Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do You Miss About the UK?

What do You Miss About the UK?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do You Miss About the UK?

Here's something from BBC America to kick off the discussion. Lots of good comments too.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/mind-the-g...-about-the-uk/
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do You Miss About the UK?

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Here's something from BBC America to kick off the discussion. Lots of good comments too.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/mind-the-g...-about-the-uk/
Every one of the items listed except for Marmite. Never really ate it much.

I miss the quaintness, the culture . . . I miss a place where I can hold on to my individuality, where I can feel free . . . a place where fear is not the backdrop for life . . . where guns are not normal conversation. I miss being close to continental Europe . . . visiting France and Spain . . . talking to people and knowing that what you hear is what you get (no facade). I miss their sincerity . . . little shallowness there. I miss not living a REAL life.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 21st 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Family

A night at the pub, decent beer.

Historic Sites and National Trust properties

Public Footpaths and rights of way

er....

thats about it...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from all the yumminess to eat (esp fish and chips), I miss long train rides, staring out the window at all the beauty, and esp the little white sheep on the hillsides

I miss the heather on Dartmoor; cathedral bells chiming; the fresh smell in the air after the rain; bird sounds; proper English rose gardens; dogs in pubs; misty mornings; a decent cuppa; Marks & Sparks; Natural History museum; red phone boxes; British sense of humour; "mustn't complain" but they do anyway : the sense of history everywhere...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Apart from all the yumminess to eat (esp fish and chips), I miss long train rides, staring out the window at all the beauty, and esp the little white sheep on the hillsides

I miss the heather on Dartmoor; cathedral bells chiming; the fresh smell in the air after the rain; bird sounds; proper English rose gardens; dogs in pubs; misty mornings; a decent cuppa; Marks & Sparks; Natural History museum; red phone boxes; British sense of humour; "mustn't complain" but they do anyway : the sense of history everywhere...
Gosh, how could I ever have forgotten to add fish and chips, trains and the sheep!! Love them all, too! And dogs in pubs, the fresh air, etc.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Family

A night at the pub, decent beer.

Historic Sites and National Trust properties

Public Footpaths and rights of way

er....

thats about it...
Yes, this is just about my list too. To expand on public footpaths, I'd say ubiquitous access to countryside, woodlands, moors, farmland, coast, beaches, cliffs.. whether private property or publicly owned.

Add to that, comprehensive public transport.

Good, reasonably priced wine.

Waitrose and Marks and Spencer. Including, but not limited to, sandwiches..
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, this is just about my list too. To expand on public footpaths, I'd say ubiquitous access to countryside, woodlands, moors, farmland, coast, beaches, cliffs.. whether private property or publicly owned.

Add to that, comprehensive public transport.

Good, reasonably priced wine.

Waitrose and Marks and Spencer. Including, but not limited to, sandwiches..
YES to the public footpaths, and public transport. And of course the NHS.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Proper English chippy!! Pukka Pies
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Everything already mentioned plus:

Normal life without overblown attitude to things like 'school spirit', 'heroes', 'patriots', 'best in the world', cheerleaders, pledging, screeching national anthem etc.

Easy to get around.

More buzz.

Proper brick houses.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Everything already mentioned plus:

Normal life without overblown attitude to things like 'school spirit', 'heroes', 'patriots', 'best in the world', cheerleaders, pledging, screeching national anthem etc.

Easy to get around.

More buzz.

Proper brick houses.
Ditto!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with everything everyone else misses....but I will include in my list:

*Marmite - love it! Missed it so much, my Mum mailed a jar....FIFTEEN POUNDS!!!
*Queues
*Patience - people here just cannot wait their turn
*The seaside - I used to live in Plymouth, by the sea
*Ice cream vans
*The squirrels, blackbirds & robins that used to visit our garden every winter
*Not having to watch my back ALL the time

Last edited by Andrew79; Feb 21st 2013 at 6:03 pm. Reason: .
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

The people..
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
The people..
No so much. Mostly WSMs.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The wonderful comparative absence of trees in the UK.
World class Museums and Art Galleries, accessible on a day trip from almost everywhere in Britain.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 21st 2013 at 6:34 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The wonderful comparative absence of trees in the UK.
World class Museums and Art Galleries, accessible on a day trip from almost everywhere in Britain.
YES. Living in New York State, I'm getting to be really bored with trees. Wherever you go, including up a mountain, all you see is trees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.