We made it!

Old May 25th 2012, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Default We made it!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to send an update to let you all know we made it. Been 'stateside' 12 days and picked up our social security numbers this morning. No queuing, in and out of the SS office in 10 minutes!
Loving Michigan weather so far and the kids are very happy we are staying in a condo with a swimming pool in the complex!
Picking up lease cars on Tuesday which is also the day our air shipment is delivered.
Now just have to find a rental apartment/town house for the next year and a school to go with it and we'll be sorted!

Oh, managed to fit in a trip to Urgent Care for my daughter to get a course of antibiotics which was fun - trying to explain that we had only just arrived and our medical insurance wasn't set up because we didn't have social security through - but they were an 'in network' provider and the insurance would be back dated (once it is active), so we should be OK to access care. The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???

Fun fun fun
Old May 26th 2012, 12:13 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it!

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???
You are an alien over here! And I guess it depends on how strong your Geordie accent is...
Old May 26th 2012, 12:30 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to send an update to let you all know we made it. Been 'stateside' 12 days and picked up our social security numbers this morning. No queuing, in and out of the SS office in 10 minutes!
Loving Michigan weather so far and the kids are very happy we are staying in a condo with a swimming pool in the complex!
Picking up lease cars on Tuesday which is also the day our air shipment is delivered.
Now just have to find a rental apartment/town house for the next year and a school to go with it and we'll be sorted!

Oh, managed to fit in a trip to Urgent Care for my daughter to get a course of antibiotics which was fun - trying to explain that we had only just arrived and our medical insurance wasn't set up because we didn't have social security through - but they were an 'in network' provider and the insurance would be back dated (once it is active), so we should be OK to access care. The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???

Fun fun fun

Whereabouts in Michigan are you?

Forgot to mention - find the school before you find the house. State schools have fairly strict geographic boundaries around their attendance areas, and you can get stuck in a terrible school based on where you live.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 26th 2012 at 12:34 am.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

We are in Troy at the minute, but looking to move up to Rochester Hills. I am trying to get an appointment at a elementary school that ranks excellent on the Internet school sites. There is a good rental village in their catchment and a couple of really nice sub in their catchment as well. Trying to work out a nice area and a nice school and hope nice rental there as well!
Old May 26th 2012, 12:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Troy at the minute, but looking to move up to Rochester Hills. I am trying to get an appointment at a elementary school that ranks excellent on the Internet school sites. There is a good rental village in their catchment and a couple of really nice sub in their catchment as well. Trying to work out a nice area and a nice school and hope nice rental there as well!
Sounds like a plan.

Hope you brought lots of winter clothes.
Old May 26th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
You are an alien over here! And I guess it depends on how strong your Geordie accent is...
You have a point there. I didn't think it was that strong, but I seem to have a probably pronouncing my G sound - which doesn't help when trying to spell out my email address and my name is Gill!!!
Must practice the Queen's English
Old May 26th 2012, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sounds like a plan.

Hope you brought lots of winter clothes.
Oh yes, it's all in the shipment!!! Had to go out and by the kids new summer stuff when we got here, didn't need any last year in England!!!
Old May 26th 2012, 12:55 am

Oh yes, it's all in the shipment!!! Had to go out and by the kids new summer stuff when we got here, didn't need any last year in England!!!

Welcome to the Midwest - land of temperature extremes.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Congratulations on moving to the US. I hope your move went with ease.
Old May 27th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Welcome to Oakland County!

I am not far from you, in Bloomfield Hills, so feel free to drop me a PM if there's anything you need some help with, or want to meet up to get an idea of things.