What have you learnt?

Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default What have you learnt?

In the time that you have been away from the UK?

We've been gone for just over a year and are due to return in August.

For me I have learnt that I don't really need the big 4 bedroomed house that we sold before we left. I don't really need 2 bathrooms and I certainly don't need all the electricals, tupperware, serving platters and furniture that we do have!

So much that we're doing things the different way round in that we're selling everything and setting up again when we return.

We're heading back to a 2 bedroom cottage with a lovely garden.

I do however (and will never get over) selling my beloved BMW before we left the UK.....if only I thought to leave it with a friend!

I have also learnt that although I don't have any immeditate family in the UK, my friends (the real true ones) are hugely important to me and my life and family.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you learnt?

Originally Posted by Kingseat
In the time that you have been away from the UK?

We've been gone for just over a year and are due to return in August.

For me I have learnt that I don't really need the big 4 bedroomed house that we sold before we left. I don't really need 2 bathrooms and I certainly don't need all the electricals, tupperware, serving platters and furniture that we do have!

So much that we're doing things the different way round in that we're selling everything and setting up again when we return.

We're heading back to a 2 bedroom cottage with a lovely garden.

I do however (and will never get over) selling my beloved BMW before we left the UK.....if only I thought to leave it with a friend!

I have also learnt that although I don't have any immeditate family in the UK, my friends (the real true ones) are hugely important to me and my life and family.
That you never know what life will throw at you next.

That "home" means a lot of different things to different people.

That wherever you live, there you are (Google it).

That you should think very carefully before giving up what you have presently.

Last edited by dunroving; Jun 30th 2010 at 7:48 am.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:40 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm.... well, I've learnt some things being here for the best part of 2 years...

Location means nothing really, it's who you share it with that matters the most.

That happiness is my decision and mine alone. Nobody else can make me feel happy or unhappy, unless I choose to let them. ( I was surprised at this, but it really was a simple as making a decision not to let the actions/words of others affect my mood)

I've also learnt that I also have way too much plastic in my kitchen cupboards!

Lastly, I've learnt that spending money on experiences rather than products certainly makes me happier.... I don't regret spending the best part of £30,000 getting us over here..... It's been a whole lot more fun than buying a new car or paying another chunk off of the mortgage!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

sheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud ofsheffspurs has much to be proud of

Allipally you are so true in what you say!

We spent the best part of 50 grand on our Canadian experience including buying a house and a car along with student fees, they were the happiest two years of my life. Alas not the same for my wife and hence the reason for being back in Blighty. I would not have swopped it for the world and yes definately far better than car buying or paying off a mortgage.

I have been back exactly a year now and although we both have great jobs and good salaries, she is truly happy and I feel permanently lost. I have read threads on here about not feeling as though you belong and that is so me. I try to keep it to myself most days so as not to cause long term damage but it is a strange feeling. The UK is still a good place to live and has many quality attributes.

I most definately learnt that I am not at all materialistic and that when I had very little in terms of disposable income in Canada with a low paid job that was very rewarding I was in heaven. In the UK I am off soon to Egypt for an all inclusive holiday and later in the year off to Marrakech for another all inclusive but I am bleeding miserable?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:50 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

To appreciate the little things that are taken for granted in the UK
(24 hours clean water - oh to be able to brush my teeth with tap water!!)

Not to gripe about little things too much as so many are in such difficult situations around the world.

To enjoy the rain that goes down the drain!!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned.
I'm a worrier
People before things
Family and friends are all that count in the end.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've learned.
I'm a worrier
People before things
Family and friends are all that count in the end.
You sound like me. Couldn't agree more
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

karin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nice

I've learnt that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side, and also that what makes you happy might not make your partner happy, and that is a very difficult issue to resolve.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Grass is not always greener. Sharing life with family and friends is more important to me than the open space, cheaper housing etc. Also living in Toronto in general is not that cheap!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

As many of you have already pointed out I've learned that connections with people and places are important to me and that I'd taken it for granted before.
Real meaningful connections with friends and family and also sometimes complete strangers. Last year while waiting for a flight to Glasgow I got chatting to a Glasweigan woman about my age and for 20 mins we swapped life stories, had a laugh and then went our separate ways. That never happens here in BC.
I've learned that I don't want a lovely big house that uses up all my money so that I can't afford to ski or go to Hawaii and that 4 toilets to clean ( with 3 boys somehow always managing to miss them ) is way too many.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys
I've learnt that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side, and also that what makes you happy might not make your partner happy, and that is a very difficult issue to resolve.
I totally agree with your comments as i have said on many of these forums that emmigration can cost you your marriage, it hasn't ours but we were nearly there when I didn't settle in NZ and hubby and kids loved it!!!

Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Pablo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please indulge me…………

I rocked back in my chair, one foot hooked under the base of the heavy wrought iron table and tilted my head slightly to maximise the warm sun on my face. The wine, a crisp, dry white, effected in me a pleasant, happy disposition, aided as it was by the revitalising rays of the sun. On entering the small courtyard the scent of jasmine, honey suckles and lavender invaded the senses. The table where I sat was partially shaded under the blossom laden branches of a Morello cherry tree and the weathered brick walls were the hue of terracotta mixed with pewter. An occasional breeze coming off the harbour rustled the fronds of the surrounding palms, causing their long broken shadows, to dance over the other empty tables and uneven flag floor. One gust, a little stronger than the others, released a light shower of white petals, which fluttered down like a fine dusting of snow. I was early; I always seem to be, this time in anticipation of good food shared with friends.

