Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What qualifies you as an expat?

What qualifies you as an expat?

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

usanomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What qualifies you as an expat?

Hi, all! I'm a US citizen, and my partner is a UK citizen. We live a fairly nomadic lifestyle right now, and I imagine that after we get married, we will probably spend a couple years in the US, then a couple years in the UK, etc. and flip back and forth (as well as traveling the world) for a while. However, I just found out that the NHS has cut benefits for returning expats, and they have to wait for 6 months after firmly moving back to the UK. So...can anyone explain more? Here are some specific questions:
1. What qualifies you as an expat? If we have a "permanent" UK address, such as his parents' house, or a house we own and rent out, would we just be normal UK citizens? How long would we have to be away to be expats and lose our NHS rights?
2. If we moved back after being expats, would we have to prove we were going to stay in the UK forever, or could we just wait our 6 months, get our NHS rights back, leave after couple years, and then repeat when we wanted to come back?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What qualifies you as an expat?

Originally Posted by usanomad
Hi, all! I'm a US citizen, and my partner is a UK citizen. We live a fairly nomadic lifestyle right now, and I imagine that after we get married, we will probably spend a couple years in the US, then a couple years in the UK, etc. and flip back and forth (as well as traveling the world) for a while. However, I just found out that the NHS has cut benefits for returning expats, and they have to wait for 6 months after firmly moving back to the UK. So...can anyone explain more? Here are some specific questions:
1. What qualifies you as an expat? If we have a "permanent" UK address, such as his parents' house, or a house we own and rent out, would we just be normal UK citizens? How long would we have to be away to be expats and lose our NHS rights?
2. If we moved back after being expats, would we have to prove we were going to stay in the UK forever, or could we just wait our 6 months, get our NHS rights back, leave after couple years, and then repeat when we wanted to come back?

Thanks!
Hello...welcome to BE.

As you are considering moving to the US with your UK partner...you may want to post in our US Forums. Below is the link to the US forums...at the top of the page you will see an index to the various US forums. Questions regarding a visa for your future husband should be posted in the US Marriage Based Visas forum.

USA - British Expats

In the meantime...I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you regarding your questions about UK residence.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard of a waiting period for returnees to get NHS treatment.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...e-from-abroad/
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Unless you are both dual citizens of US and UK you won't be able to flip back and forth as you wish. Your US wife will only be able to visit the UK up to 6 months, and you will only be able to visit the US for up to 90 days.

A stay in either country longer than that requires visas; additionally, even if you get a visa for a longer stay in either country, leaving said country for two years and over (maybe even one year for US visa) will lapse your visas.

YOU, the Brit, are eligible for the NHS as soon as you are permanently resident, your wife will not be eligible for the NHS as a visitor.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 22nd 2016 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
You cannot pretend to be resident by using somebody else's address and even having a house of your own in the country does not make you a resident.

The good news is that whatever you have been told about using NHS is complete nonsense. If you are in UK on a holiday then you are not eligible for NHS, however if you return to live here then you can access NHS from day one.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
That's the least of your problems.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
I have not heard of a waiting period for returnees to get NHS treatment.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...e-from-abroad/
I read a few articles similar to this: British expats from outside Europe must pay for NHS hospital care - Telegraph

Did I misinterpret it? Clarification would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I read a few articles similar to this: British expats from outside Europe must pay for NHS hospital care - Telegraph

The clue is in...

A bill for 150 per cent of the cost of treatment will be handed to Britons LIVING OUTSIDE the European Economic Area if they don't have insurance
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I checked, the Telegraph is a newspaper, not a source of legal advice. No matter how "credible" the newspaper I wouldn't trust it for advice on so much as tying my shoelaces.

I was involved in a major news story back in the 1990's and knowing the facts of the story "from the inside" I was shocked at the utter tripe, often well-intentioned and published in good faith, but still twaddle, published by generally reputable newspapers upto and including the Telegraph, Times, Financial Times, and NY Times. I have never trusted a newspaper since then to get the precise facts right on anything.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you've passed the first test, which is the ability to spell "expat".
You'd be amazed how many people write "ex-pat".
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 9:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Here's one possible timeline for you;

1. Get married.
2. Obtain a visa for your wife to come to the U.S. as a permanent resident.
3. After 3 years as a permanent resident, she can apply to become a U.S. citizen.
4. Once she's a U.S. citizen, she can move back to the UK and apply for a spouse visa to enable you to come and live in the UK as a permanent resident.
5. After six years of living in UK, you can become a British citizen. (Not sure about the six year figure, others on here will have the correct figure.)
6. You are now both dual citizens, so can spend extended periods in UK, US at will.

SO - this is about an 11 or 12 year path to dual citizenship (3 plus 6 years plus various application periods of six months or a year.)
During this (let's say) 12 year period you can, of course, take a few weeks holiday abroad each year, but you basically have to be living and working in the applicable country of residence, in order to meet the residence requirement to retain the residence visa AND qualify for citizenship in the shortest time possible.

So it's doable, but will take a decade or more before you're footloose and fancy free. Healthcare will be one of the pitfalls you'll come across, yes..
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here's one possible timeline for you;

1. Get married.
2. Obtain a visa for your wife to come to the U.S. as a permanent resident.
3. After 3 years as a permanent resident, she can apply to become a U.S. citizen.
4. Once she's a U.S. citizen, she can move back to the UK and apply for a spouse visa to enable you to come and live in the UK as a permanent resident.
5. After six years of living in UK, you can become a British citizen. (Not sure about the six year figure, others on here will have the correct figure.)
6. You are now both dual citizens, so can spend extended periods in UK, US at will.

SO - this is about an 11 or 12 year path to dual citizenship (3 plus 6 years plus various application periods of six months or a year.)
During this (let's say) 12 year period you can, of course, take a few weeks holiday abroad each year, but you basically have to be living and working in the applicable country of residence, in order to meet the residence requirement to retain the residence visa AND qualify for citizenship in the shortest time possible.

So it's doable, but will take a decade or more before you're footloose and fancy free. Healthcare will be one of the pitfalls you'll come across, yes..
Thank you so much!! This is so helpful! Bookmarking.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much!! This is so helpful! Bookmarking.
Well it might be a helpful post. But step 4 might be more complicated than you would think and I am struggling to see what it has to do with your first post about access to NHS.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well it might be a helpful post. But step 4 might be more complicated than you would think and I am struggling to see what it has to do with your first post about access to NHS.
What about step 4 is going to be complicated? If you can share your knowledge, that would be great. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's the least of your problems.
OK, so what problems do you anticipate? Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.