Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about NZ?

What do you miss about NZ?

Old May 29th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Default What do you miss about NZ?

Well.....anything?
Old May 29th 2010, 5:21 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about NZ?

Originally Posted by kooga61
Well.....anything?
Perhaps you are the only one to leave and come to the UK....... Certainly seems to be telling a story.......
Old May 30th 2010, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Rauriki is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to leave but OH and kids all settled.
I would miss NOTHING AT ALL , If I was ever lucky enough to get back to UK ! The things I miss about the UK are ENDLESS !!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 7:18 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rauriki
I would love to leave but OH and kids all settled.
I would miss NOTHING AT ALL , If I was ever lucky enough to get back to UK ! The things I miss about the UK are ENDLESS !!!!!!!
Please don't hijack the post The question by Kooga is simple and vey useful
Old May 30th 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

bakinblak is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been back in uk 1 blissful year
I dont miss anything about NZ
The weather is the same as UK and to be honest the UK country side if far more spectacular ! I spent 9 years over there and wish I had come back sooner !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bakinblak
I have been back in uk 1 blissful year
I dont miss anything about NZ
The weather is the same as UK and to be honest the UK country side if far more spectacular ! I spent 9 years over there and wish I had come back sooner !!!!!!!!!!
So where did you go to and where did you come back to?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

fuuny enough lots, we returned in January big mistake I have not managed to secure any work I am either too over qualified or you do not have enough up to date knowledge now with the civil service job freeze (had 2 interviews cancelled this week) and NHS job cuts there is little or no work.

We currently live in Cornwall although would have located anywhere south of Brum but we miss the space, the ease to get around, the activities to do that do not cost an arm and leg and the the fact we were not filling our cars up every 2 days! at rip off prices.
TBH both countries have their negatives and we did not come back for family but OH family have not even bothered in the 5 months we have returned mine have managed 1 get together.

We know NZ is not over dog friendly we know its miles from anywhere we know housing is not wonderful but hey UK houses have their faults to.We miss big time the cafe culture we had in wellington tbh some of the English cafes are well say no more!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by janeyk
fuuny enough lots, we returned in January big mistake I have not managed to secure any work I am either too over qualified or you do not have enough up to date knowledge now with the civil service job freeze (had 2 interviews cancelled this week) and NHS job cuts there is little or no work.

We currently live in Cornwall although would have located anywhere south of Brum but we miss the space, the ease to get around, the activities to do that do not cost an arm and leg and the the fact we were not filling our cars up every 2 days! at rip off prices.
TBH both countries have their negatives and we did not come back for family but OH family have not even bothered in the 5 months we have returned mine have managed 1 get together.

We know NZ is not over dog friendly we know its miles from anywhere we know housing is not wonderful but hey UK houses have their faults to.We miss big time the cafe culture we had in wellington tbh some of the English cafes are well say no more!
Thanks for the input Janeyk....sorry about the work situation, it is bad in the UK at the mo. If you miss the spaces and ease of getting around living in Cornwall imagine what the Midlands are like now! Will you settle or are you both getting itchy feet?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:41 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

When I lived in the UK (I was born and raised in NZ) I missed not much at all.

My family, mince and cheese pies (although I did find a good alternative in the end); burger rings; Jaffas and pineapple lumps.

Not a lot really.

Now we are currently in NZ moving back to the UK within a year (fingers crossed).
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ble
When I lived in the UK (I was born and raised in NZ) I missed not much at all.

My family, mince and cheese pies (although I did find a good alternative in the end); burger rings; Jaffas and pineapple lumps.

Not a lot really.

Now we are currently in NZ moving back to the UK within a year (fingers crossed).
It's funny isn't it.....food has quite a bearing on what you miss (me too). Funny thing is, if it's been a while since you tried them, you find you've lost the taste for them! I tried a Penguin biscuit the other day (for the first time in 12 years), and I have to say I was disappointed....Tim tams are much better!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:01 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

It's funny isn't it.....food has quite a bearing on what you miss (me too). Funny thing is, if it's been a while since you tried them, you find you've lost the taste for them! I tried a Penguin biscuit the other day (for the first time in 12 years), and I have to say I was disappointed....Tim tams are much better!!!

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you miss about NZ?

agreed timtams are, itchy feet I think!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk

And the public sector job cuts haven't even started yet, properly. They have to cut their deficit by something like 60 billion a year to get back on track in Britain. They just took 6 billion off the deficit and that alone means massive job cuts.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga61
I tried a Penguin biscuit the other day (for the first time in 12 years), and I have to say I was disappointed....Tim tams are much better!!!

True.

have never had a Penguin biscuit (Is it nice btw? )..... (its overly expensive in nz anyway, and not to mention too much sugar in it)

must admit TimTam Classic Dark Chocolate is the ONLY one I think its decent stuff if still quite sweet (to me). If _I_ can eat then means its acceptable quality. Made in Oz/NZ biscuits/chocolates or anything processed - they are mostly rubbish. I hate Griffins. Arnott's is better quality as its eatable at least.

I hear lots of ppl miss TimTam.. once they lived in oz....seems popular among teenagers and young people.

Last week, found Cadbury rich Tea chocolate biscuits at NW...still there are heaps left... well its so similar to Digestive biscuit eh.
Attached Thumbnails What do you miss about NZ?-cadbury-biscuits.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 4th 2010 at 10:28 am.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

I miss the open space and the lack of traffic, I miss sitting out in my garden enjoying the nice weather, I miss small towns which i can drive through without the cars being parked on both side and it being down to one way only. I miss going to a beach and being the only one it. I miss seeing children cycling and walking to school. When i think about it i really did enjoy my life out there (which is why we are going back) we came back for family but we haven't seen my OH family for over 6 months, they aren't interested in their grandchildren, so we wouldn't be any worse off being back over there. Roll on december if we are lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.