Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What don’t / didn’t you like about Australia?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:41 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all
Default What don’t / didn’t you like about Australia?

We are currently in NZ and thinking about either Oz or back to UK, Scotland that is.

We have heard of quite a few folk that have moved to Brisbane from here and loved it but I guess you gotta have the courage to hear the negative views also and that is the idea of this thread.

After being in NZ for over three years I begin to question myself as to how I didn’t see the things that are staring me in the face now that are reasons why we want to move on.

Ultimately our where-to decision will not be based on various info on a forum but sites like this do offer different views and that is what I am looking for. We understand that compared to NZ Australia offers better salaries, lifestyles etc etc BUT…

For example the one lady mentioned on another thread that the flies drive her crazy, I know my missus would go crazy if the flies are that bad, I know that may sound petty but when we do get a few weeks of decent weather here in Auckland the flies drive my missus up the wall

So if you have been to Oz or are currently there looking to return to UK or moving on I would like to hear the various reasons.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What don’t / didn’t you like about Australia?

This is just my opinion but I hate the shops here. The supermarkets are really poor quality IMO and I so miss being able to shop in Waitrose or Tesco. I hate the fact that you have to drive for hours to get to "big" towns (from where we are anyway!) and when you get there there is nothing there anyway. The houses have no double glazing and no central heating - it DOES get cold here! I hate having to constantly watch my kids and dogs to make sure they don't go near any creepy crawlies or snakes. I hate the Medicare system. I hate how they don't give you financial help towards childcare if you earn only a half decent salary. I hate the laid back way they bring up there kids - no manners in the kids round here! I hate the parched land and dust from the drought. I hate having to put sunscreen on everyday. I hate how the chicken breasts in the supermarkets are about 3x the size of a "normal" chicken - must be something strange going on there.
I hate not being able to get decent shoes, i.e. Clarkes, for my kids without driving a 3hr round trip.
the tv is appauling - even with satellite!
I live in a remote area and I'm sure big cities are very different.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Things I don't like about Australia:

- The schools, or at least the ones I went to in Adelaide. There are some nicer ones but they're extremely expensive so really only super rich parents could afford. I realise my dislike of the average aussie school is very subjective and only comes from me feeling compelled to compare certain aspects of them to English schools. For kids born in Australia, there's no major problems with the schools here, by which I mean the things I disliked about them were things like not getting a cooked school dinner, the fact that the classrooms are mostly either temporary huts, or even if they're in permanent buildings, they're extremely basic and they open directly to the outdoors instead of into a proper corridor, and not having a school nurse, nittie noras, cleaners, caretakers etc.

- Not being able to get a decent pub meal.

- In Adelaide and some other cities, not having any 'touristy" type things to do in your leisure time. This obviously doesn't apply if you live in Queensland and perhaps to some extent in Melbourne or Sydney.

- The incredible percentage of people who are stupid beyond belief, but to be fair there's a lot of them in UK too and I suppose everywhere.
-
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Things I don't like about Australia:

- The schools, or at least the ones I went to in Adelaide. There are some nicer ones but they're extremely expensive so really only super rich parents could afford. I realise my dislike of the average aussie school is very subjective and only comes from me feeling compelled to compare certain aspects of them to English schools. For kids born in Australia, there's no major problems with the schools here, by which I mean the things I disliked about them were things like not getting a cooked school dinner, the fact that the classrooms are mostly either temporary huts, or even if they're in permanent buildings, they're extremely basic and they open directly to the outdoors instead of into a proper corridor, and not having a school nurse, nittie noras, cleaners, caretakers etc.

- Not being able to get a decent pub meal.

- In Adelaide and some other cities, not having any 'touristy" type things to do in your leisure time. This obviously doesn't apply if you live in Queensland and perhaps to some extent in Melbourne or Sydney.

