Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is the average wage in england per week

Wikiposts

What is the average wage in england per week

Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice
Default Re: What is the average wage in england per week

Originally Posted by Brigette
Oh! Ok thanks. I'm going to assume that council tax is only for home owners? Is that correct?
No, renting versus owning is not a distinction for council tax (it pays for the provision of essential services) so, other factors notwithstanding, you will have to pay that, and it could amount to £150-200 per month, depending on the value of the property. I believe there's a 25% discount for single occupancy.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

wow I will be making a decent salary above average but not so sure now with the UK taxes. 20% VAT tax...ummm ok

Is this reliable to use to get an idea of PAYE taxes?
http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php
Here's a handy net salary calculator for normal people (i.e., regular earners without any exotic tax situation):

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

re: VAT, at least it is rolled into the sales price, not like the States where you buy a $10 shirt and the price at the till can be anything from $10 to £12 depending on what state you live in - so in the UK, "What you see is what you pay". Also, unlike the States, there is no "state tax" on top of national government income tax. And as has been said, property taxes in the UK are lower than many places in the US (though where I lived in rural NC, property tax was actually lower than my current UK council tax).
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jbrown
No, renting versus owning is not a distinction for council tax (it pays for the provision of essential services) so, other factors notwithstanding, you will have to pay that, and it could amount to £150-200 per month, depending on the value of the property. I believe there's a 25% discount for single occupancy.
Thanks. I guess it will be a good thing that I will be staying with family until I get myself on my feet..a job, saved some money etc. Thanks for your patience...I left the UK as a child with my parents so now I'm trying to learn all I can before I return

ETA: thanks dunroving for the link. Ah I see about the VAT. Thanks for breaking down the tax information. Makes more sense now
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Some landlords will pay council tax, but they are the exception.

Also, if you rent a room or two in a homeowners house, they may quote a rent inclusive of council tax (and sometimes bills). With the government's rent-a-room scheme (something like £4,000 p.a. rental income allowed tax-free) and the poor economy, I think more homeowners are opening their doors to lodgers - check www.spareroom.co.uk.

Yes, I get the single-occupant discount (I didn't tell them about the dog!)
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

Thanks. I guess it will be a good thing that I will be staying with family until I get myself on my feet..a job, saved some money etc. Thanks for your patience...I left the UK as a child with my parents so now I'm trying to learn all I can before I return

ETA: thanks dunroving for the link. Ah I see about the VAT. Thanks for breaking down the tax information. Makes more sense now
Oh, you're very welcome. If you're staying with family and are employed in the usual way, taxation isn't something you will really notice in the UK (beyond the reduction in money coming in ). Most people using PAYE in the UK do not need to file a personal tax return at the end of the year. The only other factors to consider are US tax liabilities (depending on your status, although there is a double-taxation agreement) and the first year of residence in the UK, where your tax situation may be slightly more complicated. You may want to think about the timing of your return also. Note that the UK tax year runs from April 6th, not on the calendar year, as in the US.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Some landlords will pay council tax, but they are the exception.
Yes, it's certainly worth checking the tenancy agreement, but it's fairly unusual, and the rent would then reflect that cost.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Oh, you're very welcome. If you're staying with family and are employed in the usual way, taxation isn't something you will really notice in the UK (beyond the reduction in money coming in ). Most people using PAYE in the UK do not need to file a personal tax return at the end of the year. The only other factors to consider are US tax liabilities (depending on your status, although there is a double-taxation agreement) and the first year of residence in the UK, where your tax situation may be slightly more complicated. You may want to think about the timing of your return also. Note that the UK tax year runs from April 6th, not on the calendar year, as in the US.
Unfortunately mid to end of summer latest SEpt (heaven forbid) is when I'll be able to move. Yes I'm deciding what to do about the US tax liabilities (it's such a pain). What would be the best time to return for tax purposes?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
"What you see is what you pay".
Took me a while to get used to that when I first moved to the US.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately mid to end of summer latest SEpt (heaven forbid) is when I'll be able to move. Yes I'm deciding what to do about the US tax liabilities (it's such a pain). What would be the best time to return for tax purposes?
It really depends on your situation, so I wouldn't like to offer specific advice. If you plan to transfer significant assets, I would recommend professional advice. To give you an example though, you do get a personal tax-free allowance each year in the UK (assuming you're not a high earner), which resets each April 6th. I'm sure you're aware of the US filing requirements as a US citizen. Also, don't forget about your FBAR, due each June for the prior year.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

It really depends on your situation, so I wouldn't like to offer specific advice. If you plan to transfer significant assets, I would recommend professional advice. To give you an example though, you do get a personal tax-free allowance each year in the UK (assuming you're not a high earner), which resets each April 6th. I'm sure you're aware of the US filing requirements as a US citizen. Also, don't forget about your FBAR, due each June for the prior year.
Sorry for the misunderstanding..wasn't asking for advice, just your opinion. I'm currently in graduate school and upon graduation next year will be going home. So no significant assets or anything like that... as previously mentioned...curious with a quest to know all that I can before returning home
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for the misunderstanding..wasn't asking for advice, just your opinion. I'm currently in graduate school and upon graduation next year will be going home. So no significant assets or anything like that... as previously mentioned...curious with a quest to know all that I can before returning home
It's just that I don't want to offer you bad advice/opinion that isn't pertinent to your situation. If you do straddle two tax years (i.e. you return somewhere in the middle of one), your UK tax-free allowance still applies in each tax year, so that is something to consider in terms of timing your return, depending on your employment plans.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

It's just that I don't want to offer you bad advice/opinion that isn't pertinent to your situation. If you do straddle two tax years (i.e. you return somewhere in the middle of one), your UK tax-free allowance still applies in each tax year, so that is something to consider in terms of timing your return, depending on your employment plans.
The tax situation has led to a fervent discussion here a few wks ago.. still haven't decided what to do...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=736804&page=2
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

The tax situation has led to a fervent discussion here a few wks ago.. still haven't decided what to do...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=736804&page=2
So you aren't currently a USC? Honestly, I wouldn't base my decision about citizenship on potential tax complexities. There are some, but they're hardly profound. You'll have to relinquish your GC once you become a UK resident (i.e. immediately) and thus any possibility of becoming a USC via the GC. Of course, if you really have no ties to the US or expectations of ties at any point in the future, then it might factor, but it certainly wouldn't drive my decision.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robin1234
Broadly speaking, for people on mid-level incomes, taxes (income tax, NIC, VAT and fuel taxes) seem high compared to US levels.. but then it is balanced out by much lower property taxes (council tax) in the UK AND no further payment for health care once you've paid taxes.
Yes, a very accurate observation. For me, the UK (in my field at least) has some very good contract rates that I can take advantage of and I do not need a permanent job for the health benefits because of the NHS.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

So you aren't currently a USC? Honestly, I wouldn't base my decision about citizenship on potential tax complexities. There are some, but they're hardly profound. You'll have to relinquish your GC once you become a UK resident (i.e. immediately) and thus any possibility of becoming a USC via the GC. Of course, if you really have no ties to the US or expectations of ties at any point in the future, then it might factor, but it certainly wouldn't drive my decision.
Not the driving decision, but the thought of having to pay taxes etc to US for the rest of my life is a pain. A huge decision of course...one I have to made in the upcoming year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.