Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what airline would you recomend?

Wikiposts

what airline would you recomend?

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what airline would you recomend?

Originally Posted by quoll
From Australia use Qantas - avoid BA.
I'm not saying that isn't based on your experience but I do find it odd, personally, I don't think you could find 2 airlines as similar as these two.

They're both prone to bouts of excellence followed by bouts of lousiness.

They're both a bit of a lottery...you can get a great crew...or a bunch of people who've been doing it for too long and think they're doing you a favour by being there!

I haven't done much long haul flying on Qantas...but I'd describe it as just 'OK'.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:17 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore every time.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:25 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
Hi, I am going to travel back to the UK soon and was wondering what airlines people who have done it recently would recomend.

Any other info would be appreciated to, like meals, entertainment.

Thanks
Emirates without question or take a boat and do it in comfort.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for some great feedback everyone.

I should have said I was going from Australia to the UK.
I just checked on heathrow and see they are now allowing flights so I am guessing the weather must be improving a bit over there now.

I am really undecided about which airline to try and am dreading the flight back to be honest. I have started to consider if its worth stopping off on the way back and doing a few hops instead of one long trip, that might break it up a bit.

I have also tried to find a boat option but they are crazy prices, only the cargo ships are cheaper but are obviously not designed with passengers in mind.

Now the snows clearing I might try for a flight in a few weeks, any more advice is always appreciated.

Thanks for the airline quality website, working my way through it now
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
The food is an issue for kids, though. They gave away my sons' pre-booked meals to others and had almost nothing to give them instead. If I hadn't taken extra foods in a cooler bag, it would have been even more unpleasant for everyone - a hungry young child is no fun.
LOL BA did that to me on my last trip and gave my gluten free meal to the bloke sitting beside me - I was dozing and he obviously didnt understand that it was a special meal. It was annoying for me but not a major event, I could and did go without but it could have been more difficult for others! What p*ssed me off was the trolley dolly who implied it was my fault for not having booked a special meal - until she twigged about the bloke beside me and then she bent over backwards to find an alternative (couldnt find one though)
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough

Lufthansa!
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm not saying that isn't based on your experience but I do find it odd, personally, I don't think you could find 2 airlines as similar as these two.

They're both prone to bouts of excellence followed by bouts of lousiness.

They're both a bit of a lottery...you can get a great crew...or a bunch of people who've been doing it for too long and think they're doing you a favour by being there!

I haven't done much long haul flying on Qantas...but I'd describe it as just 'OK'.
I'm still waiting for the OK one on BA! Must have been extraordinarily lucky with my tens of QF flights, long haul they have been fabulous. It took me 20 years to get back on a BA flight after a particularly noxious one when I was a lone mum with a baby and a toddler and on the 3 trips I have had with them since then, one was borderline OK and the last one I took suggests it will be another 20 years before I go back with them I just wish Qantas would stop code sharing with them!
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Air New Zealand - for their awesome service.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salgb
Air New Zealand - for their awesome service.
You must be a Kiwi bloke or gal.......

I'd say their service is gross. that is.

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 25th 2010 at 8:40 am.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crap coffee
You must be a Kiwi bloke or girl.......

I'd say their service is gross. that is.
Neither! I'm a girl - I'm original from GB, living in CA for 20+ years! I've always found Air NZ great. I also like Virgin Atlantic, but they mostly fly the Airbus from LAX to LHR, and I prefer to fly Boeing. Flew BA three times and thought they were horrid. I haven't flown BA for years - so maybe they've stepped it up by now? I have also flown United - who were okay.

Happy Christmas!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by salgb
Neither! I'm a girl - I'm original from GB, living in CA for 20+ years! I've always found Air NZ great. I also like Virgin Atlantic, but they mostly fly the Airbus from LAX to LHR, and I prefer to fly Boeing. Flew BA three times and thought they were horrid. I haven't flown BA for years - so maybe they've stepped it up by now? I have also flown United - who were okay.

Happy Christmas!
Yup Air NZ all the way. I avoid any American carrier like the plague for reasons already given in this thread.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

I've just booked my 6th trip back to the UK with Etihad and think they're very good and very reasonable. I have a toddler and have always found the air hostesses to be approachable and helpful.

Its all much of a muchness, depends what you want. what you're prepared to pay etc etc...

I wanted a good air mile scheme, short stop (etihad is around 3 hours and I get to spend it in the business class lounge because I've travelled economy with them for the last 6 times!), helpfullness and definitely price. Seats aren't bad, food is ok and the entertainment is good.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Just avoid Air NZ. I am just telling you the truth - not exaggerate. the worst airline meals I've ever experienced was Air NZ, seriously - wasn't eatable. and the aircraft is old too - terrible noise when landing. Qantas is way better. I like Qantas. Hate Air NZ. The service they offer - from baggage to foods - makes me very upset each time. to be honest I am unpleasant traveling with Air NZ though I've got no other choice.

I like Qantas, Korean Air, Asiana Airline, Singapre Airline and British Airways.

JAL went bankrupt ovbiously - read about the news a few days ago (both in Korean & Japanese.)
Asiana Business. You get a relaxing stop over in the Royal Seoul. The fare is 'mani syeo' and the food is 'aju majisyeo'.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I'm still waiting for the OK one on BA! Must have been extraordinarily lucky with my tens of QF flights, long haul they have been fabulous. It took me 20 years to get back on a BA flight after a particularly noxious one when I was a lone mum with a baby and a toddler and on the 3 trips I have had with them since then, one was borderline OK and the last one I took suggests it will be another 20 years before I go back with them I just wish Qantas would stop code sharing with them!
I'm with you, Qantas every time. BA I find are appalling, whereas Qantas have always treated me well. Just booked my next trip home and its Qantas again, no question. I always check that even though they are code sharing on most flights now, I only get Qantas sectors
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I've just booked my 6th trip back to the UK with Etihad and think they're very good and very reasonable. I have a toddler and have always found the air hostesses to be approachable and helpful.

Its all much of a muchness, depends what you want. what you're prepared to pay etc etc...

I wanted a good air mile scheme, short stop (etihad is around 3 hours and I get to spend it in the business class lounge because I've travelled economy with them for the last 6 times!), helpfullness and definitely price. Seats aren't bad, food is ok and the entertainment is good.
I am booked one way on Etihad too. The first part out of Sydney to Abu Dhabi is a code share with V, would that be on a V plane with V staff or Etihad staff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.