Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wedding in the UK question

Wedding in the UK question

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:56 am
Just Joined

damnbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wedding in the UK question

I'm not sure what category I should be posting in - but if anyone has any advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it...

I'm UK and USA dual citizen, living in the states for 10+ years. I'm engaged to an Aussie (temporarily in the states) and we plan to move to Australia next year. We'd like to get married in England so at least my family can be there, but I'm rather confused on these residency requirements to apply for a marriage license (based on my UK citizenship), and if my fiance would have to enter on a special visa to get married even if we weren't planning on staying in the country.

Have only had to think about these types of questions for the US before, so learning what is feasible in the UK is not something I really know how to go about researching.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding in the UK question

Google the county in which you plan to get married, they'll tell you what you need...though I think it's something along the lines of being there for 6 weeks before getting a marriage license? can't remember exactly.

There is a fiance visa, but as you don't intend to seek residence in the UK, I don't think you'd need it...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by damnbrit
I'm not sure what category I should be posting in - but if anyone has any advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it...

I'm UK and USA dual citizen, living in the states for 10+ years. I'm engaged to an Aussie (temporarily in the states) and we plan to move to Australia next year. We'd like to get married in England so at least my family can be there, but I'm rather confused on these residency requirements to apply for a marriage license (based on my UK citizenship), and if my fiance would have to enter on a special visa to get married even if we weren't planning on staying in the country.

Have only had to think about these types of questions for the US before, so learning what is feasible in the UK is not something I really know how to go about researching.

Thanks!
Don't actually get married. You can renew your vows in front of your family and friends and bypass all of the waiting and obscure rules. You can ask them to make it seem just like the real thing. That's what I did and nobody was any the wiser
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:56 am
learner

Seebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really niceSeebs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Google the county in which you plan to get married, they'll tell you what you need...though I think it's something along the lines of being there for 6 weeks before getting a marriage license? can't remember exactly.

There is a fiance visa, but as you don't intend to seek residence in the UK, I don't think you'd need it...
Try britainusa.com and look at the marriage-visit visa. It only means you can marry in the UK, not settle.

I think the requirement is six days not weeks before you can get a licence. It should say on the website anyway.