Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What skills are required in the UK?

What skills are required in the UK?

Old May 29th 2010, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Default What skills are required in the UK?

Hi guys,

I need some advice. Within the next 2-3 years, there is a very real possibility that I could be returning to the UK. It might be for as short as 3 years, but it could be longer. My dilemma is this. My original trade was a mechanical engineer, mostly to do with Rotary pumps. Then after being here for a few years I got a job with MAF doing a diploma in horticulture in the mean time.

Now I have no real desire to go back to engineering, and I feel it could be restrictive in where we could settle anyway (and the area WILL be dependant on my wifes position, which could be in a small town probably on the coast, not an industrial area). I've never really done horticulture, and don't really have any interest in it anyway (just did the course because I had to to get the job!).

And here lies my problem. I need to work out what trades or skills are in shortage, so I can skill myself up. I have never worked for myself, and I quite like the idea. I've thought about Electrician, but that could take too long to get qualified. I couldn't be a plumber....hate poohs!!

I'm open to any idea's (apart from Plumber).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old May 29th 2010, 7:11 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What skills are required in the UK?

Originally Posted by kooga61
Hi guys,

I need some advice. Within the next 2-3 years, there is a very real possibility that I could be returning to the UK. It might be for as short as 3 years, but it could be longer. My dilemma is this. My original trade was a mechanical engineer, mostly to do with Rotary pumps. Then after being here for a few years I got a job with MAF doing a diploma in horticulture in the mean time.

Now I have no real desire to go back to engineering, and I feel it could be restrictive in where we could settle anyway (and the area WILL be dependant on my wifes position, which could be in a small town probably on the coast, not an industrial area). I've never really done horticulture, and don't really have any interest in it anyway (just did the course because I had to to get the job!).

And here lies my problem. I need to work out what trades or skills are in shortage, so I can skill myself up. I have never worked for myself, and I quite like the idea. I've thought about Electrician, but that could take too long to get qualified. I couldn't be a plumber....hate poohs!!

I'm open to any idea's (apart from Plumber).

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Carpet fitter
Painter/decorator

- I can't get one of either to even come by and give me a quote so if you just turn up, you'd be doing pretty well.

I think a lot of people need general basic handyman jobs done around the house too, but don't want to pay a joiner, etc., so if you have good general fixing skills and a decent set of tools you'd probably have plenty of business too. Because there isn't a lot of movement in the housing market, I think a lot of people are into the austerity/make do and mend mentality.
Old May 29th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Carpet fitter
Painter/decorator

- I can't get one of either to even come by and give me a quote so if you just turn up, you'd be doing pretty well.

I think a lot of people need general basic handyman jobs done around the house too, but don't want to pay a joiner, etc., so if you have good general fixing skills and a decent set of tools you'd probably have plenty of business too. Because there isn't a lot of movement in the housing market, I think a lot of people are into the austerity/make do and mend mentality.
Mmm....interesting idea. Would there be a need for a cert' or something to start a company up in these trades do you think. Painting/decorator sounds good/promising, although I have laid carpets.

Last edited by kooga61; May 29th 2010 at 7:55 am.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard, either in the media or through word of mouth, that there is a particular shortage or surplus of any kind of tradesperson to be honest. I did a major house renovation in 2008 and had no trouble getting trades people and on the other hand the tradies I spoke to seemed ot have enough work on. I dealt with builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians..

I recommend you just chose something you want to do because you want to do it, not because of some perceived idea about shortages.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:38 am
Just Joined

R00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant future

Try here:

http://www.uk-emigration.com/uk/skil...rtage-list.asp