Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Well, it's finally happened....

Well, it's finally happened....

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:35 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well, it's finally happened....

congratulations!!!

you next nu-shooz!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:51 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!! How long a settlement have you got??
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is the offer legally binding in Australia or is it the same system as in England & Wales?

I would hate for you to get your hopes up now and then feel like crap when the offer is retracted in a few months Been there done that

Fingers crossed
Offers are subject to a cooling off period, and the length of that period varies from state to state. Anytime in the cooling off period the buyer can cancel the contract without having to give a reason.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
Offers are subject to a cooling off period, and the length of that period varies from state to state. Anytime in the cooling off period the buyer can cancel the contract without having to give a reason.
No legal cooling off in WA. You could have it written into the offer if both parties agreed.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:14 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey I'm so delighted for you. I haven't been on BE for some time now - too busy enjoying life here so thought I'd check out where everyone is up to and lo and behold it's the day that you are celebrating!!

Well done and congratulations - I'm sure that everything will go wonderfully well for you and good on you for being true to your heart and making this happen.

At the time, it can often be difficult because people think that you are mad to trade "lovely sunny Oz" for "hellhole Britain" but I still don't have a minute's regret about returing home and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to Oz - for us it was absolutely the right thing to do. I'm sure that it will be for you too.

Good luck with the move and enjoy it - you deserve it.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We've only gone and accepted an offer on our house

I've been dreaming about this moment for years, I have even visualised exactly how I would feel, and I feel nothing like I thought I would

I just feel sick!

Lots of things to think about now. Have to do the right thing by all of us.

To everyone out there trying to sell a house.....good luck, it'll happen
Ahhh BIG FAT HAIRY CONGRATULATIONS Tracey - so pleased for you

Was just thinking of u earlier as I was driving round the valleys and lanes of Ottery way - its looking glorious and all waiting for you...........you can see autumn/spring etc - its gr8
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

At the time, it can often be difficult because people think that you are mad to trade "lovely sunny Oz" for "hellhole Britain" but I still don't have a minute's regret about returing home and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to Oz - for us it was absolutely the right thing to do. I'm sure that it will be for you too.

Good luck with the move and enjoy it - you deserve it.[/QUOTE]

2nd all of that
Very glad to be back, even when some friends texted the other day saying they were walking to the lighthouse at Byron to see the whales. Even then, still glad to be here

glad alls good Louise

Tracey - enjoy the last few months
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:52 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy to hear your news, Tracey!!! I can relate to the nerves. Excitement. Nerves. Excitement. Nerves. EXCITEMENT!!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:34 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello me old mates!! Thank you for your good wishes

Haven't been ignoring you all, just our 'puter knackered up and in the repair shop (just when I have HUGE assignments due for uni ) so I'm at uni now, and I know I should be working but I missed my B.E buds.

O.k, story so far: the people buying our house are Brits and they have been here a year. They are renting in our suburb. They are also very willing to rent our house back to us until we go. So, we'll complete on the 1st Sept and leave Aus somehwre in mid October. We've all signed the initial papers, and now it's all subject to finance, we'll sign the "Can't back out now" forms on the 28th July when finance formally approved.

How do I feel? Sick, scared, constantly asking myself if I've gone completely mental to give up our safe and secure lifestyle and move our happy kids back to a place they can't remember? Peeps keep telling me I'll be back within a year (sheesh, thanks for the support eh?) and that we must be mad to go back to that "Slum" when we have soooooooo much here.

Hubby o.k about it all, just very quiet. I reckon reality has hit home for him, and I feel very sad to see him so thoughtful and worried.

Kids are fine and wanting a rabbit when we get home! Eldest got a bit upset about leaving his mates, but a chat and a cuddle and the promise of said rabbit made him feel better

I have spoken to Ottery S.M Primary School and there are no places for our eldest at the moment (eek) so I don't quite know what we'll do. But the lady I spoke to was so lovely, told me that she'd lived in the area all of her life and it was the best place on earth to live! She also said that there is another family in the village that have not long returned from Australia and they've settled in fine (Gives me hope!). Oh, and I keep looking for rental properties in the area....nothing comes up that's suitable (another eek). Must be mad mustn't I?

Very, very scared, worried that it'll all go tits up and pear shaped and it'll all be my fault, but trying my hardest to stay positive, focused and I keep repeating my mantra "Take the easy route and stay here, it'll be the hardest in the end. Take the hardest route now and go home, it'll turn out to be the best in the end."

