What a huge mistake

Old May 25th 2004, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Natashia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What a huge mistake

>>>>> And it amazes me, as always, that people cannot criticise Oz..>>>>>

I'm not Australian so you can give constructive critisism, but not just to "slag" it off.

What leap of logic got you to 'cannot..find work, nor make friends' ? I, and no doubt many others who choose to leave Oz achieved all these.>>>>>>

I noticed that in one of your post that your friends were other expats. Reading many of the posts why people go back to UK, loniness, missing friends is some of things mentioned, people can make friends anywhere if they are that type. Old friends get replaced with new ones in a new life.

If you mean by 'settle', acceptance of Oz's parochial mediocrity and racisms (I note that you don't even bother to mention aborigines) - then, sorry, no can do.>>>>>>>>>

And of course the British are not racist? I don't mention Aborgines because they are not people who have emigrated, it was their land. But okay since you mentioned it, look how the Britiish treated them and not so long ago either. Go up to north of England and see racism in its glory and of course other towns.

You should get out more. >>>>>>

Maybe you should.

And how do prostitutes dress, exactly? Looks like you should get out more, but perhaps to different places.>>>>>>

Get out more, been to most of the major cities and towns in UK, and of course I see the woman tourist in Europe, tight tops, showing their fat belllies, come on look at how the French woman dress, Italian, Spanish, no comparison, but then again most foreign men think British woman "easy" anyway.... Maybe they should get out more, but of course they are used to more classier women. It is why my father married an Italian woman,. He was in Australia because he was a Doctor, and they needed him..

Now, please excuse me if I don't comment on the rest of your low-brow rant. >>>>>>

Of course I didn't expect you to comment, because you are an Englishman and I was of course critising Britishiness back......I can do so because I am half British so have every right to see the faults of my fathers homeland.as you feel the right to critisise Oz....

Don't worry I won't be too long on this forum, I stumbled across it and it is half what I expected.

An interesing thing happened also today I was talking to an English lady and she said she didn't like the French nor the Germans, hated them. When I said some countries hated the English, she replied that is terrirble to judge "us" all the same, It made me laugh.....it is okay to hate everyone else but not for everyone to hate the people of her country.
Old May 25th 2004, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

got me worried then! Glad to see life is good again-can't wait! Funny though that people have to knock this though huh?

Originally posted by MikeStanton
What were we thinking?

After 12 years in Oz, we got on a plane and came back to UK.

What possessed us...

...to wait so f***ing long! We've been back a couple of months and we both say the same thing "It's great to feel alive again".

Jeez, living in Oz was like long-term, self-administered euthanasia. Because so many things in Oz are boring, you don't notice the 'Aussie Coma' - it just creeps up on you.

Thankfully, we're back in UK. Praise the Lord!

Who cares about oppressively hot weather and beaches? If we want them in the future, we can choose to - Greece, Spain...

Oz excels at two things - the second one, ironically, is mediocrity (for those of you reading this in Adelaide/Brisbane and Oz country towns, "The first one is sport. That's right s-p-o-r-t. Now, that's enough excitement for one day. It's time you returned to your sheltered workshop, aka DIMIA")

Why do blandness and mediocrity rule in Oz? Because Aussies like to see themselves as a great egalitarian society, mate - which means they are suspicious of anything that does not appeal to the lowest common denominator. And the biggest joke is that the gap between rich and poor in Oz is rapidly approaching that of such 'class-ridden' countries as UK.

Given the lack of anything approaching stimulating debate in Oz, I was surprised to see that only 88% of Aussies want to live in Oz. Given the Aussies' parochialism and racist views - is anyone surprised?

Yet no criticism from the Aussie Witnesses, stating how misleading statistics are (although, they never actually explain why). Let me do it for you, I don't believe '88% of Aussies think'. Period

wombat42 - thank you for your penetrating insights. Which Oz fascist organisation did you have in mind? There are so many to choose from. One Nation, Liberals or Labor (notice the rakish spelling that Aussies adopt). I know, it's difficult to choose between the leaders - they are all back-biting, intellectual midgets and a tad racist. Or how about the Greens? That bloke has so little charisma, he was probably beaten-up in the school playground......by the girls.

