Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about NZ?

Wikiposts

What do you miss about NZ?

Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about NZ?

Originally Posted by kooga61
It's funny isn't it.....food has quite a bearing on what you miss (me too). Funny thing is, if it's been a while since you tried them, you find you've lost the taste for them! I tried a Penguin biscuit the other day (for the first time in 12 years), and I have to say I was disappointed....Tim tams are much better!!!
True but I find many food things in NZ are similar but not quite the same....especially with cakes and biscuits and the element of difference is telling. Baking here tends to be oversweet and psychedlic in blues and greens. You'd think the only cake worth having was muffins (dry and yucky). Cadburys chocolate especially Roses tastes awful here and I don't know why...different milk/fat content. Still at least it means I don't consume the calories.

I would miss the coffee and the brunch cafe culture - can be had in UK but not to same extent. Wouldn't miss much else though except perhaps their PR Electoral system.
Janeyk your low petrol bills were probably mainly because there's nowhere else much worth going more than occasionally within an easy drive.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

True crap coffee but I am not doing much more than back and fro to school and the supermarket I detest beginning with T and I am filling up once a week which costs £35-40 if we venture out for the day then a tank is not lasting a week.

I really miss the coffee the stuff here is no comparison, Cafes in particular the english caf with everyhting with chips is vile, we went to a local beach this week they served breakfast which the plate was swimming with grease lots of lucnch items with chips and sandwichs with moayo dripping out my mouth did not water at the menu there was not nice scones, muffins etc to tempt you at the till and the coffee well! but the place was swarming with what the locals call the Birmingham Navy!,(all those who live up country inland have a boat in their back yard for 50 weeks of the year come down for 2 weeks and have not a clue how to use it or safety rules)
The beach was on the south coast of cornwall not an ideal surfing area but all the kids had body boards (why) dressed up in wet suits it made me laugh as this was what the only shop sold!

We are heading back to NZ shortly although are not ecided on a location no where is perfect, since we have been home we have seen one half of the family once the outlaws nil they are not intrested

I will miss the history of ENgland , I do not hate the place but its not for us right now!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk

I will miss the history of ENgland , I do not hate the place but its not for us right now!
good luck hey. hope you are truly settled back in.

for the same reason, I am not returning to the UK... . not at this stage. I might not have job.

coffee coffee.. If you have a great coffee everyday .... the more you have, the less you probably appreciate.

I had crap coffee this morning and yesterday. coz I was not able to go to the roaster, cos I was damn busy with work on Saturday, hence bought other stuff at laffare.................don't like it. Its much cheaper btw. The lad only charged me $2.20 for 100g, ($3.50 originally), coz thats the only cash I had. Its very nice of him, but I don't enjoy the taste of coffee.

anyway, life is life. sometimes happy, sometimes sad, sometimes ok,.. sometimes frustrating. someone said the other day, life contain more pain than joy. take it easy. life gives you good and bad when it wants to.

peace.
Attached Thumbnails What do you miss about NZ?-long-black.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 6th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

True crap coffee but I am not doing much more than back and fro to school and the supermarket I detest beginning with T and I am filling up once a week which costs £35-40 if we venture out for the day then a tank is not lasting a week.

I really miss the coffee the stuff here is no comparison, Cafes in particular the english caf with everyhting with chips is vile, we went to a local beach this week they served breakfast which the plate was swimming with grease lots of lucnch items with chips and sandwichs with moayo dripping out my mouth did not water at the menu there was not nice scones, muffins etc to tempt you at the till and the coffee well! but the place was swarming with what the locals call the Birmingham Navy!,(all those who live up country inland have a boat in their back yard for 50 weeks of the year come down for 2 weeks and have not a clue how to use it or safety rules)
The beach was on the south coast of cornwall not an ideal surfing area but all the kids had body boards (why) dressed up in wet suits it made me laugh as this was what the only shop sold!

We are heading back to NZ shortly although are not ecided on a location no where is perfect, since we have been home we have seen one half of the family once the outlaws nil they are not intrested

Good luck janeyk with your move back to NZ. Sorry the job situation has been difficult, it is going to be tough here for the next few years. I work for a local authority and the pressure is building daily, basically do more work whilst we take funding away. I work with children and hate to think of the consequences a few years down the road!!

Make sure you update us over on the NZ forum if you move back. Not just because you are moving back, but I think you have quite a balanced view of both countries.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Perhaps you are the only one to leave and come to the UK....... Certainly seems to be telling a story.......