- The incredible percentage of people who are stupid beyond belief, but to be fair there's a lot of them in UK too and I suppose everywhere.
-
I could've written that! School system is one of my biggest bugbears
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have to say, when I moved from UK (where I actually loved the school I was in) to St Micheals College in Henley Beach, I absolutely detested every second of it.

So much so that ever since I left that school I have gone out of my way (literally) to avoid going anywhere near it!

By contrast, every time I visit UK I go out of my way to visit my old school there and actually go in and chat with the teachers (many of whom still remember me after all these years!)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

It is down to individual schools though isn't it ? My sons school in Crafers was the most delightful school ever. The school he goes to at the moment in UK has not ONE blade of grass and this is the lush county of Berkshire.There are no nitty noras or school nurse those things are a thing of the past - they are not even allowed to play footie with a proper football - health and safety. Some are bad in Oz some are good - same anywhere. Personally sitting here in the pouring rain can't wait for 4 weeks time and back to where I want to be.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

No nittie noras, even in England?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by backagen
No nittie noras, even in England?
Not in our area - just notes home about the latest infestation on a daily basis
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Lots of things really, but the main reason is because i'm bored!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Lots of things really, but the main reason is because i'm bored!
And that baby face of yours definitely got a bit screwed up too
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

OK just because I feel really down at the moment and definitely in need of a vent!

What dont I like about Australia?
The lack of green - we have something that masquerades as grass but it is rough couch stuff not real grass and for most of the year we dont have it because water restrictions mean you cant water it and it dies. There are no hedgerows and usually very ordinary and not very inspiring flowers - give me a cottage garden any day of the week!

The lack of history (that is relevant to me) - I know that the aborigines have a history blah blah but you can only enthuse for so long over a few hand outline spit wall paintings and grinding stones and dreamtime stories woven around geological accidents. Give me castles, cathedrals, abbeys - anything with an evident passage of time with people who actually achieved something.

The boredom of the shops - not a high street in sight, just faceless, soul-less malls full of the same shops selling the same stuff and not the latest of anything anyway manned by disinterested staff who always walk up and ask you how you are today - they dont really want to know how you are so why the hell do they keep asking you?

The boring blandness of the space - you can drive for hours and see just the same scenery. Try identifying exactly where you are from the scenery - you cant do it, just mile after mile of eucalypt, bark drop, dirt. The Hume Hwy from Sydney to Melbourne is a prime example.

The people - insular, self centred, largely arrogant (of course there are going to be individual exceptions I know that!) and out for what they can get. This is a "who you know not what you know" type of place and though that may also be true of UK it is the rule here.

The political correctness which pervades everything - every tin pot meeting not only starts with an acknowledgement of country but a 5 - 15 minute treatise and self flagellation. Some meetings even have every speaker doing their acknowledgement of country so as not to be left out.

The lack of sense of community which is so strong in UK (where I come from anyway) - everyone here is so intent on head down and power forward that they couldnt really give a toss about their fellow man unless there is something in it for them.

The fact that this is the a*se end of the universe and to get anywhere else in the world takes at least a 6 hour plane flight and that the Aussie dollar except for a few months this summer makes it so difficult for anyone to go anywhere else without having to work for aeons to save up and get there (see we are now back to having a dollar worth nothing again - works for exports but not expats visiting home!)

The flies. Blasted things have an uncanny knack of trying to invade every visible orifice and will not leave your head alone. Mozzies too that find the one uncovered piece of skin which hasnt been sprayed with insect repellant.

The constant sunshine - bright, glaring, skin killing that means you dont dare venture out without SPF30 slathered on every visible bit. The lack of rain (drought is a killer). The heat - lurch from one air conditioned environment to another during the summer because breathing the air outside is like breathing in a furnace. Sweaty nights where it is so hot that you cant sleep.

The birds - almost forgot them. The dawn chorus of cockies which wakes you up at some godforsaken hour with a noise level that would be banned if it were a jumbo taking off.

There, will that do? As I said, having a bad few days here so everything is getting on my nerves!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by quoll
OK just because I feel really down at the moment and definitely in need of a vent!

