Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

Hi all, just got back from Glasgow was staying there for the last few weeks for the first time since I was 12 years old. The last time I recall I couldn't wait to get back to Canada, didn't care about seeing anything, doing anything. This time was completely different, its like I fell in love for the first time and every single day was up and ready to explore. The day I left was really emotional for me, I stood in the airport staring out the window and all I could think about was coming back, I figured the heavy emotions I was feeling would pass but it has only gotten worse.

I've pretty much become completely disconnected from Canadian culture, since getting back I watch Filmon.com (which streams live UK tv) I've only been eating foods that I brought back, or foods that replicate what I was eating here. Its literally all I can think about - almost to the point of obsession.

Am I the only one who has gotten like this after a trip back home ? Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist ? Lmao

I'm working towards a nice nest egg so that I can go back permanently, and have been doing so for the last while. But I'm feeling more and more like reaching that goal can't come soon enough, I really can't stand it here in Canada anymore.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went back for two weeks, can't stop thinking about it

I felt like that after my first trip home from living on the states. I think I just missed friends and family more than I had realized. I did in fact move back to the U.K. A couple of years after that, stayed for 3 years then left again.
Lived for 4 years in Germany and have now been living in Texas for 19 years. I still love all things British, watch Netflix for British shows and my kids love to learn about British history.
I will always consider myself as British but my life is very much as an American now.

My mum, stepdad and my sister and her family all moved to Texas after I got here so I suppose that helps to not feel so homesick.
My sister and myself are heading to the U.K. May 5th, our younger sister passed away and we are going home to take care of her cremation ( Mum is too sick to travel). I still have a brother in Suffolk, and his family....also 2 of my sisters grown children and families live there. I am imagining this visit will be very emotional and hear tugging, but as my own children and OH are staying in Texas I will be more than anxious to get back to them.

I think if the feelings of you wanting to go back continue to linger then that's something to seriously consider, maybe go for an extended holiday and see how you feel about long term day to day living rather than a touristy trip.

I was born in Glasgow, moved to England aged 7... we always went back to Scotland for summer holidays. As an adult I went back to Glasgow to visit family and I realized that my childhood memories were certainly more appealing than the real thing. I had lived in Arden....if your not familiar with it a quick google will fill you in....and it's really a dump that I was very glad that my parents had moved us away from.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britexmom
I felt like that after my first trip home from living on the states. I think I just missed friends and family more than I had realized. I did in fact move back to the U.K. A couple of years after that, stayed for 3 years then left again.
Lived for 4 years in Germany and have now been living in Texas for 19 years. I still love all things British, watch Netflix for British shows and my kids love to learn about British history.
I will always consider myself as British but my life is very much as an American now.

My mum, stepdad and my sister and her family all moved to Texas after I got here so I suppose that helps to not feel so homesick.
My sister and myself are heading to the U.K. May 5th, our younger sister passed away and we are going home to take care of her cremation ( Mum is too sick to travel). I still have a brother in Suffolk, and his family....also 2 of my sisters grown children and families live there. I am imagining this visit will be very emotional and hear tugging, but as my own children and OH are staying in Texas I will be more than anxious to get back to them.

I think if the feelings of you wanting to go back continue to linger then that's something to seriously consider, maybe go for an extended holiday and see how you feel about long term day to day living rather than a touristy trip.

I was born in Glasgow, moved to England aged 7... we always went back to Scotland for summer holidays. As an adult I went back to Glasgow to visit family and I realized that my childhood memories were certainly more appealing than the real thing. I had lived in Arden....if your not familiar with it a quick google will fill you in....and it's really a dump that I was very glad that my parents had moved us away from.
Thanks for your comment, my next step is to go back for an extended period of time, likely permanently, its just a matter of saving up now.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Hi all, just got back from Glasgow was staying there for the last few weeks for the first time since I was 12 years old. The last time I recall I couldn't wait to get back to Canada, didn't care about seeing anything, doing anything. This time was completely different, its like I fell in love for the first time and every single day was up and ready to explore. The day I left was really emotional for me, I stood in the airport staring out the window and all I could think about was coming back, I figured the heavy emotions I was feeling would pass but it has only gotten worse.

I've pretty much become completely disconnected from Canadian culture, since getting back I watch Filmon.com (which streams live UK tv) I've only been eating foods that I brought back, or foods that replicate what I was eating here. Its literally all I can think about - almost to the point of obsession.

Am I the only one who has gotten like this after a trip back home ? Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist ? Lmao

I'm working towards a nice nest egg so that I can go back permanently, and have been doing so for the last while. But I'm feeling more and more like reaching that goal can't come soon enough, I really can't stand it here in Canada anymore.
I've lived in New Zealand for 23 years (I'm now 30) and I feel much the same as you. I've never been back, but so, so often I've thought of Britain, and how out of place I feel here. At the beginning of the year, I decided to get serious about moving back permanently, and after a lot of scrimping and saving I found a cheap flight for under $900. That only gives me 6 months to save, find a full-time job here and hopefully one there, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If you feel that pull, that insistent desire to be in the UK, I say do the same save up and just go.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

A week in Glasgow last year sent me back to Canada giving thanks that I could! But that's just me. Hope you find what you need.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

With all the political turmoil in the UK right now it's really nice to hear some people appreciate it.
Great country. We're just experiencing a blip. 😄👍
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think that our lives are a series of phases. This may be that you are simply ready for moving on and the next phase of your life. That doesn't have to mean location although in your case it does.

