Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Wikiposts

What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default Re: What Happens to my dog when we arrive in Heathrow

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, that's what I was saying in my previous post - you can send via FedEx, for example. You will need to include a return prepaid envelope (I think you can arrange this to be a FedEx type service, also).

When I did it, I called the USDA vet ahead of time so she knew to expect it, and she kindly called me to let me know she had received it, countersigned it, and returned it.

Your dog does not need to be present, in fact I'm not really sure what is the reason behind it all except maybe as a money-generating venure (and maybe for the USDA vet to make suure there is no cock-up in the paperwork). How much does it cost these days? (I think when I did it, the vet signature cost about $75 and FedEx about another $25).
Just wanted to confirm that you meant I didnt have to take them in person, which is good news I did not fancy a drive to Austin..

Perfect guys...your a real help, but as you suggested in an earlier post I will keep checking out the airlines and Defra to ensure nothing changes... Thanks again...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

our cat (same treatment as dogs) came through a month after us.

ARC at Heathrow emailed us before she arrived to confirm process and pick up procedure. They said allow 5 hours post plane landing time to collect her, to ensure all paperwork is complete.

She flew from Australia and is a very lively cat, but when we collected her she had been out in a run, as they sleep/go into shut down state in the hold.

She came into our house, ate two meals, filled the litter tray and was as happy as a happy thing on a happy day.

It is all quite well orchestrated and efficient.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

How much does it cost these days? (I think when I did it, the vet signature cost about $75 and FedEx about another $25).
In AZ (Phoenix) the USDA vet charges $114 to endorse the 3rd Country Cert.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

McTraill, are you sure there isn't a USDA vet in Houston?
I just did a quick search and came up with..
Dr Lubomira Soroko
USDA-APHIS-VS
P.O. Box 60107, AMF
Houston, TX 77205
281-821-8206

Give it them a try.

Last edited by 1chumly; Jan 6th 2011 at 4:05 am.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Dr Lubomira Soroko
USDA-APHIS-VS
P.O. Box 60107, AMF
Houston, TX 77205
281-821-8206

Give it them a try.
You could be correct, but I think there is a difference between a USDA vet (who signs the 3rd country cert) and a USDA-approved vet (any vet who performs the procedures and signs the forms during the various stages must be USDA-approved).

Worth a try calling them though, as you said, but best not to assume and just send the form anyway.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Dr Lubomira Soroko
USDA-APHIS-VS
P.O. Box 60107, AMF
Houston, TX 77205
281-821-8206

Give it them a try.
I went to this link and just clicked on Texas and it only gave me one address, I will however still call them and see what they say...I am going to check with my vet as well... thanks for looking for me...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

My animals left from Miami when I went to the UK so I didn't deal with Houston but I would have thought in the 4th largest city with the major airport in Texas that there would be a USDA office here, but then thinking about it, when has logic ever come into play with any government department!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by J.J
You simply de-plane as usual, go through Customs and Immigration and make your way to the Animal Reception Center.
The center is not a walkable distance, being off-airport so you need transport, hire-car or friend, taxi would be troublesome and expensive because there is a wait at the Center. We picked up a hire car which used up quite a bit of the wait time.

Once at the center, ring the bell, present your papers, take a seat on a couch along with all the other nervous parents. We waited only about 30 mins before our cat was brought through to us in his crate.
Ditto.
We found it easier to get a hire car, once we'd got our luggage & picked up hire car, we only waited about 30mins for ours to be brought to us at ARC. In total, it took maybe 2hrs from when the plane landed. Not too bad going really.

We had an interesting wait at the ARC, sharing the lounge with a film crew who were following a story of a conservation group bringing in some sea animals (turtles etc.) destined for somewhere on the south coast. It was buzzing there, but we still got our fur-kids out quickly enough.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Depending on the airline, you may want to book your own ticket first, and then the dog (unless you want to pay full fare for your ticket).

