Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?

What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?

Old May 10th 2007, 12:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?

I made a brief attempt to find this out online, but didnt come up with a definitive answer based on crime figures, NHS performance levels and all round general "niceness"

Does anybody know if there is a sort of league table of the best places to live in UK?

I am not really after peoples individual preferences, but more a statistical answer because what makes one place perfect for one person may not suit another, as we all know due to wanting to leave Aus for starters!! LOL
Old May 10th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I made a brief attempt to find this out online, but didnt come up with a definitive answer based on crime figures, NHS performance levels and all round general "niceness"

Does anybody know if there is a sort of league table of the best places to live in UK?

I am not really after peoples individual preferences, but more a statistical answer because what makes one place perfect for one person may not suit another, as we all know due to wanting to leave Aus for starters!! LOL
No idea I'm afraid
Old May 10th 2007, 4:01 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh well, at least you replied Birdy. Thankyou

I think my wife has more luck on this forum. I am starting to get jealous. When she uses my ID people speak to her. I ask questions no one is interested in!!

Its ok, I won't sulk.... MUCH

Old May 10th 2007, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh well, at least you replied Birdy. Thankyou

I think my wife has more luck on this forum. I am starting to get jealous. When she uses my ID people speak to her. I ask questions no one is interested in!!

Its ok, I won't sulk.... MUCH

I'll reply happily although cant help. If the ? was opinion based you'd be inundated no doubt.

Any idea of where you'd like to move back to?
Old May 10th 2007, 4:13 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I'll reply happily although cant help. If the ? was opinion based you'd be inundated no doubt.

Any idea of where you'd like to move back to?
Thats just it. I dont have a clue. Like the idea of semi rural, but need good health service providers fairly close by. I did like Taunton Somerset when we visited a few years ago.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats just it. I dont have a clue. Like the idea of semi rural, but need good health service providers fairly close by. I did like Taunton Somerset when we visited a few years ago.
Beautiful area.
Devons top too...........
Old May 10th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I'm here! I did read you honestly I did, just couldn't think of anything to answer with!

If its any help, I grew up near Heathrow, have lived in Berkshire, Suffolk and last time Warwickshire and I just love Suffolk and Warwickshire. No idea what the crime rate is or anything like that but they are beautiful.

I will ask OH if he knows anything for later on!

Di

Last edited by PLANTS; May 10th 2007 at 4:51 am. Reason: spellings!
Old May 10th 2007, 6:15 am
Just Joined

karenrose38 is an unknown quantity at this point

derbyshire is great too. high peak area is beautiful and you can still get to stockport, manchester, sheffield, macclesfield and derby. reasonable house prices too!
k
Old May 10th 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenrose38
derbyshire is great too. high peak area is beautiful and you can still get to stockport, manchester, sheffield, macclesfield and derby. reasonable house prices too!
k
Just what I was about to say! Have loved living in the High Peak, as well as rural Lancs and Dorset. For me Dorset is best becuse we have the coast too, but I do miss those moors and the people...and the Trafford Centre!
Crime figures are available from local forces (try internet) and channel 4 did a "best place to live in UK " programme back in Nov 2006. West Dorset (where we are almost back to) scored in at number 10! I am pretty sure there are various national news articles on this subjst you may find on a google search?
Old May 10th 2007, 7:01 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Somerset, Dorset and Devon areas are beautiful
Old May 10th 2007, 7:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6564215.stm
Old May 10th 2007, 7:42 am
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ellesmere Port!!!

Should never have left to come to Australia, bored of the trees, beaches scenery. Crave for the picturesque sites of petro chem industries and smells of chemicals in the air!!!!

Only Joking

My brother lives in the forest of dean (yorkley), this is a place I could deffinitely live if I returned to the UK.

I have attached some pics from earlier in the year.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?-forest-dean5.bmp   What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?-forest-dean11.bmp   What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?-forest-dean4.bmp   What Is The Best UK County/Area To Live In?-copy-738708-blot_on_the_landscape-ellesmere_port.jpg  
Old May 10th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andy170773
Ellesmere Port!!!

Should never have left to come to Australia, bored of the trees, beaches scenery. Crave for the picturesque sites of petro chem industries and smells of chemicals in the air!!!!

Only Joking

My brother lives in the forest of dean (yorkley), this is a place I could deffinitely live if I returned to the UK.

I have attached some pics from earlier in the year.

Good Luck

Oh Wow!
Now you have done it, I am more homesick than ever, look at that snow everywhere, absolute stunning piccies. What I'd give to be walking there right now!

Thanks for sharing.

Di
Old May 10th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

tommyheaven will become famous soon enough

There was a programme on tv by location location location on channel4 which went through the best places to live in the Uk. Can't remember much - I thought that Canterbury was top - could be wrong. I am sure there will be something on the internet. It was fun tv but had some good points in it. Try channel4.com
Old May 10th 2007, 9:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Well, I thought I didn't have anything to offer, not knowing a statistical site and all, but as I live in East Dunbartonshire, I can say that's where I'd have recommended if the OP had asked for opinion ...

I lived here (not too far from Milngavie, which was featured in the BBC report) in 2000 and when I decided to come back to the UK, this was my preferred place. After being back for 5 months, I saw a job ad at a local uni and got the job - so here I am back again!

I walk the dog out on the paths or just around the local playing field and especially recently with the weather being so nice, I'm struck by how many kids are just out there having fun (unsupervised). Reminds me of my childhood when we'd run out the door after tea and not come back until dark. Sure, we have some neds (burned down the kids play area a few years back, the bar-stewards) but other than that there's very little sign of crime (people leave stuff out in the front garden and it doesn't get stolen, etc.)

Of course house prices here have surged in the past few years - but still reasonable compared to much of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.