Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Were back from month in UK

Were back from month in UK

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Were back from month in UK

I must do a report but everyone still very emotional at the moment, kids very distressed at leaving family in UK, Family in Uk very distressed at us leaving again, me in the middle trying to hold it all together, complete and total emotional rollercoaster...............

Briefly those on this fourm should be reassured UK is nowhere as bad as peeps make out. Most people seem to be doing very well financially, the overseas trip seems as common as the ready meal, quite gobsmacked after living out here to see the shop assistant or brickie nattering on about florida, spain etc.... Weather was almost identical to a melbourne winter but 2/3 degrees colder, however they have got cold days since we left...... Food cheap compared to OZ, and we have come back here after a month to see yet another round of food increases . UK petrol prices high 86 p and parking is a nightmare you do pay for it everywhere, even on a remote deserted clifftop in yorkshire

Loved YORK, sister lives there now, wish we had more time there, would really have liked to have seen more in the way of areas, property, we were in a very nice area 10 mins from city walls, fantastic schools, quite shocked after what we have received here education wise, but as I say it was a very good and therefor expensive area.

Bit of a shock being back, everyone said it hasnt been hot here, well it is now, typical eh! flaming hot humid and feeling about as energetic as a limp
dishcloth made worse by sister and mum nattering on about their gardens in UK lightly dusted with frost.

Oh yes, 'kids with guns', 'kids dressed like prostitutes' NIL spotted , and people do speak to you, loads of them do, not in a '"hello how are you good how are you good, thats good' kind of way, most of what we got was humour/ real conversation/ helpful stuff really.

Biggest downside, property prices, and the brit media which needs to move abroad for a few years then stop whinging about what is often exactly the same overseas. Hilarious series running on moving to australia tho, glossed up to the max, had us wanting tho throw the flaming TV out the window
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:36 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Were back from month in UK

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I must do a report but everyone still very emotional at the moment, kids very distressed at leaving family in UK, Family in Uk very distressed at us leaving again, me in the middle trying to hold it all together, complete and total emotional rollercoaster...............

Briefly those on this fourm should be reassured UK is nowhere as bad as peeps make out. Most people seem to be doing very well financially, the overseas trip seems as common as the ready meal, quite gobsmacked after living out here to see the shop assistant or brickie nattering on about florida, spain etc.... Weather was almost identical to a melbourne winter but 2/3 degrees colder, however they have got cold days since we left...... Food cheap compared to OZ, and we have come back here after a month to see yet another round of food increases . UK petrol prices high 86 p and parking is a nightmare you do pay for it everywhere, even on a remote deserted clifftop in yorkshire

Loved YORK, sister lives there now, wish we had more time there, would really have liked to have seen more in the way of areas, property, we were in a very nice area 10 mins from city walls, fantastic schools, quite shocked after what we have received here education wise, but as I say it was a very good and therefor expensive area.

Bit of a shock being back, everyone said it hasnt been hot here, well it is now, typical eh! flaming hot humid and feeling about as energetic as a limp
dishcloth made worse by sister and mum nattering on about their gardens in UK lightly dusted with frost.

Oh yes, 'kids with guns', 'kids dressed like prostitutes' NIL spotted , and people do speak to you, loads of them do, not in a '"hello how are you good how are you good, thats good' kind of way, most of what we got was humour/ real conversation/ helpful stuff really.

Biggest downside, property prices, and the brit media which needs to move abroad for a few years then stop whinging about what is often exactly the same overseas. Hilarious series running on moving to australia tho, glossed up to the max, had us wanting tho throw the flaming TV out the window
Hi, glad you enjoyed your time back home, thanks for the update, good to know everythings Ok back home. How long before you are back there for good? I am so missing good old Yorkshire, me mum sent me a calendar of Yorkshire so I can tick off the days till we get there, don't know when that will be but before Christmas that's for sure not doing another one here like billy no mates.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:37 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely to hear it! Hope you had a good trip - didn't know you were going again this year - you only went this time last year!!!

