Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do You Miss About the UK?

Wikiposts

What do You Miss About the UK?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

nuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do You Miss About the UK?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Ugh, they are a problem here. We have had at least 3 in our neighbourhood. My husband checks around the house every few days to make sure there are no cracks. I don't think you have them down by you, do you?
Not that I know of but I saw that Florida was a hotspot for such things and our house insurance won't cover us of it so I am presuming it must be an issue in the entire State.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
Yes! Wit and humour is in very short supply where I live.
It's like pulling teeth to start a conversation with anyone. I can tell that people just don't feel comfortable talking - their eyes glaze over!
Even if they DO ask you a question, they don't really expect you to answer and if you reply with anything more that a few words then their attention drifts and they stop listening. Whenever I see my MIL she always asks me "How's your Mother doing?" - it doesn't matter if I answer "Doing good" or "Not doing so good" - there is never any follow up question or opportunity to expand. Apart from that the only questions people ever ask me are about work - as if that's the only thing that defines a person. So frustrating. I sometimes feel my head will explode with all the things stored in it that I'd like to talk about but I don't ever get the opportunity to let it all out in a conversation.

I had a weird, stalkery acquaintance here once too. It was not the kind of friendship I was looking for unfortunately.
This is my experience, too. The brief conversations that do take place are not of any depth - shallow, superficial comments that are basically reiterated in every conversation. And as for having a debate/in-depth discussion about any topic, forget it.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:25 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, where do I start? I miss....Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Fish and Chips, train rides, historic buildings, long walks amongst great scenery, the climate, conversations with strangers...in a word EVERYTHING !

I have noticed such a big difference between both Australia and the UK, and the USA and the UK. Like others who have posted on this thread, it's amazing how you can just stand waiting for a bus and talk to a perfect stranger without feeling uncomfortable. I remember one time in Australia having a gastric bug and was on my way to the Dr's when I had severe cramps and vomiting. I was leaning against a building feeling like I was dying and people just walked past and stared at me. No-one offered to help, no-one asked if I was okay and I even heard one woman say ' How disgusting - being drunk at this time in the morning'.

I like walking down the streets and having people say 'Good Morning' with a smile. Is it too much to ask?? People keep too much to themselves nowadays, probably scared because you never know the type of person you are talking to. It's sad !

I will be heading home soon and I'm sure that when I get off the plane and kiss the ground at Heathrow, people won't look at me like I've lost my mind, rather the people will smile because they know exactly what I am feeling..lol
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
\I will be heading home soon and I'm sure that when I get off the plane and kiss the ground at Heathrow, people won't look at me like I've lost my mind, rather the people will smile because they know exactly what I am feeling..lol
Nooo, don't kiss the ground at Heathrow, you'll die!

Was out walking the dog the other day and a guy I'd never met before gave me a hug - Vancouver really is awesome
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:27 am
Just Joined

OnlyHope is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss Ribena. I miss reasonable prices for grocery. I miss walking through town centre. Miss not having to change my pronunciation or use of words.

Don't know what part of England everyone is from but saying Hi to a stranger is unheard of at least to me in Birmingham! From what I remember seeing, saying Hi across the street to a stranger results in a dirty look and attitude.

Here in the states people say hi walking by you whilst hiking. My husbands friends hang out with me and are really welcoming whilst he is out of town.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnlyHope
I miss Ribena. I miss reasonable prices for grocery. I miss walking through town centre. Miss not having to change my pronunciation or use of words.

Don't know what part of England everyone is from but saying Hi to a stranger is unheard of at least to me in Birmingham! From what I remember seeing, saying Hi across the street to a stranger results in a dirty look and attitude.

Here in the states people say hi walking by you whilst hiking. My husbands friends hang out with me and are really welcoming whilst he is out of town.
Ramblers in the UK always say hello.

Saying hi to a stranger across the street would probably be considered rather odd anywhere.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:26 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the birds singing all day long. I miss the blackbirds and the robins and the thrushes.

I miss the daffodils everywhere. I miss roadside verges and hedgerows and bluebells in the woods.

