Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What sets you off being homesick???

What sets you off being homesick???

Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What sets you off being homesick???

Well, I'm having a good day today, no tears at the moment, but my question today is "What sets you off being homesick?"

Mine are:

1- The thought or xmas in Canada whilst my family are all together in England.

2- Seeing my Neice & Nephew on MSN now their teeth have grown back...

3- Watching "A good year", a film about a vineyard in France, and knowing its so much further away...

4- missing the smell of Lenor....

Now I know these are minor things but they just start me off...

What about you lot???
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sets you off being homesick???

Originally Posted by hippy chick
Well, I'm having a good day today, no tears at the moment, but my question today is "What sets you off being homesick?"

Mine are:

3- Watching "A good year", a film about a vineyard in France, and knowing its so much further away...

What about you lot???

When i would see travel programmes about Europe. Now its when i see travel programmes about big snow covered mountain ranges. Damn these rose tinted specs!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippy chick

Mine are:

What about you lot???
When I was in Canada I guess missing out on family events like my dad's 70th Birthday and christmas of course.

Another thing that made it really difficult was that my OH works as a technician for bands and works in Europe a lot of the time. I remember one night he called me from a bar in Belfast where he was having a drink with my brother and Sister-in-law, it's times like that when I wondered "what the hell am I doing here".
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I think for me the realisation that we was never going to be able to afford to stay.......The realisation that we was not happy and we was all living on our nerves. Then all the insignificant niggly things, suddenly be came really big.

And once that set in, there was know shaking it off
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My mom visiting from home and European travel shows set me off.
Mom left last week so I'm in the dumps right now
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I think for me the realisation that we was never going to be able to afford to stay.......The realisation that we was not happy and we was all living on our nerves. Then all the insignificant niggly things, suddenly be came really big.

And once that set in, there was know shaking it off
Did you fall on bad times too sans? Life is damned hard over here when you ain't got two pennies to rub together....scary when you have a mortgage at nearly $2,000 a month
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:32 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Did you fall on bad times too sans? Life is damned hard over here when you ain't got two pennies to rub together....scary when you have a mortgage at nearly $2,000 a month
Hi Ruby Yep!!! We was struggling big time.....We ended up on half the wages/dbl the morgage........So pleased we got back here before this recession kicked in, i sure as hell wouldn't of wanted to be stuck in Canada
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Can be people at work talking about spending time with THEIR families, or occasionally a show on tv.

Though most shows you get on Australian tv show a very seedy side to British life, eg Taggart, The Bill, Murphy's Law etc which are unlikely to trigger too many pangs...but the Aussies think they are a totally realistic representation of British life I think!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Waking up in the morning to a cacophony of screeching birds.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's the usual things...

Birthdays and events.
Glimses of London on the TV.
People talking about family coming to visit.
Holidays where people are expected to be near family.
The realisation that my parents are getting older.
After the Saturday and Sunday morning calls.
Other Europeans booking their holidays to visit family.
Airports.
Listening to LBC on the internet.
Realising that no matter what, when my parents need me I will be there for them, so staying in the US is on 'borrowed' time.

and on and on..
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

KRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura about

The World Cup and the three lions song gets me every time.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

People
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

KRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
People
People with personality you mean.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Like it!

Here KRUSADR, this one's for you!

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:00 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Watching British TV programmes, like Midsomer Murders, Judge John Deed, The Royal, or more recently Graham Norton for some inexplicable reason. BBC news - always so interesting. Global TV doesn't quite cut it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.