Glad it is not "all hoodies and chavs" everywhere.

I'm going back for a visit in May hopefully - we all know it isn't perfect - but it's home.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - glad you enjoyed your time at home. I too went back for 3 weeks over the Christmas period and totally agree with you. Whilst there are chavs and hoodies around, they are not all happy slapping and mugging people - they are mostly just being kids wandering around in groups like we used to do.

Shops assistants were very friendly - if you take the time to chat to them, they respond likewise and some even end up telling you their life story. I waited for a bus one night and chav and hoodies all stood back for and old gent to get on before them. People say excuse me and thank you - and they smiled! I found food much cheaper and far far more choice. The only thing that I missed was the sunshine - it was very mild temperatures but I didn't like that grey cloud! Still can't have everything I suppose and it was the middle of winter.

Oh well two weeks to go, then we are off back for good
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Lovely to hear it! Hope you had a good trip - didn't know you were going again this year - you only went this time last year!!!

Glad it is not "all hoodies and chavs" everywhere.

I'm going back for a visit in May hopefully - we all know it isn't perfect - but it's home.

Only reason we went twice was terminally ill parent, no way on the planet we could normally go back that often, the families airfares alone for the two trips cost us $19,000
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Great post - glad you enjoyed your time at home. I too went back for 3 weeks over the Christmas period and totally agree with you. Whilst there are chavs and hoodies around, they are not all happy slapping and mugging people - they are mostly just being kids wandering around in groups like we used to do.

Shops assistants were very friendly - if you take the time to chat to them, they respond likewise and some even end up telling you their life story. I waited for a bus one night and chav and hoodies all stood back for and old gent to get on before them. People say excuse me and thank you - and they smiled! I found food much cheaper and far far more choice. The only thing that I missed was the sunshine - it was very mild temperatures but I didn't like that grey cloud! Still can't have everything I suppose and it was the middle of winter.

Oh well two weeks to go, then we are off back for good
Its not that bad is it, we saw a bit of sun, a couple of glorious days in york, we even went to the beach Scarborough but the coastline thats beautiful, stunning up there, afraid its given me the moving back bug again, not helped by the 2 youngest wanting to be back there NOW, partners not impressed we just bought and built acerage here zzzzzzzz, mind you hes been checking out yorkshire estate agents after I am in bed ...........
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice

Every country is going to have it's good and bad parts for sure, so it's just a matter of where you are.
Sounds like you are in Melbourne? Can you tell me the suburb your in for reference of comparison with Yorkshire?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:14 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that bad is it, we saw a bit of sun, a couple of glorious days in york, we even went to the beach Scarborough but the coastline thats beautiful, stunning up there, afraid its given me the moving back bug again, not helped by the 2 youngest wanting to be back there NOW, partners not impressed we just bought and built acerage here zzzzzzzz, mind you hes been checking out yorkshire estate agents after I am in bed ...........
It's nowhere near as bad as some folk try to make out. Scarborough is one of my favourite places and I can't wait to see it again. Had many childhood holidays there. Robin Hood's Bay too! Oh am getting giddy now
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:27 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LouiseD
It's nowhere near as bad as some folk try to make out. Scarborough is one of my favourite places and I can't wait to see it again. Had many childhood holidays there. Robin Hood's Bay too! Oh am getting giddy now
It's on my list of places to visit WHEN we go home. My SIL goes there all the time in summer and loves it.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dizzillusioned
It's on my list of places to visit WHEN we go home. My SIL goes there all the time in summer and loves it.
I wanna go home!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back to the best place in UK to live. Only 20 miles (ish from York). Has been a lovely Winter so far, got first coat of snow this evening, is lovely! Will miss it when I bugger off to Melbourne lol. Don't have to pay to park everywhere, is free disc parking in lots of areas outside York!
I think we'll all miss more than we think we will once gone! But it's what we want to do and we have a very good idea of what we're letting ourselves in for!
Wanted down under hmmm won't comment, apart from biggest pile of '!$£&*%$£ I've seen in a long time, but lots of nice Aussie scenery though! (not sure if it can top what I can see where I'm living now though, hills look lovely topped in lovely crisp white snow)
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Welcome back to the best place in UK to live. Only 20 miles (ish from York). Has been a lovely Winter so far, got first coat of snow this evening, is lovely! Will miss it when I bugger off to Melbourne lol. Don't have to pay to park everywhere, is free disc parking in lots of areas outside York!
I think we'll all miss more than we think we will once gone! But it's what we want to do and we have a very good idea of what we're letting ourselves in for!
Wanted down under hmmm won't comment, apart from biggest pile of '!$£&*%$£ I've seen in a long time, but lots of nice Aussie scenery though! (not sure if it can top what I can see where I'm living now though, hills look lovely topped in lovely crisp white snow)