Oi !

You lot ! Get you back to the NZ forum and stop messing around in here.

mince and cheese pies
Oh gawd. Yuk and treble yuk. Bleurgh. Disgusting.

It's an abomination of a quality pie. Steak and Ale. Steak and Kidney . They do the same nasty cheese thing with sausages y'know.

Same Timtams - Yuk ! and also the smoked rashers and the over salted crisps and the over sugared baked beans. I can' t abide muffins. Scones and a cream tea . Yes. Greasy muffins . No.

but the place was swarming with what the locals call the Birmingham Navy!
Oh really. That would be my husband's very hard working family. Thank you for that.

We get the same here in this area of Nelson and Bays . Swarms of all sorts with boats and no safety intelligence and no thought and no education coming from Christchurch, Wellington. Auckland FYI. Bog off the lot of you . It's for us and only us.

Jobs ? Flippin' heck. Check it out ! It's no different here. Recession. Less money . More work hours or no work hours and flipping well no money. That means no wages ! We've had that for the past two years .
Resources stretched to the limits and well beyond. Actually resoources are less here coz of less people.

I just had a person turn up on my doorstep with mental help problems and there was no help forthcoming from the acute mental health team in the area even though the person was on their books !. No NZ money - No NZ staff. No NZ resources.
No. I didn't really know the person.

Same for anti-social noise ! We've had 8 months of that . No result.

Point of this post ?

Seeing some of you here ,as I was passing, made me think. This is the Moving Back to the UK forum for people that are making that very difficult decision or move.

Why are you here ?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS you are too funny!!!

I always come on this part because I love reading different stories and experiences. It is so interesting to read about how some people settle, some don't, why they settle, why they don't. Being on this part in particular has taught me to actually appreciate London a little bit more, I won't be here forever so I want to make the most of it.

I don't like the whole UK versus insert other country scenario, every person has their reasons for moving from and maybe back to the UK.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marbles
I miss the open space and the lack of traffic, I miss sitting out in my garden enjoying the nice weather, I miss small towns which i can drive through without the cars being parked on both side and it being down to one way only. I miss going to a beach and being the only one it. I miss seeing children cycling and walking to school. When i think about it i really did enjoy my life out there (which is why we are going back) we came back for family but we haven't seen my OH family for over 6 months, they aren't interested in their grandchildren, so we wouldn't be any worse off being back over there. Roll on december if we are lucky.

Good luck to you.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

agreed timtams are, itchy feet I think!
You can get Tim Tams in Tesco & Asda -
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

um! black forest tim tams and choclate fish lovely! decent coffee again all is well down under will get back to NZ forum now!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

hhmm..let me think if I missed anything while I was away for two and a half months??

1, fresh roasted coffee.... (have had enough rotten old thick crap coffee.. )

2, An ocean climate...(Now I can tell how much I hate the continental climate - sunny weather with low humidity and seasonal extremes in temperature - its soooo bad!)

3, Blue sky...(..blue sky is a rare sight. ...... Extreme downpours and constant grey skies with pollution )

4, Green open space.. (No Thanks grey concrete jungle....I personally think something like New York city is ugly...)

5, (sometimes) I even missed cool fresh (Welly) wind & air...

6, what else? I will think about it....

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 17th 2010 at 5:29 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

all of the above!!!!!! except the wind, Auckland was just beautiful at the weekend!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by crap coffee
hhmm..let me think if I missed anything while I was away for two and a half months??
I hope you are well, following your travels, CC.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you miss about NZ?

Without any doubt the magical sunsets over the Bay of Islands viewed from the verandah of the Duke of Marlborough Hotel sipping a chilled glass of white wine

If this was not paradise, it was certainly the best definition I can still make of it !

Karim
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

I've now got a job so we are going back in december and we're really excited. We know there will be loads of things we miss but we feel that there is so much more to offer out there.

Last edited by marbles; Oct 22nd 2010 at 7:38 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

look forward to welcoming you back 2nd time around I think we have acceptance we know the differences but we are trying to look with fresh eyes I am loving my new job and Auckland is awesome. I was back in the UK for a total of 7 months jobless and frustrated at having no money etc, It showed me how good life was here also i managed to say good bye to an Aunt while over in the UK who has now died I do not regret going back for one minute but am enjoying life to the full now, sun shinning on the beach again this weekend what more can one ask 9oh a decent cup of coffee or a glass of chilled wine bliss)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.