With BA cargo, they wouldn't take a cargo booking for my dog until something like 28 days prior to the flight date. Usually at that point, people tickets are no longer available at discount proces. The BA agent told me it would be highly unusual for the flight to be overbooked with dogs, as long as you call 28 days prior (i.e., don't wait until the week before).

Of course if money isn't an issue, you would book the dog in first and then take your chances on how much your ticket will be.
If it's not very important for you to travel on the same flight as your cat/dog, then that would be ok to book passenger ticket first, then animal ticket later, and take a chance.

The one snag with this approach is that most airlines only allow very limited animal bookings per flight (2 or 3), plus there are some flights where they don't allow animals to be booked at all for eg. if they have noxious cargo booked, they can't by law transport live animals on same flight. They also have limited space for live animals per flight.
For us it was important to get on the same flight, so we had to find a flight that could take animals, that still had space, and then once booked & confirmed we booked our ticket, and linked the bookings. There's still a small chance they can offload the animals, so we wanted to be notified if that happened.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by obewan
If it's not very important for you to travel on the same flight as your cat/dog, then that would be ok to book passenger ticket first, then animal ticket later, and take a chance.

The one snag with this approach is that most airlines only allow very limited animal bookings per flight (2 or 3), plus there are some flights where they don't allow animals to be booked at all for eg. if they have noxious cargo booked, they can't by law transport live animals on same flight. They also have limited space for live animals per flight.
For us it was important to get on the same flight, so we had to find a flight that could take animals, that still had space, and then once booked & confirmed we booked our ticket, and linked the bookings. There's still a small chance they can offload the animals, so we wanted to be notified if that happened.
This is whats worries me, we will be flying into heathrow but we are actually going to be living in Aberdeen so I need her to be on the same flight...

Did you book your tickets online, I know I have to call the pet desk at Contintential to book the dog, but wondered if I could book my ticket on line...
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mctraill
This is whats worries me, we will be flying into heathrow but we are actually going to be living in Aberdeen so I need her to be on the same flight...

Did you book your tickets online, I know I have to call the pet desk at Contintential to book the dog, but wondered if I could book my ticket on line...
Would it really matter if the dog was on a different flight? Depending on frequency of flights, I'd have thought an hour or two here or there wouldn't matter - and the dog won't know if it's on the same flight as you.

Or are you concerned she might end up flying on a different day?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

I know I have to call the pet desk at Contintential to book the dog, but wondered if I could book my ticket on line...
Yes, you can book your ticket online; I did that. I'm flying Continental back to Scotland with my dog too, but via Manchester. I searched online for a suitable flight and kept the itinerary on my laptop while I called Cargo to check whether they could accommodate my dog on both legs of the journey (I have to change at EWR, so two separate flights). Once confirmed, I simultaneously made my dog's booking via phone, and my booking online. BTW, I was told by the Cargo Agent not to tick the "Include a Pet" option when making my online booking. They said they would forward all the information regarding my dog to the airline.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Don't quite understand why you think you "need" to be on the same flight as your dog, unless it's because you'd prefer to be on the same flight, of course. According to the DEFRA website, they don't specify that pets flying with Continental from Houston to LHR have to be accompanied.

I'm flying Continental back to Scotland with my dog too. However, I'm flying to Manchester from EWR (originating PHX, but DEFRA only consider the final leg of your journey for pet importation purposes), therefore I have no option but to accompany my dog. My point is, DEFRA specify on their website whether pets have to be accompanied or not. It all depends on which route/airline you're using.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:51 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

I had read somewhere that is was good to be on the same flight so you could ask them to check if your pet was on board OK - that seemed quite a sensible thing to me. Someone else said someone should be left in the country the pet left in case for some reason the pet was not put on the plane. So there are a few schools of thought.
For any of you long term watchers I have yet to move my wee thing from India.
We are chipped Rabies done now waiting to see where to send the wee chap before the UK!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

We flew out two dogs into Heathrow from the States, after we collected our luggage and hire car we went to ARC and had wait about 30 minutes, both our dogs had been let out fed and watered, and were in great spirits, the staff at the ARC were really friendly and helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.