I miss the green and the clouds moving across the sky.

I miss the patchwork of fields and church spires poking up behind the trees.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody could POSSIBLY miss the UK weather we have been enduring now and for weeks on end recently......it's been bloody FUURRREEEZZZZIIINNNNGGGG! cold ...day in and day out, night in and night out......and the weather men say it will go on right through the whole of April as we are stuck under a permanent high pressure block bringing in bitterly cold easterly winds straight out of the Russian Steppes.

Thousands of sheep and new born lambs have perished after being buried in deep snowdrifts up in the hills.

I'd stay wherever you happen to be right now if I were you.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I miss the birds singing all day long. I miss the blackbirds and the robins and the thrushes.

I miss the daffodils everywhere. I miss roadside verges and hedgerows and bluebells in the woods.

I miss the green and the clouds moving across the sky.

I miss the patchwork of fields and church spires poking up behind the trees.
I miss all of that too
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnlyHope

Well, if you are walking along a street in a town centre or city centre anywhere in the UK which may not be all that busy with pedestrians anyway in the day time it would indeed be a bit unusual at least to say a word of greeting to passers-by you do not personally know, but by the same token if you are walking along a country lane or a quiet village street with hardly anyone else around or taking a dog for a walk along a pathway across a meadow or in a park or through some woodland then it could well be regarded as equally odd if you do not exchange some form of greeting to someone you pass by on route.

If it was night time then it could just be a different situation altogether, it depends on circumstances, but not that many people are out walking in quiet places in the dark anyway, and those that do might just be up to something they might just shouldn't be up to anyway....that sounds like bad grammar to me but it's quite late and I'm off to the land of dreams now. Nite all!

British Summer Time commences tomorrow night.....what a bloody joke that is! It's set to be -10C tonight.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Nobody could POSSIBLY miss the UK weather we have been enduring now and for weeks on end recently......it's been bloody FUURRREEEZZZZIIINNNNGGGG! cold ...day in and day out, night in and night out......and the weather men say it will go on right through the whole of April as we are stuck under a permanent high pressure block bringing in bitterly cold easterly winds straight out of the Russian Steppes.

Wish I'd booked flights a month later now - it's T shirt and bare feet weather here in Vancouver, stunning sunshine, cherry blossom, bumble bees..... the cold is going to be a shock! Especially as I'm staying with rellies who have no central heating
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:00 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Thousands of sheep and new born lambs have perished after being buried in deep snowdrifts up in the hills.

Ok, I might be the only one...but give me freezing cold any day over scorching, skin peeling heat. I can just put on my pyjamas with my thick fluffy socks and my thick fluffy dressing gown and curl up on the settee with my thick fluffy blanket and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug. I don't even turn the heat up because I hate the heat. I'm nuts I know...but there you have it.

Of course it's dreadfully sad about the sheep and the lambs and I could just cry about it..and animals aren't the only ones dying because of the cold, and I'm not making light of the weather situation the UK is having right now, so this is just my own personal opinion. I've had extreme cold, and I've had extreme heat, but prefer the cold ! I can always get warm...whereas I can never seem to get cool!
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:30 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I might be the only one...but give me freezing cold any day over scorching, skin peeling heat. I can just put on my pyjamas with my thick fluffy socks and my thick fluffy dressing gown and curl up on the settee with my thick fluffy blanket and I'm as snug as a bug in a rug. I don't even turn the heat up because I hate the heat. I'm nuts I know...but there you have it.

Of course it's dreadfully sad about the sheep and the lambs and I could just cry about it..and animals aren't the only ones dying because of the cold, and I'm not making light of the weather situation the UK is having right now, so this is just my own personal opinion. I've had extreme cold, and I've had extreme heat, but prefer the cold ! I can always get warm...whereas I can never seem to get cool!
I know the UK has had a lot of rain and I don't mean to make light of it, but it is so dry here. I can't wait to jump in a puddle.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:35 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I know the UK has had a lot of rain and I don't mean to make light of it, but it is so dry here. I can't wait to jump in a puddle.
or two !
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Im another one that loves to be cold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.