Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What officially is the status?

Wikiposts

What officially is the status?

Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:39 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What officially is the status?

Originally Posted by Tracym
Thank you - I will check with the state. And you yes, accents smooth many paths - I will be glad if that part turns out easy.

There are a variety of reasons to know the official status though, I was not primarily/just interested in DMV.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ptable_id.html

this gives you the list of docs necessary to apply for a license in Illinois.

HTH
~SG
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ptable_id.html

this gives you the list of docs necessary to apply for a license in Illinois.

HTH
~SG
Thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
The only place I've run into a problem with anyone being overly picky about Sadegh's official immigration status, was in trying to get him life insurance. Since he's not yet a USC, and has a high probability of travelling to Iran, it's been hard to find someone to cover him at at all, let alone any reasonable rate!

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the correct legal term for an alien's status under the following conditions? What I'm asking is - for example there is non-immigrant visitor, LPR, etc.... but during AOS seems like a bit of limbo - what do you call that?

K-1 - I presume you're non-immigrant right?
After 90 days and AOS in progress - you're ?????
After AOS that's easy - green card

I've discovered when talking to insurance agents, govt ppl re. drivers license, etc. said persons have no clue what K-1 or AOS or anything else are, they want to know "the status"

Thanks.
Hi:

A K-1 is a nonimmigrant.

Pursuant to the terms of Immigration & Nationality Act -- if the K-1 marries the AmCit petitioner within 90 days, they are no longer removable and fit within the definition of "alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence." However, please note that DHS vehemently disagrees with the language of the INA and puts in an "interpretation" contrary to the language. [This is a subject of litigation these days].

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

A K-1 is a nonimmigrant.

Pursuant to the terms of Immigration & Nationality Act -- if the K-1 marries the AmCit petitioner within 90 days, they are no longer removable and fit within the definition of "alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence." However, please note that DHS vehemently disagrees with the language of the INA and puts in an "interpretation" contrary to the language. [This is a subject of litigation these days].

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Thanks for the info.

So just making sure I'm clear - the INA calls a K-1 after applying for AOS "alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence"

Are you saying DHS has some different status? If so, what is it?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So just making sure I'm clear - the INA calls a K-1 after applying for AOS "alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence"
That's not what Mr. F. said. Once the marriage takes place, the language kicks in. Filing for AOS isn't necessary, it's the marriage that's important... well, at least as far as the INA language is concerned.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's not what Mr. F. said. Once the marriage takes place, the language kicks in. Filing for AOS isn't necessary, it's the marriage that's important... well, at least as far as the INA language is concerned.

Ian
Ah good point, I missed that.

After we get married I'm sure we'll apply for AOS very shortly so it probably won't matter too much in practical terms. But it's good to be accurate.

So then in theory, a person could marry on a K-1 and just sit here and never apply for AOS? And they could stay legally?

Of course, that wouldn't be remotely practical, but interesting in theory.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So then in theory, a person could marry on a K-1 and just sit here and never apply for AOS? And they could stay legally?
Well... in theory, death rays from Mars were responsible for the assassination of JFK! As Mr. F. points out, the DHS does not interpret the INA properly... and that could initiate some unfortunate events if someone didn't file for AOS.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well... in theory, death rays from Mars were responsible for the assassination of JFK! As Mr. F. points out, the DHS does not interpret the INA properly... and that could initiate some unfortunate events if someone didn't file for AOS.

Ian
Hmm hadn't heard that theory. Creative though. I could think of a few people they could aim at next time...

Of course, I was never suggesting not AOSing as a practical solution. Just sounded like an odd hypothetical.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, I was never suggesting not AOSing as a practical solution. Just sounded like an odd hypothetical.
Immigration decisions and enforcement are nothing BUT odd.

Ian, it's better for the world if I do not post such a weird image. The British accent would work better on females; the German-sounding Dutch guy speaking English doesn't have the same effect. Plus we had Trooper Porkyguy looking over our documents and giving us the tenth degree. My fault for going to the least busy office -- which is in a regressively conservative county.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm hadn't heard that theory. Creative though. I could think of a few people they could aim at next time...

Hi:

I'm not the one being creative. It was the former INS.

This is the LAST published administrative case ever issued regarding the K-1:

Matter of Dawson http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol16/2694.pdf

In 1986, Congress passed the "IMFA" legislation. The last sentence of section 214(d) referenced in Dawson was repealed.

In implementation of the 1986 legislation, the former INS stated that the pre-1986 version provided for "automatic" adjustment even though the BIA had said there was "nothing 'automatic'" about the process. Also, the provision repealing the last sentence of 214(d) was described as requiring adjustment under section 245 -- which is strange because another section of the same legislation expressly prohibited adjustment under section 245.

This interpretation would put a patently absurd twist on what Congress did. This is subject to litigation right now. At least one District Court found this "reasonable" [I was the attorney ]. That case is currently on appeal.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm not the one being creative. It was the former INS.

This is the LAST published administrative case ever issued regarding the K-1:

Matter of Dawson http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol16/2694.pdf

In 1986, Congress passed the "IMFA" legislation. The last sentence of section 214(d) referenced in Dawson was repealed.

In implementation of the 1986 legislation, the former INS stated that the pre-1986 version provided for "automatic" adjustment even though the BIA had said there was "nothing 'automatic'" about the process. Also, the provision repealing the last sentence of 214(d) was described as requiring adjustment under section 245 -- which is strange because another section of the same legislation expressly prohibited adjustment under section 245.

This interpretation would put a patently absurd twist on what Congress did. This is subject to litigation right now. At least one District Court found this "reasonable" [I was the attorney ]. That case is currently on appeal.
Far be it from me to call you creative I was actually referring there to Ian's death rays from mars.

Interesting case, I think I (mostly) followed the "attorney-speak". I get the gist of it.

So... as you said, the INA calls a K-1 who mas married within the 90 days "alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence"

What is DHS's interpretation? What do THEY call him/her?

This may be passing beyond practicality, but it is most interesting.