Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Wikiposts

What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default Re: What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Originally Posted by dunroving
Would it really matter if the dog was on a different flight? Depending on frequency of flights, I'd have thought an hour or two here or there wouldn't matter - and the dog won't know if it's on the same flight as you.

Or are you concerned she might end up flying on a different day?
I wanted to be on the same flight so I could make sure that the aircraft crew knew she was on board so that they would make sure that the climate control was on in the cargo area, I have read and been told many horror stories of dogs freezing to death...i know I shouldnt listen, it has helped reading on here that many people have travelled with their dogs and arrived home safe. Also there are only 2 flgihts out of Houston each day back home, as we are going to be driving to scotland from heathrow, I didnt want to be sitting at Heathrow waiting for my dog to arrive the next flight which could be the following day.
Maybe its just a woman thing wanting to be on the same flight...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by poppycat
Yes, you can book your ticket online; I did that. I'm flying Continental back to Scotland with my dog too, but via Manchester. I searched online for a suitable flight and kept the itinerary on my laptop while I called Cargo to check whether they could accommodate my dog on both legs of the journey (I have to change at EWR, so two separate flights). Once confirmed, I simultaneously made my dog's booking via phone, and my booking online. BTW, I was told by the Cargo Agent not to tick the "Include a Pet" option when making my online booking. They said they would forward all the information regarding my dog to the airline.
Silly me of course I could do that, wasnt thinking...have so much going round in my head...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teresa1003
We flew out two dogs into Heathrow from the States, after we collected our luggage and hire car we went to ARC and had wait about 30 minutes, both our dogs had been let out fed and watered, and were in great spirits, the staff at the ARC were really friendly and helpful
Thanks for this, it makes me feel better knowing the dogs are taken care of, I have been told to many horror stories...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mctraill
I wanted to be on the same flight so I could make sure that the aircraft crew knew she was on board so that they would make sure that the climate control was on in the cargo area, I have read and been told many horror stories of dogs freezing to death...i know I shouldnt listen, it has helped reading on here that many people have travelled with their dogs and arrived home safe. Also there are only 2 flgihts out of Houston each day back home, as we are going to be driving to scotland from heathrow, I didnt want to be sitting at Heathrow waiting for my dog to arrive the next flight which could be the following day.
No you're exactly right.
I wanted to be on the same flight so as to remind the flight crew that there were live animals on board so they made sure the heating was on. I'd also heard stories to the contrary, and wanted to make sure I could give the reminder. I was reassured every time I asked the crew to ask the pilots, so that was helpful.

As for booking the ticket, I booked mine online once my pets were booked. I then phoned back to ask them to 'link' the 2 bookings, that way if they needed to offload my pets for any reason, then they could notify me & offload me as well.

It's a personal choice really, some people don't mind being on the same flight, some people want to be on the same flight.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Originally Posted by mctraill
I wanted to be on the same flight so I could make sure that the aircraft crew knew she was on board so that they would make sure that the climate control was on in the cargo area, I have read and been told many horror stories of dogs freezing to death.

Originally Posted by mctraill: 9127400
I don't think so. I think it's a concerned pet owner "thang". Even if I'd had a choice, I'd have chosen to be on the same flight as my dog. Course, I'm a woman too, so maybe you're right.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:45 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever travelled from Australia to UK with an old dog? By old, I mean a reasonably fit fifteen? Do you think the journey might be too much for an old girl?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brissybee
Has anyone ever travelled from Australia to UK with an old dog? By old, I mean a reasonably fit fifteen? Do you think the journey might be too much for an old girl?
Sorry brissy, haven't travelled with an old dog, but what I can suggest is to have her checked out by your vet. Tell your vet about your concerns, and they can check for anything that might possibly be an issue, and can advise you whether they think she'll be ok.

I was a nervous wreck with mine, but all in all, they came out just fine, and very quickly forgot about the whole experience.
Good luck