The lack of green - we have something that masquerades as grass but it is rough couch stuff not real grass and for most of the year we dont have it because water restrictions mean you cant water it and it dies. There are no hedgerows and usually very ordinary and not very inspiring flowers - give me a cottage garden any day of the week!

The lack of history (that is relevant to me) - I know that the aborigines have a history blah blah but you can only enthuse for so long over a few hand outline spit wall paintings and grinding stones and dreamtime stories woven around geological accidents. Give me castles, cathedrals, abbeys - anything with an evident passage of time with people who actually achieved something.

The boredom of the shops - not a high street in sight, just faceless, soul-less malls full of the same shops selling the same stuff and not the latest of anything anyway manned by disinterested staff who always walk up and ask you how you are today - they dont really want to know how you are so why the hell do they keep asking you?

The boring blandness of the space - you can drive for hours and see just the same scenery. Try identifying exactly where you are from the scenery - you cant do it, just mile after mile of eucalypt, bark drop, dirt. The Hume Hwy from Sydney to Melbourne is a prime example.

The people - insular, self centred, largely arrogant (of course there are going to be individual exceptions I know that!) and out for what they can get. This is a "who you know not what you know" type of place and though that may also be true of UK it is the rule here.

The political correctness which pervades everything - every tin pot meeting not only starts with an acknowledgement of country but a 5 - 15 minute treatise and self flagellation. Some meetings even have every speaker doing their acknowledgement of country so as not to be left out.

The lack of sense of community which is so strong in UK (where I come from anyway) - everyone here is so intent on head down and power forward that they couldnt really give a toss about their fellow man unless there is something in it for them.

The fact that this is the a*se end of the universe and to get anywhere else in the world takes at least a 6 hour plane flight and that the Aussie dollar except for a few months this summer makes it so difficult for anyone to go anywhere else without having to work for aeons to save up and get there (see we are now back to having a dollar worth nothing again - works for exports but not expats visiting home!)

The flies. Blasted things have an uncanny knack of trying to invade every visible orifice and will not leave your head alone. Mozzies too that find the one uncovered piece of skin which hasnt been sprayed with insect repellant.

The constant sunshine - bright, glaring, skin killing that means you dont dare venture out without SPF30 slathered on every visible bit. The lack of rain (drought is a killer). The heat - lurch from one air conditioned environment to another during the summer because breathing the air outside is like breathing in a furnace. Sweaty nights where it is so hot that you cant sleep.

The birds - almost forgot them. The dawn chorus of cockies which wakes you up at some godforsaken hour with a noise level that would be banned if it were a jumbo taking off.

There, will that do? As I said, having a bad few days here so everything is getting on my nerves!
Well said as ever Quall - pretty much sums up how I feel!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have put it better myself....
I would just like to add the awful television/radio/advertising and the poor quality clothes in the shops.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

The lack of history - Give me castles, cathedrals, abbeys - anything with an evident passage of time with people who actually achieved something.

The people - insular, self centred, largely arrogant (of course there are going to be individual exceptions I know that!) and out for what they can get. This is a "who you know not what you know" type of place

they couldnt really give a toss about their fellow man unless there is something in it for them.

Ah Quoll, sorry you're having a bad week. All you say rings true, but couple of things on your list really stand out for me.

Last edited by rabsody; Oct 8th 2008 at 9:01 am.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

For me this place is a bit like chicken, but you do get used to it - I just prefer the UK.

I accept the rubbish shopping, I prefer bland and tasteless beer, used to the bad standard of driving, the dry and dusty landscape I will never grow to love and the flies/spiders and bugs are horrible and yes they swarm everywhere.
Like the milder winters, the wine, eating out is generally ok.

I could go on but for me it's no better than the UK, just different.

If you are missing home (Scotland) then NZ would be less unlike Scotland than Aus from a climate and scenery POV.

Tell us what you don't like about NZ OP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.