Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Electronics Can I take

What Electronics Can I take

Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:04 am
Just Joined

cdvdson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Electronics Can I take

I have a MAC desktop. Will that work with a simple plug adapter? It says 100-240v on the back.
I'm also considering taking a flatscreen TV. Can I use that????

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Electronics Can I take

Yes to the Mac. I wouldn’t bother with the flatscreen.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdvdson
I have a MAC desktop. Will that work with a simple plug adapter? It says 100-240v on the back.
I'm also considering taking a flatscreen TV. Can I use that????

Thanks in advance.

Craig
I brought my iMac from US to UK. I just bought a new "kettle" lead from Amazon and it's still working fine. Upgraded the hard drive and memory and runs like new despite being 6 years old.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes to the Mac. I wouldn’t bother with the flatscreen.
+1

if the TV is dual voltage and you are shipping a bunch of stuff anyway then I would bring it as the weight is negligible. I brought our 50” flat screen TV in the 20’ container we were shipping our goods in. It works just fine, HDMI connectors to cable box. Our Apple TV was also dual voltage and it works just fine as well.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:20 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad

+1

if the TV is dual voltage and you are shipping a bunch of stuff anyway then I would bring it as the weight is negligible. I brought our 50” flat screen TV in the 20’ container we were shipping our goods in. It works just fine, HDMI connectors to cable box. Our Apple TV was also dual voltage and it works just fine as well.
Were you able to buy a new connection or did you use a voltage adapter?
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Were you able to buy a new connection or did you use a voltage adapter?
With dual voltage devices you simply cut off the US plug and put on a standard UK plug. I needed to check on the Internet what colors the live, neutral and ground are on US plugs otherwise it is very easy. I also used 3amp fuses as electronics are low current.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 6:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
+1

If you’re happy to use cable/satellite. Regular Freeview is unlikely to work thanks to differing TV broadcast standards.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you’re happy to use cable/satellite. Regular Freeview is unlikely to work thanks to differing TV broadcast standards.
Absolutely, that’s why I said what I said above.

Our son doesn’t have cable, he just has broadband and uses his Applebox for all the free TV through iPlayer, YouTube, ITV Hub etc, plus he subscribes to one or two subscribers like Hulu that he also access over his broadband.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

This might be a dumb question but how do I know if it's a dual voltage?
It says 100-240V
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 5:17 pm

It says 100-240V
That means it’s dual voltage.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

It says 100-240V
that means any input voltage in that range will work. It used to be that the difference in cycles/second made a difference but with electronics devices the AC voltage is immediately converted into DC so 50hz or 60hz doesn’t matter, and the AC to DC converter is smart enough to deal with a range of voltages.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you folk. I originally was thinking I would take it as it's small enough to get in the load with the other stuff. This helps a lot. My biggest fear was that the NTSC/PAL formats wouldn't allow the TV to work.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you folk. I originally was thinking I would take it as it's small enough to get in the load with the other stuff. This helps a lot. My biggest fear was that the NTSC/PAL formats wouldn't allow the TV to work.
As BiP pointed out the format difference is to do with the transmission formats so an NTSC receiver can’t decode PAL transmissions. If you connected an ariel to your US TV you won’t be able to tune into any stations. If you have a separate receiver such as a freeview box then you can connect with an HDMI cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=freeview+box&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_2444n7hq0z_e&adgrpid=56928752527&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259030627371&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2658870894627028647&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046817&hvtargid=kwd-2144550891

Old Nov 27th 2018, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

tusitala is an unknown quantity at this point

Compare TV's on Costco.com and Costco.co.uk and you will see that tv's are MUCH more expensive in the UK than the US

If it is a recent model and it fits in the container at no extra cost I would consider taking it, you will just need to use a cable box or other input.
If it says 120/240 on the back all you need is a plug adapter which you can buy at the pound store (I would recommend getting a better quality one)
If you don't have the original box, go to a video store and beg them to set aside a box for you instead of crushing it.
If you are taking along dvd or blu-rays disks you should take your US player as they are usually region protected
I took my US media player to the uk and plugged it into the HDMI on the hotel tv and it worked perfectly

oh, and don't forget to get your tv license for
Old Nov 27th 2018, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tusitala
Compare TV's on Costco.com and Costco.co.uk and you will see that tv's are MUCH more expensive in the UK than the US

If it is a recent model and it fits in the container at no extra cost I would consider taking it, you will just need to use a cable box or other input.
If it says 120/240 on the back all you need is a plug adapter which you can buy at the pound store (I would recommend getting a better quality one)
If you don't have the original box, go to a video store and beg them to set aside a box for you instead of crushing it.
If you are taking along dvd or blu-rays disks you should take your US player as they are usually region protected
I took my US media player to the uk and plugged it into the HDMI on the hotel tv and it worked perfectly

oh, and don't forget to get your tv license for
Good point about the DVD player. Many years ago I bought a region free DVD player in the USA for $300 so I could play my UK DVDs. It finally died this year, so this week I bought a region free DVD player here in the UK, it cost £27 and works great.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.