But, let's leave the last word to Dan, a bloke in his mid-20s, who was in a business meeting I attended today in London. After the meeting, we had a quick coffee:

Dan: "I hear you lived in Oz for a few years. What did you think of it?"

Me: - attempting to search for the most flattering thing I could say, without lying: "Nice beaches. Work-wise, it's not very challenging"

Dan: "I was there for a year. That's was enough for me - I couldn't imagine staying there. It's the Australians - no culture"
Old May 25th 2004, 1:07 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

That bloke has so little charisma, he was probably beaten-up in the school playground......by the girls.
Fair go Stanton...I for one was regularly beaten-off in the school playground......by the girls. Never did me no harm...
Old May 25th 2004, 1:51 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Fair go Stanton...I for one was regularly beaten-off in the school playground......by the girls. Never did me no harm...
Right Stanton...now I'm mad...I may not know the difference between off and up...but I know a True Australian Cultural Iconic Legend when I see one.
Old May 25th 2004, 3:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Come come now Mike, don't hold back.
Glad you're happier in the UK, as many people are.
I have to agree with many of your criticisms of Australia, but one thing I don't agree with is:
so many things in Oz are boring
Boredness comes from a lack of stimulation.
Sources of stimulation differ for everyone. After 12 years it appears you've found a source that suits (for now?).
Locked up in a cell for 12 years - now that's boring.
Barring (sic) that, I don't think I could describe any country as boring. It's what you do with your time that counts.

Last edited by JulesandChris; May 25th 2004 at 5:50 am.
Old May 25th 2004, 4:13 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Mike,

I'm not going to defend my country against your views 'cos I know the underlying emotion only too well; there ain't no place like home.

Assuming you're serious of course.

Old May 25th 2004, 5:23 am
mad bunny

Hi Natashia,
I'm sure you are beautiful in every respect!
O.K. I lied!
Leave out your gob!
Young, slim. atheletic, mature and well balanced!
Aint' we all! Yeah right!!! I'm sure that is not you either!
Then to continu. Please do not disrespect women of any culture whatsoever!
You appear to harbour a particular degree of malevolence, insofar as british women.
There are a lot of beautiful women, british et cetera!
British women, as do all women, come in all shapes and sizes, as does age and intellect.
Does the term British Rose not spring to mind! As does not the fair french, or the spunkey spaniards!
Sorry Babe, (babe, being a condescending term in this post), you have not enamoured me with your post.
Natashia, not to bright a post.
I do trust that you have the maturity to see that.
If not then maybe after kids, or with age, or with whatever life experience meets you, you will learn to realise that you need more than the fading realities of life, like looks, and figure, to keep you going!
Please remember that when you are referring to women dressing as 'prostitutes', you are implying that women can not dress how ever they wish, or how they feel comfortable.
Open the debate baby girl, and yes I'm being defamatory.
Maybe as rude as you!
That is not to bright at ALL!
Regards
Julie

Old May 25th 2004, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

What were we thinking?

After 12 years in Oz, we got on a plane and came back to UK.

What possessed us...

...to wait so f***ing long! We've been back a couple of months and we both say the same thing "It's great to feel alive again".

Jeez, living in Oz was like long-term, self-administered euthanasia. Because so many things in Oz are boring, you don't notice the 'Aussie Coma' - it just creeps up on you.

Thankfully, we're back in UK. Praise the Lord!

Who cares about oppressively hot weather and beaches? If we want them in the future, we can choose to - Greece, Spain...