Taking the bottle out of the dented ice bucket, she proceeded to top up my glass and as she did I couldn’t help but catch her glance, almond shaped eyes set in a classically proportioned face. A slightly more Latin version of Jane Seymour. She replaced the bottle in the ice bucket and disappeared into the kitchen. I again rocked back on my chair when suddenly the pigeons and sea birds that had been roosting amongst the red tiled roofs, squawked and flapped as a pair of Little Egrets flew over. Further off and wheeling high on thermals I could just make out a pair of large birds of prey soaring high above the harbour. Peregrines were occasionally seen over the old town, but these looked to be Common European Buzzards. These impressive predators recognisable by their thick short neck, broad almost moth like wings, and fan tail are plentiful here in these southern climes. They probably had young to feed and had obviously taken an interest in the chicks nested in the roofs above the cobbled streets of the Old Town. As they closed in a squadron of gulls took off, with a great beating of wings and ear splitting raucous cries they closed to engage the intruders. The gulls were fearless in the defence of their nests and soon the raptors were beating a hasty retreat back across the islands to the sparsely populated peninsula from whence they came. Although set back from the actual fishing quay itself and surrounded by old buildings that obscure the views, it was the smells and sounds that gave this place its atmosphere. The gulls, boat sirens and peeling bells from the church accompanied by the babble of water from the fountain in the old square. Fresh herbs, basil, oregano and that most Mediterranean herb marjoram, along with cilantro and crushed garlic; the smell of seared fresh fish, lamb and fowl cooked over charcoal and wood, infused the air.

Making the decision to move and bring the family here was the best decision we had made. If you don’t try it you’ll never know. Back there it was all going down hill. The bloated government was squeezing the middle class with stealth taxes, whilst at the same time allowing the health and education systems to fail the public. With the price of everything from petrol, property tax and utilities rising, the only thing the government seemed to have control of was the inflation figures that they manipulated lower! To top it all immigration was out of control. These factors combined with our new appreciation; that although the grass may be longer and greener in a warmer clime, that doesn’t necessarily translate into it being better, made our decision to relocate back from Florida, to home here in the UK so easy! I raised my glass up high. The contents ice cold, light amber in colour, glass etched with condensation and back lit by the clear blue Dorset sky. It was the late Oliver Reed, character actor and hell raiser, who once said life looks rosier through the bottom of a pint glass. I tilted my head back and with great accuracy spat the olive stone into the sub tropical border and slugged a third of the glass back. The hostess reappeared abruptly!

“What are you doing? The guests will be arriving any minute!”
“I’m seeding an olive grove by natural placement”. “The Man who Planted Trees!” I exclaimed.
“You’re not going to drink too much are you, darling?”
“Define too much, we have 12 bottles in the fridge, 75 in the garage and Cherbourg is only three and a half hours by ferry!”
Her almond eyes narrowed.”You know there’s a fine line between a charming bon-viveur host and an opinionated, boorish, person falling off a chair!”
“Never underestimate slapstick, as a medium for dinner party entertainment” I retorted. “But your point is well made”.

Sliding the glass away from me across the table to accentuate my self discipline and temperance, I said “do you need any help darling?” Just then the doorbell rang.
“Yes answer the door!”

Our dinner guests started to arrive and with cork screw in hand I slipped naturally into my role as head Sommelier! I may not be a connoisseur but I drink more than most and it has to be really bad for me to spit it out! Dorset may not be the Med, Australia’s Gold Coast or the Caribbean. However Poole Harbour with its islands and inlets, the Old Town Quay and specifically our little house with its patio garden is the centre of the Dorset Riviera! Having tried a different ‘place in the sun’ it was good to be back home from our Orlando Odyssey!

They say that travel broadens the mind and having travelled extensively until now I still didn’t really get it. However, our US sojourn now allows us to view our ‘Old/New life’ back here in the UK in a new and totally different context. With it has come the realisation that having been and done it, we now know what we want, and what’s really important to us. This perspective on ones life is not often afforded before it’s too late and it’s a key piece of the jigsaw which makes up the Holy Grail of happiness and contentment.

My advice to any family thinking of emigrating is don’t do it if you have to sell your UK home or if anyone in your party has any doubts about wanting to go. By all means go for it as for many it’s the best thing they’ve ever done, but always have a plan ‘B’, an exit strategy. If the ‘Journey is truly the Destination’, make sure you always have a return ticket!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Happiness comes from within.

(apparently)
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

love what you wrote pablo1
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have learned that many things in life make you happy and there are lots of things that dont.

You could be living in a mansion and have all the money you need and be unhappy and you could be living in a small house and be happy.

If you are not happy where you are or with your situation then only you can change it. Being unhappy is a waste of your time and your life.

Indulge stuff that makes you happy, be around people you like, live in a place that makes you happy.

Unhappiness is baggage I no longer want to carry and I choose not to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.