Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are the relatively affordable and safe places to live in Derbyshire?

What are the relatively affordable and safe places to live in Derbyshire?

Old Mar 20th 2023, 9:06 am
Just Joined

DrivingToyota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the relatively affordable and safe places to live in Derbyshire?

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I am planning to move to the UK and have been researching for decent places to reside for some time. Currently, I prefer living in somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham (i.e. I think that's mostly the area of Derbyshire) as I may be looking for a job in these two cities. I will be renting a house and my budget is around £1200 PCM.

I have shortlisted the following towns:

1. Chesterfield
2. Dronfield
3. Ripley
4. Belper
5. Duffield
These towns should be pretty safe and the rent is within my budget.

I have got two questions:

1. According to crime stats I found online, the town centre of Chesterfield is subpar. The crime rate was around 250 per 1000 people in 2022. Is Chesterfield really dangerous overall?

2. What are the other good places to live in Derbyshire?

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by DrivingToyota; Mar 20th 2023 at 9:10 am.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the relatively affordable and safe places to live in Derbyshire?

Originally Posted by DrivingToyota
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I am planning to move to the UK and have been researching for decent places to reside for some time. Currently, I prefer living in somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham (i.e. I think that's mostly the area of Derbyshire) as I may be looking for a job in these two cities. I will be renting a house and my budget is around £1200 PCM.

1. Chesterfield
2. Dronfield
3. Ripley
4. Belper
5. Duffield

1. According to crime stats I found online, the town centre of Chesterfield is subpar. The crime rate was around 250 per 1000 people in 2022. Is Chesterfield really dangerous overall?

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!
Hi, it’s all depends really on your budget as parts of Derbyshire ie the Peak District can be more expensive. Matlock and Matlock Bath are nice areas as is Ashbourne, Melbourne and Repton, Bakewell are very nice Chesterfield is okay ish there are lots of lovely villages but you have to be careful as Derbyshire only has the M1 which skirts on the fridges of Derbyshire so in some places traffic can get a little busy. It’s what you really want out of your move or market town, village being in the fridges of a city, for me Nottingham is nicer than Sheffield the M1 is an excellent link to that part of the world you drive past Derby, Nottingham,
Sheffield, Leeds then it becomes the gateway to North Yorkshire, further down you are heading towards London and drive through Leicestershire Northamptonshire, all these counties have very good bit and some “bad bits” but you are driving away from the industrial buildings of the North and into what I think are the “England before the Industrial Revolution” which for me being a very proud Northerner just love the various architecture we usually do not have especially in the North West.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What are the relatively affordable and safe places to live in Derbyshire?

[QUOTE=brits1;13180806]

1. Chesterfield
2. Dronfield
3. Ripley
4. Belper
5. Duffield

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you![/QUOTE)

Hi, it’s all depends really on your budget as parts of Derbyshire ie the Peak District can be more expensive. Matlock and Matlock Bath are nice areas as is Ashbourne, Melbourne and Repton, Bakewell are very nice Chesterfield is okay ish there are lots of lovely villages but you have to be careful as Derbyshire only has the M1 which skirts on the fridges of Derbyshire so in some places traffic can get a little busy. It’s what you really want out of your move or market town, village being in the fridges of a city, for me Nottingham is nicer than Sheffield the M1 is an excellent link to that part of the world you drive past Derby, Nottingham,
Sheffield, Leeds then it becomes the gateway to North Yorkshire, further down you are heading towards London and drive through Leicestershire Northamptonshire, all these counties have very good bit and some “bad bits” but you are driving away from the industrial buildings of the North and into what I think are the “England before the Industrial Revolution” which for me being a very proud Northerner just love the various architecture we usually do not have especially in the North West.
Thank you and I will have a look at those towns. It seems I have overlooked the importance of highway connection.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Road access can be a double-edged sword - major roads can bring traffic into an area that congests small towns with roads not designed for heavy traffic loads.

And on a related note, how do you feel about tourist traffic? Villages in the Peak District, and of course other areas of outstanding natural beauty, can attract a lot of traffic in the summer and weekends in spring and autumn.

Maybe somewhere like Dronfield would suit you better as an area to live, with the Peak District and Sheffield on your doorstep, but without the drawbacks of either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2023 at 2:55 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

I can second Repton and Melbourne, love the latter and I have a few friends who live there. There are lots of lovely places around Belper and the Amber Valley. Ashbourne area is one we are looking at to live when we return.
Ripley used to have a bit of a reputation when I used to work at Derby City General Hospital, now the Derby Royal. That's 17 years ago now.
All the best.
Old Mar 20th 2023, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I am planning to move to the UK and have been researching for decent places to reside for some time. Currently, I prefer living in somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham (i.e. I think that's mostly the area of Derbyshire) as I may be looking for a job in these two cities.