Go with your gut. It will be right for you. Even if after a while you want to change again then you can .
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
With all the political turmoil in the UK right now it's really nice to hear some people appreciate it.
Great country. We're just experiencing a blip. 😄👍
A blip - that has to be understatement of the year!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't stand it here in Canada anymore.
There is nothing wrong with Canada its a quite boring country, which is the best type of country to live in.

Brexit, Scottish independence and a Scottish government with a single agenda is a place where you do not want to be.

Your discontentment is not with the country, its with your life. Maybe that is where you need to make the changes.

I have lived in the UK for over 30 years and Canada for over 25 years and experienced what both countries have to offer.
I visit the UK at least once a year, but I am always glad to return to Canada.
I live in the GTA and enjoy the big city feeling. Maybe you need to live in the GTA.

Last edited by geoff52; Apr 21st 2017 at 5:39 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geoff52
There is nothing wrong with Canada its a quite boring country, which is the best type of country to live in.

Brexit, Scottish independence and a Scottish government with a single agenda is a place where you do not want to be.

Your discontentment is not with the country, its with your life. Maybe that is where you need to make the changes.

I have lived in the UK for over 30 years and Canada for over 25 years and experienced what both countries have to offer.
I visit the UK at least once a year, but I am always glad to return to Canada.
I live in the GTA and enjoy the big city feeling. Maybe you need to live in the GTA.
Cheers for your feedback but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm not happy with. I lived in Toronto for a while, couldn't stand it, here's my bones that I have to pick with this place:

- Astronomically high cost of living (utilities, groceries, rents, etc)
- Poor transit infrastructure (at least in Southern Ontario)
- Affordable housing shortage
- Lack of relevant employment opportunities
- No family (apart from a sister who I barely speak to, all of my family is in the central belt of Scotland)

And more important of all, I just need a change, I was brought here against my own will (I was too young to have an opinion) and I feel like I should go back to where I'm from. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but I'd hate to look back and say "I should have done that". If you don't take a chance, how will you ever know ?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Cheers for your feedback but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm not happy with. I lived in Toronto for a while, couldn't stand it, here's my bones that I have to pick with this place:

- No family (apart from a sister who I barely speak to, all of my family is in the central belt of Scotland)

And more important of all, I just need a change, I was brought here against my own will (I was too young to have an opinion) and I feel like I should go back to where I'm from. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but I'd hate to look back and say "I should have done that". If you don't take a chance, how will you ever know ?
I'm in the same boat (sort of). My dad decided to take me & my sister to the other side of the world because he wanted out of Britain, never bothering to explain it to us or ask our opinions. And while I acknowledge it probably is to thank for allowing me to reach my full potential, and that NZ is a wonderful country etc. The fact remains, Britain still feels like home, and I care about it. I want to go there and try and fix it, not run away from it. At the very least if it's too much and 23 years away is too long to have been away, at least I can say that I gave it a shot.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not have the information that you outlined. Its always difficult to give advice when you dont have the relevant facts.
When offering advice to people who want to move to another country the issue that needs to be addressed is job. Lets say you are Canadian/UK citizen. then look for a job first in Scotland maybe if want to be close to your family. You need a job in the UK that your happy doing.
I only moved to Canada After a got I job, and it was my employer who arranged the immigration.
So address the issue of job in the UK, then other things will fall into place, especially if have relatives in UK.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
I'm in the same boat (sort of). My dad decided to take me & my sister to the other side of the world because he wanted out of Britain, never bothering to explain it to us or ask our opinions. And while I acknowledge it probably is to thank for allowing me to reach my full potential, and that NZ is a wonderful country etc. The fact remains, Britain still feels like home, and I care about it. I want to go there and try and fix it, not run away from it. At the very least if it's too much and 23 years away is too long to have been away, at least I can say that I gave it a shot.
Exactly, I've been to New Zealand before and loved it, but not the same way I feel about the UK. Life is all about taking risks, I'd rather have something blow up in my face and say "well now I know this isn't for me" than settle with where I am and have a life of regret down the road.

Originally Posted by geoff52
I did not have the information that you outlined. Its always difficult to give advice when you dont have the relevant facts.
When offering advice to people who want to move to another country the issue that needs to be addressed is job. Lets say you are Canadian/UK citizen. then look for a job first in Scotland maybe if want to be close to your family. You need a job in the UK that your happy doing.
I only moved to Canada After a got I job, and it was my employer who arranged the immigration.
So address the issue of job in the UK, then other things will fall into place, especially if have relatives in UK.
Yeah the job will be the toughest part, I have some friends that might be able to sort me out with something to get me on my feet but it wouldn't be a permanent career choice by any means
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
A blip - that has to be understatement of the year!
My thoughts exactly.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

here's my bones that I have to pick with this place:

- Affordable housing
- No family
Couldnt agree more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.