Reload this Page >

What to do with UK iPhone when moving to the US

What to do with UK iPhone when moving to the US

Old May 19th 2010, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with UK iPhone when moving to the US

Hello everybody,

I have an Apple iPhone (3G) on an O2 monthly contract.

I was just wondering what my options are in regard to using it in the US.

Can I buy a 'Pay as you go' sim card in the US and put in my phone once I get out there? Will I be able to hook up to free 3G internet like I do here in the UK?

What do you think my options are?

Old May 19th 2010, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with UK iPhone when moving to the US

Sell it on Ebay before you move and use the money to buy a new one here.
Old May 19th 2010, 1:48 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aklor
Hello everybody,

I have an Apple iPhone (3G) on an O2 monthly contract.

I was just wondering what my options are in regard to using it in the US.

Can I buy a 'Pay as you go' sim card in the US and put in my phone once I get out there? Will I be able to hook up to free 3G internet like I do here in the UK?

What do you think my options are?

I'm sure there's an App for that.
Old May 19th 2010, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm, just had a look on apple's website. $70 a month is the minimum plan. Think it's probably best if I give up on the idea of owning my beloved iphone until I'm more financially secure over there.

OK, second question:

What's the cheapest way of having a cellphone which has free 3G so that I can always check my email, have access to the internet etc...
Old May 19th 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I'm sure there's an App for that.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:06 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

What's the cheapest way of having a cellphone which has free 3G so that I can always check my email, have access to the internet etc...
Personally I've never heard of 3G for for free!

I would keep a hold of the iPhone though, you can still use it on wireless, no?
Old May 19th 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Personally I've never heard of 3G for for free!
What I guess I mean is; UNLIMITED 3G access thingymajig, for the cheapest monthly price.

Emails, Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, Google Map...... that's all I use a mobile phone for these days. Never use it to make calls.

p.s. What's the USA equivalent of Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U etc ? Trying to look online to get an idea of phone plans and prices in the US, but struggling to find a good website.

Last edited by aklor; May 19th 2010 at 2:18 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Sprint has the cheapest all in deal, but they are rubbish. But they may be good if where you are going has good Sprint service. I pay $30 a month on top of the monthly charge with Verizon. There are a few places that have multi-provider stores, Best Buy for instance, but usually it's the providers stores that are more available.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Duncan.

Do you or anyone else know if it's possible to get a pay monthly phone from Verizon/AT&T etc.... and then just take out the sim-card and put it in an unlocked iPhone?
Old May 19th 2010, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What I guess I mean is; UNLIMITED 3G access thingymajig, for the cheapest monthly price.

Emails, Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, Google Map...... that's all I use a mobile phone for these days. Never use it to make calls.

p.s. What's the USA equivalent of Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U etc ? Trying to look online to get an idea of phone plans and prices in the US, but struggling to find a good website.
Depending on the area you will be using the phone in could depend on your phone provider. Some companies have better coverage in certain areas...ie in my area Verizon rules. Try the websites of Verizon, Sprint and AT&T...they are some of the largest providers...it should show what area they cover as well as phones and the cost of monthly plans.

Also please be aware that whatever price you are quoted that will not be your final monthly bill. On top will be many extra taxes etc and it's very difficult to sort out what is what. In the US you are also charged for incoming as well as outgoing calls

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 19th 2010 at 4:34 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

double post

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; May 19th 2010 at 4:43 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Duncan.

Do you or anyone else know if it's possible to get a pay monthly phone from Verizon/AT&T etc.... and then just take out the sim-card and put it in an unlocked iPhone?
Not all companies here use sim cards, T-Mobile does for sure and Verizon for sure doesn't. I think AT&T do and Sprint don't but I'm not sure. I believe if the company uses CDMA they don't have SIMs if they are GSM they do, don't quote me on that. I don't know how the iPhone works, just that it's locked to AT&T here if you buy it.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There really isn't a free or cheap option over here for that.

What service to use will really depend on where you'll mostly be using it though.

Duncan was right about who have sim cards though...and data usage will be the biggest issue, you don't get much on a cheap plan or PAYG type of deal.
Old May 19th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

You need to cancel your contract before you do anything as AT&T will not touch your phone if it's still locked .
I rang Apple about this and there is a complete unlock function found on O2's site here
Once it's unlocked completely you can take it to the US and sign it up with AT&T (who I believe are still the only carrier). It must be completely unlocked though
Old May 20th 2010, 10:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sell it on ebay and start fresh when you arrive. Not only will you get a pretty good price for it, but there is a new iPhone being introduced in the US on June 22 or so.

There is no free 3G service to speak of, and very few plans that will allow unlimited data without some other monthly contract.

Verizon is a CDMA-based system. They do not use SIM cards but hardwire the phones. ATT & T-Mobile are GSM systems. There is no real carphone warehouse or site like that, but occasionally small mom and pop places here and there. Best Buy offers some phones, but not all. Most of the retailers have exclusivity deals with specific carriers.

Your best bet is to start with the major carriers websites:

Verizon
ATT
Tmobile
Sprint

You could always just get an iPod touch and scour for free wifi nets where you are located. Not a perfect solution but probably the cheapest (no monthly fee). AT&T and TMobile have 'hot spots' around the country but the coverage is basically in major cities and airports and the like. McDonalds and Starbucks and whatnot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.