Have you any particular reason for leaving York, we were only in that part of the country 2 weeks but I would seriously consider living there, (matter of 5 family members all agreeing pending of course ). My main mission now is to find out every possible downside to York, I dont really want the glossy version, the gritty version is what one needs when making these decisions. Any comments appreciated if anyone has some time, thanks.

Glad we didnt see York with snow that would be stunning might have been swayed to do a Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whoooooooooooooooooo just spent 2 weeks in utopia post
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Jad

So glad you had a fab time over there. You lucky thing.

Yorkshire is a place where my Mum is spending a lot of time at the moment. She lives in Herefordshire but her chap is up north. She reckons it's more beautiful than Herefordshire...and that's stunning! She reckons the villages and small towns round there are idyllic and still traditionally English. York is lovely but very expensive to live. There are many other lovely places to live in north Yorkshire though. Try looking a little further out.

I hope all of your family can make that huge joint decision. Catch them now whilst the UK, in all it's wonderful glory, is still fresh in their minds. Just flog up, and go!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Have you any particular reason for leaving York, we were only in that part of the country 2 weeks but I would seriously consider living there, (matter of 5 family members all agreeing pending of course ). My main mission now is to find out every possible downside to York, I dont really want the glossy version, the gritty version is what one needs when making these decisions. Any comments appreciated if anyone has some time, thanks.

Glad we didnt see York with snow that would be stunning might have been swayed to do a Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whoooooooooooooooooo just spent 2 weeks in utopia post
Have wanted to move to Aus for years and years, want to experience something different! Have loads of family there and more in process of getting there, would say in next 5 to 10 years will have no family left in England! So the need to move is very apparent! Also not on property ladder here, and we can afford to get onto it in Melbourne area we want to live in.

Not in york, but is only 20/25 mins away in car or 15/20 mins by train!

Downsides to York,
Traffic congestion at certain times of day is an issue!
Has variable weather patterns (this said I love snow, rain and sunshine)
Housing in certain areas extortionate
Some areas to be avoided, not all picture postcard
Some people to be avoided (but the same everywhere)
A bit far from the coast for my liking
Oh some areas flood very badly
Am struggling now

On the plus side, can be in the most wonderful countryside once out of the city!
Great nightlife
Great shopping
Lively place to live always something to do
Some wonderful people live there
Very good employment prospects
Wonderful historic buildings/areas in the city
Is a cool place to be & live in

Think I'm one of the odd ones out, don't hate UK, I love it, I just want something different, have spent time in Aus and enjoyed it for what it was, don't have massive expectations! I'm very sure I'll love Aus just as much once settled, is just something I have to do or will sit back one day and think why didn't I try it!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a great trip nice post,I go back every year live in the states and a few years ago we took a friend with us,after the 2 weeks was over he said
" I can not figure out what on earth made you leave this beautiful place for life in the states"
He said the people are nicer the scenery is so beautiful and would you believe it he said the weather is nicer (not so hot).I will never forget those words he said.
I hate it here with a passion now but the wife and kids don't want to live in the UK ....what am I to do???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.