What needs to be done...?

Old May 30th 2009, 8:38 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What needs to be done...?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Is that confusing? Why?
Never mind. I have just heard the best possible piece of news, a real happy ending kind of event, so I'm off to be a kid again today and celebrate!
A really good note on which to draw an ending to my stay in Oz.

Have a good day everyone!
Old May 30th 2009, 10:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
A 21 year old adult who asked for advice on going to the UK.
Exactly. That's what I gave him, advice that would help him when he's looking for jobs ... I deal with writing skills of people his age in the UK all the time (including applications for postgraduate studentships and jobs) and I was very impressed by the fact he doesn't use "txt spk", even in an informal forum like this. Surely as a business owner who presumably evaluates potential employees you can appreciate the value of that trait in a young adult?

For some reason, you chose to turn a compliment and relevant advice into a cycnical opportunity to label me as "patronising" (I guess you didn't read the part where I said I wasn't being patronising?). If you want to see patronising, read some of your own posts, particularly your little series of diatribes on fat people.

I just don't get your attitude at all. You swing from high drama into sweetness and light into spitting cynicism within minutes of posting on this forum.
Old May 30th 2009, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

EvoIX_MR2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Exactly. That's what I gave him, advice that would help him when he's looking for jobs ... I deal with writing skills of people his age in the UK all the time (including applications for postgraduate studentships and jobs) and I was very impressed by the fact he doesn't use "txt spk", even in an informal forum like this. Surely as a business owner who presumably evaluates potential employees you can appreciate the value of that trait in a young adult?

For some reason, you chose to turn a compliment and relevant advice into a cycnical opportunity to label me as "patronising" (I guess you didn't read the part where I said I wasn't being patronising?). If you want to see patronising, read some of your own posts, particularly your little series of diatribes on fat people.

I just don't get your attitude at all. You swing from high drama into sweetness and light into spitting cynicism within minutes of posting on this forum.
I'm glad to see that forum-drama is not specific to just a few forums!

Thanks for the compliments, it's sort of required for what I do; I run my own IT consulting business and have been working in the corporate world since I was 17.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try and reciprocate wherever possible, but until I get over to the UK and settle in, I'm not sure what help I'll be in this particular category!
Old May 30th 2009, 11:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvoIX_MR2006

Thanks for the compliments, it's sort of required for what I do; I run my own IT consulting business and have been working in the corporate world since I was 17.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try and reciprocate wherever possible, but until I get over to the UK and settle in, I'm not sure what help I'll be in this particular category!
Once there you can help my son with interview/job application advice He'll be 21 soon and will finish up his last year at Uni in 09/10 school year.
Not sure why but he'll listen to what others say before his Mum
Old May 31st 2009, 6:26 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you the best of luck. Hope it all works out for you.
Old May 31st 2009, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

My Niece has been lucky enough to work (teach) in other English speaking countries and she says the same thing about "good old fashioned English grammer....it is rarely used properly with "todays youth".....the same the world over I should imagine......such a shame...
Old May 31st 2009, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

First time posting here, but have been lurking for a while. This site is excellent, and contains a wide variety of useful information - so much so, it's nearly confused me!

I am 21 years of age, nearly graduated from University here in the USA. I am considering a move (back?) to the UK. Over the past 4 years, life over here just hasn't quite been good. What family I have over here, is tearing itself apart. (Mum, Dad, Sister) I need to get away from it all, with an added benefit of seeing my entire family - some for the first time - for longer than a few weeks. Let me explain my situation a bit.

Both my parents are British Citizens, having moved to the states 2 years before I was born. I maintain a current British passport that states my nationality as 'British' (Though, I assume all British passports state this). I have never lived in the UK, though, and this is where my questions come in. From what I'd gathered prior to today, I wouldn't need to get a Visa for moving there since I am a British citizen. For the first 6 months, I'd be living with a relative while settling in. However, I was looking around here today and stumbled upon the UK Border Agency website which had a 'calculator', if you will, that allowed you to input your situation. Mine, of course is, British National living overseas in the US.

This calculator spit out that I will need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm planning on jumping ship no later than May 31st of 2010, so I wanted to start taking the necessary steps to get this done prior to that date. What else would I need to do to live and work permanently in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, especially if you can lend a hand and respond!
Good luck and best wishes to you..reading the advice quoted you should have no problems living and working in the U.K....if anything else just think of the experience of working/living overseas...."all a good life lesson"....hope things improve with your family and maybe a break will do some good....
Old May 31st 2009, 10:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What needs to be done...?

Hello All,

First time posting here, but have been lurking for a while. This site is excellent, and contains a wide variety of useful information - so much so, it's nearly confused me!

I am 21 years of age, nearly graduated from University here in the USA. I am considering a move (back?) to the UK. Over the past 4 years, life over here just hasn't quite been good. What family I have over here, is tearing itself apart. (Mum, Dad, Sister) I need to get away from it all, with an added benefit of seeing my entire family - some for the first time - for longer than a few weeks. Let me explain my situation a bit.

Both my parents are British Citizens, having moved to the states 2 years before I was born. I maintain a current British passport that states my nationality as 'British' (Though, I assume all British passports state this). I have never lived in the UK, though, and this is where my questions come in. From what I'd gathered prior to today, I wouldn't need to get a Visa for moving there since I am a British citizen. For the first 6 months, I'd be living with a relative while settling in. However, I was looking around here today and stumbled upon the UK Border Agency website which had a 'calculator', if you will, that allowed you to input your situation. Mine, of course is, British National living overseas in the US.

This calculator spit out that I will need a Visa. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm planning on jumping ship no later than May 31st of 2010, so I wanted to start taking the necessary steps to get this done prior to that date. What else would I need to do to live and work permanently in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, especially if you can lend a hand and respond!

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the beauty of you being a British citizen not only allows you to live and work in the other EU countries, but you can also get a 12 month Working Holiday Visa for Australia (also NZ but with fewer visas available) if aged between 18-30. You can't do this on a US passport, but it might be something to consider!

http://www.pure-australia.co.uk/aust...liday-visa.asp

http://www.tntdownunder.com/ (jobs and classifieds)

You might find some useful info here for jobs, accommodation and classified ads:

http://tntonline.co.uk/tnt_today/ (London-centric).
http://www.gumtree.com/ (UK cities and worldwide)
Old May 31st 2009, 10:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you took my compliments in the spirit they were intended. I'm not surprised you have run your own business for the past 4 years. I think you're going to do just fine in the UK - or Oz, if Englishmum has her way! Good luck.

Last edited by dunroving; May 31st 2009 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:29 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Now i feel all aggrieved How come Dunroving didnt get a mention. He started off arguing with her *sulk*
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:40 pm
Banned

I believe I did suggest to Dunroving to PM me and I'd be happy to discuss. I'm more than happy not to engage in any comments with Flea on any level.