I CAN DO THIS
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Haven't been ignoring you all, just our 'puter knackered up and in the repair shop (just when I have HUGE assignments due for uni ) so I'm at uni now, and I know I should be working but I missed my B.E buds.

O.k, story so far: the people buying our house are Brits and they have been here a year. They are renting in our suburb. They are also very willing to rent our house back to us until we go. So, we'll complete on the 1st Sept and leave Aus somehwre in mid October. We've all signed the initial papers, and now it's all subject to finance, we'll sign the "Can't back out now" forms on the 28th July when finance formally approved.

How do I feel? Sick, scared, constantly asking myself if I've gone completely mental to give up our safe and secure lifestyle and move our happy kids back to a place they can't remember? Peeps keep telling me I'll be back within a year (sheesh, thanks for the support eh?) and that we must be mad to go back to that "Slum" when we have soooooooo much here.

Hubby o.k about it all, just very quiet. I reckon reality has hit home for him, and I feel very sad to see him so thoughtful and worried.

Kids are fine and wanting a rabbit when we get home! Eldest got a bit upset about leaving his mates, but a chat and a cuddle and the promise of said rabbit made him feel better

I have spoken to Ottery S.M Primary School and there are no places for our eldest at the moment (eek) so I don't quite know what we'll do. But the lady I spoke to was so lovely, told me that she'd lived in the area all of her life and it was the best place on earth to live! She also said that there is another family in the village that have not long returned from Australia and they've settled in fine (Gives me hope!). Oh, and I keep looking for rental properties in the area....nothing comes up that's suitable (another eek). Must be mad mustn't I?

Very, very scared, worried that it'll all go tits up and pear shaped and it'll all be my fault, but trying my hardest to stay positive, focused and I keep repeating my mantra "Take the easy route and stay here, it'll be the hardest in the end. Take the hardest route now and go home, it'll turn out to be the best in the end."

I CAN DO THIS
You can do it Tracey

I had a viewing this morning. Not even got house back up for sale yet, no board, not on the net...but rep knew this couple would love my house so asked if he could be premature with a viewing. She loved it and is coming back for second viewing with hubby tomorrow. Nothing might become of it, but can you imagine selling without all the hassles of advertising, home opens etc..bliss!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You can do it Tracey

I had a viewing this morning. Not even got house back up for sale yet, no board, not on the net...but rep knew this couple would love my house so asked if he could be premature with a viewing. She loved it and is coming back for second viewing with hubby tomorrow. Nothing might become of it, but can you imagine selling without all the hassles of advertising, home opens etc..bliss!!!
Fingers and toes crossed
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers and toes crossed
Course you can chuck. If you can put up with a class full of screaming brats day in day out, you can do anything

You too Nu Shooz with your MIL ;-)
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps keep telling me I'll be back within a year (sheesh, thanks for the support eh?) and that we must be mad to go back to that "Slum" when we have soooooooo much here.
Hi Tracy,

Good news on the house, many congratulations.

People who say you'll be back in Perth within a year have no real clue but need to say that to hide their insecurity and to justify their own decisions to stay. Best ignored and dismissed with a sympathetic laugh.

I've been back in England since April and it's certainly not a bad place to be. You have to choose your area well, as you have done. The UK is simply a far more interesting place to be, in my opinion, and it just feels very right to me, in all the ways that Perth never quite could.

The downsides are numerous and we all know about them, but there are many, many upsides. For me the decision to come back at this time was definitely the right one, although the move has been very stressful and we still have some issues to sort out (mainly due to our specific family circumstances).

Be prepared for the guilt and for surprises. Of my three children, the two who wanted to give England a go now want to go back to Australia, and the one who wanted to live in Japan or Australia but not England seems to love it here. My wife prefers Perth but is putting on a brave face and hanging in like a trooper.

We're in the Cotswolds, by the way, so I didn't steal the last school places in Ottery! It really is beautiful around here, and as far as I can tell from driving around the country so far, much of it looks and feels like the unwrecked England that I used to dream about from Perth. Much of it doesn't, but you just try not to go to those places too often!

All the best,

Chris
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

I CAN DO THIS
Hi Tracey

Knew you were coming our way, Ottery St Mary is a lovely town - Devon - the best place in the world to live. We've been in Ivybridge 9 weeks now and its THE BEST thing we ever did, my 8 year old absolutely loves school, Louise my wife and best mate is happier than she could ever have imagined (she didn't want to leave Oz, now she's looking for houses to buy).

