Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

so it's a grey drizzly day................

so it's a grey drizzly day................

Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:32 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default so it's a grey drizzly day................

Yep - autumn is upon us and it is a grey drizzly day here on the south coast of England, just having a browse on the Aussie forum and see it's 32 and sunny in Perth where we used to live, before we came back to the UK some 4 months ago now.

As I was reading the posts from some of the Perthites about their plans for the day - barbies, beach etc., I thought to myself would I want to be back there...well the answer is deffo 'no', despite some nice memories of some good days in the sun over there nothing can compensate for the homesickness and sadness I felt when we lived there.

I know there's a few of you deliberating about whether to return home or not, it's so hard when your heart tells you to want to back in the UK, but your head is telling you the weather/outdoor lifestyle/size of your house/the fact your kids are settled etc etc. means you should stay put.

Well me I'm a heart person, so yes, on balance when I now sit here and picture myself back on Cottesloe beach on a sunny day and I compare it with being sat here with my kids fighting in the background 'cos they can't play outside 'cos of the drizzle, I still feel so lucky and happy to be living back here.

As some wise person once said 'If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!'
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so it's a grey drizzly day................

Originally Posted by pommybird
Yep - autumn is upon us and it is a grey drizzly day here on the south coast of England, just having a browse on the Aussie forum and see it's 32 and sunny in Perth where we used to live, before we came back to the UK some 4 months ago now.

As I was reading the posts from some of the Perthites about their plans for the day - barbies, beach etc., I thought to myself would I want to be back there...well the answer is deffo 'no', despite some nice memories of some good days in the sun over there nothing can compensate for the homesickness and sadness I felt when we lived there.

I know there's a few of you deliberating about whether to return home or not, it's so hard when your heart tells you to want to back in the UK, but your head is telling you the weather/outdoor lifestyle/size of your house/the fact your kids are settled etc etc. means you should stay put.

Well me I'm a heart person, so yes, on balance when I now sit here and picture myself back on Cottesloe beach on a sunny day and I compare it with being sat here with my kids fighting in the background 'cos they can't play outside 'cos of the drizzle, I still feel so lucky and happy to be living back here.

As some wise person once said 'If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!'
So true Pommybird.
Funnily enough I got up this morn and after pottering about got a surge of excitement knowing I had an endless choice of places to go for a change, one of the things I did miss whilst in Oz. So I got in the car n drove to Padstow. Lovely. And it was pissing down and all misty when I left. On the way back, that lovely gentle autumnal light on the hills and the twees a turning - beauty mate
Good luck to all of you struggling with the decision if to stay or return, tis not much fun when you're unsure.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fantastic! Glad you are out of the 'should we or shouldn't we?'!!!! It's not a nice place to be!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 9:50 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree - there is no place like home even when it's raining.

I've just been to the rugby league Grand Final at Old Trafford tonight. It was a bit drizzly and grey but then Russell Watson took to the centre of the pitch and opened the match singing Jerusalem - boy I sobbed!!

My team lost unfortunately but I still came home singing and with a smile on my face for experiencing a wonderful evening
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD

I've just been to the rugby league Grand Final at Old Trafford tonight. It was a bit drizzly and grey but then Russell Watson took to the centre of the pitch and opened the match singing Jerusalem - boy I sobbed!!

My team lost unfortunately but I still came home singing and with a smile on my face for experiencing a wonderful evening
Beaten by a bleedin Yorkshire team too Wigan fan myself but will cheer for the Lancastrian team every time
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:51 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I have just taken a walk down to the paper shop. It is a sharp, cold foggy morning. Geeez i'm loving it. I had forgotten that fresh chilly autumn air where your steamy breath floats off when you exhale. Not a soul about and the ground laden with red orange and brown leaves.... ahhhhh bliss
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:06 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Birdy, Flea, Louise - so glad you are all happy to be home!

P.S just realised my original post has a typo - we've been back 14 months not 4 and yes we're STILL happy to be home!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:48 am
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Think the wise person was Dolly Parton!

But on a more serious note have to agree with you. For me, the good far outweighs the bad whereas in oz the crap always outweighed the good. Glad you are still happy

TTxx
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Nice when you read all these posts about being happy back in UK. My wobbly days have been bad this week especially now as the weather is getting warmer. I am still worried about jobs, houses etc and of course the kids. My little lad is only 5 but he seems so far behind academically I am worried he will be picked on at school back there and struggle.

I know deep down we are doing the right thing for us, especially as the reasons we are going back are outweighing the ones to stay but funny how you still look round and think it looks so much better when the suns shines Dunno why i feel like this Ive hated being here since we moved here
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Nice when you read all these posts about being happy back in UK. My wobbly days have been bad this week especially now as the weather is getting warmer. I am still worried about jobs, houses etc and of course the kids. My little lad is only 5 but he seems so far behind academically I am worried he will be picked on at school back there and struggle.

I know deep down we are doing the right thing for us, especially as the reasons we are going back are outweighing the ones to stay but funny how you still look round and think it looks so much better when the suns shines Dunno why i feel like this Ive hated being here since we moved here
Don't worry about your boy. We moved back to the UK when my eldest was 6, she missed reception year and entered year 1 on our return after completing 4 months of kindy in Canada. She was a little behind but after 3 months of hard work and the teacher being excellent she was up with all of her class and ahead of some.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD

Sounds like you had a good time Louise, pity about the result but I can relate to that being a Wigan Athletic fan! lol. We have more than our fair share of defeats over the season!

Originally Posted by northernbird
Beaten by a bleedin Yorkshire team too Wigan fan myself but will cheer for the Lancastrian team every time
Nice to hear that you're a Wigan fan, keep up the good work!

PS - Excellent post Pommybird, I thought you summed up many peoples thoughts very well.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:00 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Sounds like you had a good time Louise, pity about the result but I can relate to that being a Wigan Athletic fan! lol. We have more than our fair share of defeats over the season!

Nice to hear that you're a Wigan fan, keep up the good work!

PS - Excellent post Pommybird, I thought you summed up many peoples thoughts very well.
Hey Stu - how's it going? Are you still enjoying your return?