to Calgary. Budget $300ish for a GSD sized dog

- Air Canada Airfeight $1500 plus airline fuel surcharges $53.

- Heathrow customs clearance charges $521. These include cargo terminal and DEFRA charges plus what they refer to as a comfort stop.

- Pet transport company fee $300. Quite resonable if you consider the stress it removes from you. This was the base charge excluding transport of Josh from the vet to the airport.

- Canada Food ann Inspection Agency endorsement of vacination history including fee for courering of document $75

- Approximately $100 of miscellaneous extra fees.