What a day

Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What a day

Had my immigrant visa interview today and was approved.

Tip the first: If you live in Newcastle and want to save money by getting the 4:15am train and making it a day trip, don't bother. Your whole day will be some kind of semi-asleep daze.

My appointment was at 9 but I got there around 8:20 after dropping my electronics off at Gould's. People were already filing in and I got number I-915. They were already seeing I-909 when I got in at 8:32 though so only had to wait about 45 minutes to be called to the first window. I-114 seemed to have disappeared (whoever they were) and didn't answer multiple calls so that probably sped things up a bit.

Tip the second: The waiting room is hotter than hell. Bring plenty to drink.

The lady was very friendly and we had a bit of a chat while she collected the documents. I was just pleased I'd remembered them all. I paid and finished handing everything over and went to wait again. That probably all took about 15 minutes. Grabbed a sandwich (£3) and a cup of tea (£1) and settled in for about another hour and a half.

Watched dozens of N-numbers getting processed before getting called for the interview. It really was very straightforward. This lady was very friendly too and the way she asked the questions it was like I'd already been given the visa ("Where are you moving to" and "why are you moving" rather than "where are you hoping to move to" and "why are you applying for a visa"). I don't know if she had already made her mind up but it's a lot more relaxing when it feels like a chat rather than feeling like you're being grilled on your motives. I'm sure that's by design.

Anyway, if I remember correctly I was asked (after swearing an oath and being given back my original birth, police and marriage certificate):

1. How did you meet your wife?
2. Where does she live now?
2.2 So you petitioned her for a visa to live in the UK?
3. Why are you moving?
4. Where are you moving to?
4.2 Why there?
5. What do you and your wife do for a living?
6. Have you handed in your notices?
6.2 Do you have copies? (Sh*t, I didn't - she didn't seem concerned by that and appeared to take my word)
7. Do you rent or own?
7.2 Have you given notice to the landlord? (Again, I hadn't brought it and panicked that I was going to have to say "no" again but this time she didn't ask)
8. When are you moving?

And that was it. She told me the visa will expire December 6th (6 months after the medical) and then told me it was approved. Went off to pay the courier and was back out on the street around 11:15.

I found all the staff to be helpful, friendly and efficient (maybe they could have a word with airport staff )and was pleasantly surprised to get change back from a fiver (or even from a tenner!) for a snack and a drink. Also found London to be surprisingly not busy. Got a seat on the tube at 8am and at noon. I don't think I've ever managed to sit on the tube before. Public areas didn't seem any worse than they normally were.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a day

Originally Posted by JSL8610
6. Have you handed in your notices?
6.2 Do you have copies? (Sh*t, I didn't - she didn't seem concerned by that and appeared to take my word)
7. Do you rent or own?
7.2 Have you given notice to the landlord? (Again, I hadn't brought it and panicked that I was going to have to say "no" again but this time she didn't ask)
Congratulations!

Regarding numbers 6 and 7 above, if you're doing a DCF case, those items are normally what we suggest bringing to the interview to show "intent to domicile" for the USC.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations!

Regarding numbers 6 and 7 above, if you're doing a DCF case, those items are normally what we suggest bringing to the interview to show "intent to domicile" for the USC.

Rene
Yeah, I definitely meant to bring our lease but somehow left it behind. My wife's already booked her flight home though and I had her one-way flight confirmation with me which I thought would probably do the job if I had been asked "Do you have any proof of your wife planning to re-domicile in the US?"

While I was aware that was what the CO was getting at, she only asked for our notice. I didn't want to fall foul of answering questions that weren't asked
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Had my immigrant visa interview today and was approved.
Congratulations

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations!

Rene
The fact they were not concerned he didn't have copies shows the relaxed attitude to "intend to domicile" still seems to be holding up.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Congratulations

The fact they were not concerned he didn't have copies shows the relaxed attitude to "intend to domicile" still seems to be holding up.
I agree.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Congratulations, I'm sure you're over the moon
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Congratulations

I know of a DCF interview last week where they did not approve because the interviewer wanted proof of plane tickets purchased, resignation from job, and notice to landlord of date moving. She said to send those items and it would be approved. So different that most report and kinda weird to do those things prior to interview. They had a lease on a place in the US, but he answered the question of "when are you moving?" with an earlier date than they had said on their application papers (because interview came faster than anticipated), so she said in that case they needed to also send a new lease agreement dated earlier. Just puzzling
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene, Lansbury and Ryan. Just happy to be home right now - knackered.

Moxie - I'm glad I didn't get that interviewer.

Thinking back to the order of the questions actually, I'm certain she only asked me if I'd handed in my notice and if I had a copy of it. Then she asked what my wife did, but didn't ask anything about her notice (maybe she just assumed correctly that if I couldn't bring my own notice then I wasn't likely to have my wife's either ).

While there were a couple of questions relating to intent to re-domicile, I wasn't actually asked for proof. Guess I have a really trustworthy face
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie
I know of a DCF interview last week where they did not approve because the interviewer wanted proof of plane tickets purchased, resignation from job, and notice to landlord of date moving. She said to send those items and it would be approved. So different that most report and kinda weird to do those things prior to interview. They had a lease on a place in the US, but he answered the question of "when are you moving?" with an earlier date than they had said on their application papers (because interview came faster than anticipated), so she said in that case they needed to also send a new lease agreement dated earlier. Just puzzling
Fortunately that sort of experience is still a minority one.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Moxie
I know who you are talking about. Its crazy and wrong what they did to that couple.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice

Congrats on your approval! Really happy for you. Hope things continue to go smoothly for you
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holly2234
Congrats on your approval! Really happy for you. Hope things continue to go smoothly for you
Thanks Hilly. All going surprisingly well so far. Sure there must be something I'm overlooking.

Edit: Er... Holly, not Hilly. God, it's like an episode of Red Dwarf in here.

Last edited by JSL8610; Aug 6th 2012 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Hilly. All going surprisingly well so far. Sure there must be something I'm overlooking.

Edit: Er... Holly, not Hilly. God, it's like an episode of Red Dwarf in here.
Haha dont worry! Its got to be an improvement on being called "Olleh" in Nottingham

I keep thinking that with mine. Its been easy so far so im hoping we're just lucky!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Congratulations

Janet
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

SDB1985 will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on getting your visa

Seems a little odd they question about your notice at work and with landlord etc if you are the intending immigrant? (given that you have several months to actually enter the US on the visa)

I was planning on resigning the day of my interview (assuming Im approved) - though I could do this earlier I wasnt planning on actually making the move for about 6 weeks after I actually have the visa in hand, and would rather be in work as long as possible for the simple reason of being paid!

Do most people hand in their notice before their interviews?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.