On the slum jibe - Some areas of UK are grim shitholes as are some areas of Australia - however Ottery St Mary, Devon cannot ever be descibed as a slum by any stretch of the imagination! On schools don't panic, if you live in the catchment they can't refuse you, only try to encourage you towards another one.

Don't regret what you're doing just do it, its what you always wanted and is the best thing for you and your family. My advice don't read the UK sensationalist press with all their negative stuff, nor listen to bitter ex-pats who are determined to paint a gloomy picture for their own selfish reasons (or perhaps they come from a Dewsbury, Barking or Toxteth then I understand their reasoning!). Embrace the adventure and enjoy what you're about to do - the exchange rate is great and house prices are plummeting over here - all omens I reckon!

Chin up you're making the best decision it's great here! Takes living in Oz to appreciate how wonderfully fulfilling this place is. Your family will thank you in the long run.... cheers Stu
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Exile
Hi Tracy,

Good news on the house, many congratulations.

People who say you'll be back in Perth within a year have no real clue but need to say that to hide their insecurity and to justify their own decisions to stay. Best ignored and dismissed with a sympathetic laugh.

I've been back in England since April and it's certainly not a bad place to be. You have to choose your area well, as you have done. The UK is simply a far more interesting place to be, in my opinion, and it just feels very right to me, in all the ways that Perth never quite could.

The downsides are numerous and we all know about them, but there are many, many upsides. For me the decision to come back at this time was definitely the right one, although the move has been very stressful and we still have some issues to sort out (mainly due to our specific family circumstances).

Be prepared for the guilt and for surprises. Of my three children, the two who wanted to give England a go now want to go back to Australia, and the one who wanted to live in Japan or Australia but not England seems to love it here. My wife prefers Perth but is putting on a brave face and hanging in like a trooper.

We're in the Cotswolds, by the way, so I didn't steal the last school places in Ottery! It really is beautiful around here, and as far as I can tell from driving around the country so far, much of it looks and feels like the unwrecked England that I used to dream about from Perth. Much of it doesn't, but you just try not to go to those places too often!

All the best,

Chris
Hello you! I was wondering how you were doing back there. So, it's not you in Ottery then? I did wonder.

I hope the wife and two kids start to settle soon as it must be a guilt trip for you if they're not.

Take care and I hope everything keeps improving for you

Originally Posted by sdunx
Hi Tracey

Knew you were coming our way, Ottery St Mary is a lovely town - Devon - the best place in the world to live. We've been in Ivybridge 9 weeks now and its THE BEST thing we ever did, my 8 year old absolutely loves school, Louise my wife and best mate is happier than she could ever have imagined (she didn't want to leave Oz, now she's looking for houses to buy).

On the slum jibe - Some areas of UK are grim shitholes as are some areas of Australia - however Ottery St Mary, Devon cannot ever be descibed as a slum by any stretch of the imagination! On schools don't panic, if you live in the catchment they can't refuse you, only try to encourage you towards another one.

Don't regret what you're doing just do it, its what you always wanted and is the best thing for you and your family. My advice don't read the UK sensationalist press with all their negative stuff, nor listen to bitter ex-pats who are determined to paint a gloomy picture for their own selfish reasons (or perhaps they come from a Dewsbury, Barking or Toxteth then I understand their reasoning!). Embrace the adventure and enjoy what you're about to do - the exchange rate is great and house prices are plummeting over here - all omens I reckon!

Chin up you're making the best decision it's great here! Takes living in Oz to appreciate how wonderfully fulfilling this place is. Your family will thank you in the long run.... cheers Stu
Hi Stu

I needed this today. I've been awake half the night worrying about this move, constantly battling between "You're mental Tracy for doing this" and "I can't stay here forever" thoughts.

I am confused about the schools though because I've been told by O.S.M primary that they have no spaces and 4 kids on the waiting list. She reckons the D.E.T will place my son in another school and pay for the taxi to take him there. "Not on your nelly" say I! Still waiting back for an e-mail from D.E.T, so we'll see.

I am so glad that it's all working out for you back home. Just a question though, what high school will your son go to? The reason why we've chosen Ottery is because of The Kings School which has a fantastic rep and SAT results.

Take care and thanx for the 'pick me up' today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.