Oz excels at two things - the second one, ironically, is mediocrity (for those of you reading this in Adelaide/Brisbane and Oz country towns, "The first one is sport. That's right s-p-o-r-t. Now, that's enough excitement for one day. It's time you returned to your sheltered workshop, aka DIMIA")

Why do blandness and mediocrity rule in Oz? Because Aussies like to see themselves as a great egalitarian society, mate - which means they are suspicious of anything that does not appeal to the lowest common denominator. And the biggest joke is that the gap between rich and poor in Oz is rapidly approaching that of such 'class-ridden' countries as UK.

Given the lack of anything approaching stimulating debate in Oz, I was surprised to see that only 88% of Aussies want to live in Oz. Given the Aussies' parochialism and racist views - is anyone surprised?

Yet no criticism from the Aussie Witnesses, stating how misleading statistics are (although, they never actually explain why). Let me do it for you, I don't believe '88% of Aussies think'. Period

wombat42 - thank you for your penetrating insights. Which Oz fascist organisation did you have in mind? There are so many to choose from. One Nation, Liberals or Labor (notice the rakish spelling that Aussies adopt). I know, it's difficult to choose between the leaders - they are all back-biting, intellectual midgets and a tad racist. Or how about the Greens? That bloke has so little charisma, he was probably beaten-up in the school playground......by the girls.

But, let's leave the last word to Dan, a bloke in his mid-20s, who was in a business meeting I attended today in London. After the meeting, we had a quick coffee:

Dan: "I hear you lived in Oz for a few years. What did you think of it?"

Me: - attempting to search for the most flattering thing I could say, without lying: "Nice beaches. Work-wise, it's not very challenging"

Dan: "I was there for a year. That's was enough for me - I couldn't imagine staying there. It's the Australians - no culture"
Hi MIKE, Great to have you back, don't let them get to you, keep posting, one day I hope to escape to my homeland.
to quote Billy Connelly.
Wont you stay ,stay a while in your homeland
the world is so cold don't care nothing for soul you share
with your homeland.
Old May 25th 2004, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ulujain
Mike,

I'm not going to defend my country against your views 'cos I know the underlying emotion only too well; there ain't no place like home.

Assuming you're serious of course.

Ulujain, I admire your style, well maybe not all the time but yesterday.

For those who dont know what I am on about, A nice thread on "where are you going to in OZ" turned into immigrants calling the native people of OZ abbos :scared: and worse claiming it was acceptable I was mortified just reading it.

Ulujain, defending Aboriginals and pointing out that OZ has many more sides to it than the "white live by the beach class" (my term but I dont know how else to describe it), was admirable, save your defenses for worthy arguments like that.

Edit, back again, I feel strongly about this, the OZ portrayed on UK TV is in the majority about the picutre perfect side of OZ, the OZ forum reflects this, look at the outrage when people living in OZ suggest it has crime, drugs, race problems etc, many people dont even want to believe it. The way I hear it back in my own country you would think eveyone in OZ was blonde with a beach front mansion How different reality is

Last edited by dotty; May 25th 2004 at 6:57 am.
Old May 25th 2004, 7:56 am
o_0

Originally posted by dotty
Ulujain, I admire your style, well maybe not all the time but yesterday.

For those who dont know what I am on about, A nice thread on "where are you going to in OZ" turned into immigrants calling the native people of OZ abbos :scared: and worse claiming it was acceptable I was mortified just reading it.

Ulujain, defending Aboriginals and pointing out that OZ has many more sides to it than the "white live by the beach class" (my term but I dont know how else to describe it), was admirable, save your defenses for worthy arguments like that.

Edit, back again, I feel strongly about this, the OZ portrayed on UK TV is in the majority about the picutre perfect side of OZ, the OZ forum reflects this, look at the outrage when people living in OZ suggest it has crime, drugs, race problems etc, many people dont even want to believe it. The way I hear it back in my own country you would think eveyone in OZ was blonde with a beach front mansion How different reality is

Dotty, I'm a major crusader for righting the wrongs instigated by Australia's image abroad.

Here in the US I've fended off so many questions about crocodiles, Paul Hogan, shrimps on the barbie, it's beyond belief. It's to be expected. A wealth of movies and tourism commercials have doomed us.