Are you a Brit?
Old Mar 20th 2023, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Road access can be a double-edged sword - major roads can bring traffic into an area that congests small towns with roads not designed for heavy traffic loads.

And on a related note, how do you feel about tourist traffic? Villages in the Peak District, and of course other areas of outstanding natural beauty, can attract a lot of traffic in the summer and weekends in spring and autumn.

Maybe somewhere like Dronfield would suit you better as an area to live, with the Peak District and Sheffield on your doorstep, but without the drawbacks of either.
I understand the tourist's bit very well as I used to live at a countryside tourist spot in Hong Kong. The traffic and the crowd during weekends really plagued me a lot.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
I can second Repton and Melbourne, love the latter and I have a few friends who live there. There are lots of lovely places around Belper and the Amber Valley. Ashbourne area is one we are looking at to live when we return.
Ripley used to have a bit of a reputation when I used to work at Derby City General Hospital, now the Derby Royal. That's 17 years ago now.
All the best.
Thank you for the recommendations. I saw that some of the places that you mentioned are at the south of Derby. I prefer living between Sheffield and Nottingham though so I can travel either northward or southward to maximize the chances of getting a job from these bigger cities.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I am planning to move to the UK and have been researching for decent places to reside for some time. Currently, I prefer living in somewhere between Sheffield and Nottingham (i.e. I think that's mostly the area of Derbyshire) as I may be looking for a job in these two cities.

Are you a Brit?
I'm a BNO holder from Hong Kong.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DrivingToyota;13180850]
Originally Posted by brits1

Thank you and I will have a look at those towns. It seems I have overlooked the importance of highway connection.
You could also look at Staffordshire as part of the county is also in the Peak District and is usually cheaper than the Derbyshire side of the district, you are not far from good links to the M6 which connects you to some of the cities in the west side of the country. I live in the Peak District (Derbyshire) and I can tell you that traffic can be bad as we have to cope with smaller roads but with more house building the population is rising hence so is the traffic ..a dual carriage way or bypass would help (never thought I would say that) sorry I forgot but do you need to commute for work? If not then you will not have that problem.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=brits1;13181056]

You could also look at Staffordshire as part of the county is also in the Peak District and is usually cheaper than the Derbyshire side of the district, you are not far from good links to the M6 which connects you to some of the cities in the west side of the country. I live in the Peak District (Derbyshire) and I can tell you that traffic can be bad as we have to cope with smaller roads but with more house building the population is rising hence so is the traffic ..a dual carriage way or bypass would help (never thought I would say that) sorry I forgot but do you need to commute for work? If not then you will not have that problem.
I think the OP is wanting to go more to the north-east of where you and I are suggesting Brits1. We used to live in Stapenhill, Burton-upon-Trent which was a great place to be. Used to go the back way through Bretby, Repton and Willington to Derby. Took the A50 from the Toyota roundabout to head to Nottingham. Used to go for lectures at either the QMC (nightmare to get to and park) or Nottingham City Hospital.
To the OP, consider areas around Alfreton, Tibshelf, Ridding, Somercotes. I'd avoid Matlock Bath, lots of tourists, bikers and less savoury stuff sadly.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 10:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
.... I'd avoid Matlock Bath, lots of tourists, bikers and less savoury stuff sadly.
I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow Matlock Bath became the "Blackpool of spa towns". But whatever caused it, it happened a long time ago - it was already trashy when I lived in Sheffield as a child.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2023 at 10:39 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=brits1;13181056]

I will have to commute on weekdays as I am planning to find a job in either Sheffield, Nottingham or Derby.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Chocolate eclair;13181219]
Originally Posted by brits1
I think the OP is wanting to go more to the north-east of where you and I are suggesting Brits1. We used to live in Stapenhill, Burton-upon-Trent which was a great place to be. Used to go the back way through Bretby, Repton and Willington to Derby. Took the A50 from the Toyota roundabout to head to Nottingham. Used to go for lectures at either the QMC (nightmare to get to and park) or Nottingham City Hospital.
To the OP, consider areas around Alfreton, Tibshelf, Ridding, Somercotes. I'd avoid Matlock Bath, lots of tourists, bikers and less savoury stuff sadly.
I had also looked into Alfreton, Somercotes and the surrounding area but the crime rate is a bit of a concern there, at least based on the data found on the Internet.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow Matlock Bath became the "Blackpool of spa towns". But whatever caused it, it happened a long time ago - it was already trashy when I lived in Sheffield as a child.
Indeed it did!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.