Still, the US is not short of public perception dramas either. The overseas image of Americans all being argumentative, running around going "OMG! OMG!", simultaneously suing people and filing for divorce is far from the truth as well.

Australia has crime. So does everywhere. But per capita, per person, Australia is a halcyon paradise compared to the country I live in. Check out the US's crime statistics some time; they make sad reading. The UK's stats aren't flattering either.

I have the choice to where I raise my two girls. America isn't the choice. I'm taking them and my wife home.

I lived in Australia from birth till I moved to the US at age 29 in 1998. It amuses and, concurrently, angers me, to read the errant nonsense like you've mentioned above, about Abo being a term of endearment. I'm positive it's a term of endearment to a yobbo or a skinhead. Yes, I found tina and pompeywill's comments to be jaw-droppingly insular and a product of sheer ignorance and, hell, Tina lives in Australia, for chrissakes.

Hopefully Ptlabs's locking of that particular thread has enlightened her and opened her eyes a little.

It's amusing to be "educated" by a Portsmouth-residing English person about my own country too.

Presumption is everywhere.

Australians do like their labels, this is true. But we do understand that a label can be applied wrongly and offensively.

We are no longer a yobbo nation of FJ driving louts.

Anyhow, enough lecturing.

:lecture:
Old May 25th 2004, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty

You're absolutely right Dotty. The ignorance is astounding & offensive.
And well said to Ulujain.

Welcome back Mike. You've been missed!
Old May 25th 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty, I'm a major crusader for righting the wrongs instigated by Australia's image abroad...
Good post.

On the crime front, compared with UK, Oz doesn't come out well - especially for drugs and sex crimes. And missing tourists:scared:

At the moment, in the UK, there is a series about a Brit family emigrating to Q'land (it's discussed in the other forum). I wonder how many aborigines will appear in that show?

Zero? Or the nominal one, to entertain the tourists?

Place your bets please...
Old May 25th 2004, 9:27 am
o_0

Good post.

On the crime front, compared with UK, Oz doesn't come out well - especially for drugs and sex crimes. And missing tourists:scared:

At the moment, in the UK, there is a series about a Brit family emigrating to Q'land (it's discussed in the other forum). I wonder how many aborigines will appear in that show?

Zero? Or the nominal one, to entertain the tourists?

Place your bets please...
Missing tourists? Bah, they've been going missing for years. Some of them get found; Ivan Milat got a few of them, saltwater crocs get a few, yet some, like Ludwig Leichhardt, are never seen again...

As for the UK reality show, they'll probably take Norm the Concrete Aboriginal out of storage and polish him up for their benefit.

I'm sure they'll find the stereotypical "ocker" personality as well. Yabbie pump in one hand, esky in the other.
Old May 25th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I found tina and pompeywill's comments to be jaw-droppingly insular and a product of sheer ignorance and, hell, Tina lives in Australia, for chrissakes.

It's amusing to be "educated" by a Portsmouth-residing English person about my own country too.

Ah, Pompey will.....he thinks he has a right to live in Australia because he is British and the Queen s is on the Aussie banknotes. Still thinks that Britian is at the heart of Australia.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...s&pagenumber=4
"I certainly dont feel like an immigrant coming to Aus. I feel I have a right to live in Australia.
Our queen still sits on the banknotes, the union jack still fly's on the Flag.
Britain is the heart of Australia and unless you are an aborigine, pommie blood runs through most Aussies veins."
Old May 25th 2004, 10:55 am
o_0

Bob Hawke shot down Pompeywill's neo-colonial plans in 1983. Now, the English (and folk from the UK in general) are no better or worse than say, Laotians or Mauretanians in the eyes of the Australian Govt. All the same.

Doesn't sound like Pompeywill wants to emigrate anyway. Sounds more like he wants to take his piece of Portsmouth with him and live in his own world. If he starts calling Aboriginals "Abo's" he'll be in his own world of hurt.

I think I speak for a lot of Australians when I say his kind aren't welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.