Wikiposts

We Love England!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:20 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Love England!

Originally Posted by Bevm
True, but your suggestions did seem weird to me. Far better to try a move to Halifax, IMO, which is a great small city with lots of good features. Much easier and cheaper than moving to TO or Van, too.

Have you ever spent time in Halifax? Despite your liking for big cities, I think you'd like it quite a bit.

BTW, just a comment about countryside from another of your posts. You're right. It's so different here. No public footpaths through countryside, so country walking is always along roads, often with fast traffic zooming along now and then. Look what happened to Stephen King! (Yes, I know that was the US, but same system.)

You can live in a small country town in some places. Very nice. But still nowhere to walk except along the roads. There are more walking paths, bike paths, and parks in cities

You usually have to go a fair way out of a town to a wilderness park to hike, and that's not the same thing. Can be grand, but it's not the same. We have friends who live on a lot of land in NS -- all rough treed land, not agricultural -- and they built paths all over it. I asked why and they pointed out there was nowhere to walk except roads.

I'm not down on Canada at all. Been here 30 years, after all. But it's very different. People thinking about emigrating here need to grasp that. It's not England with a lot more space.

Bev
Weirdos normally do make weird suggestions.

By the way I do not have any undying love for big cities, just the fact that I find them extremely useful and practical to live near. If I was living in Halifax I may well find it a nice place to live, especially given the low cost of living there, kind of disappointing though that its public access to countryside is limited in much the same way as say Toronto this takes even more appeal away from Halifax if rural/small town living is your motivation for going there.

Disagree with the last point because it is England with a lot more space......You just have to go a lot further to find it.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Disagree with the last point because it is England with a lot more space......You just have to go a lot further to find it.
Canada is nothing like England. If recreating Little Britain is a person's aim, go to Benidorm.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:36 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLABoy
Very well explained it Jules. A+
I know more than 20 people that have moved to different countries and they all went straight to live in big cities of their new country. In regards to Canada, I know 4 people that went to live in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Again I think Jules explained it very well as why.
You have the new member syndrome................Your mind is yet to be corrupted and blurred by the angst driven types that frequent these forums, do all you can to resist them

On a more serious note, yes I totally agree with your assumption about me.

Back on topic though, Its kind of like someone coming to live in the UK and choosing an out of the way location say for example the west country, given the fact that its far from major cities and diversity and then assessing UK life on this. Whereas large cities like London or Birmingham would be far more reflective on what the UK has to offer.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dingbat
Canada is nothing like England. If recreating Little Britain is a person's aim, go to Benidorm.
Given that the Brits colonized it, the cultural differences are not so great that is my point. Also there is no shortage of space a second point.

Whereas Benidorm is totally different, in Benidorm we have a British ghetto that attracts a large amount of undesireables from the UK...........Canada is more selective on this or at least aims to be.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I know Dunroving everyone's experiences are individual and for some people, it just takes time to settle down after the initial culture shock. I wasn't taking exception to your reply at all - you weren't professing to be an expert - you were merely expressing your opinion based on your own experiences - to which you have every entitlement.

I just had to point out to JAJ that no-one can be an expert on other peoples lives - hell we can't even be an expert on our own lives otherwise we wouldn't all be posting on here

Hope all goes well for you too
Ain't that the truth.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Since moving to Canada it has really made us assess the possibilities for the rest of our working lives. Hubbie has been offered a plumbing lecturers job in just about any part of England that we fancy, with the bonus of being paid while going through teacher training, 50 days holiday and a final salary teachers pension, as oppose to a couple of years of taking plumbing/gas licences and building things up in Canada and 2 poxy weeks off and not much of a pension to speak of, this plus lots of other reasons we have discovered are not so good, has made us come to the conclusion that overall a move back to the UK is best for us.

A previous poster mentioned that there are 900,000 in the queue for PR, well we were part of that figure and waited our 3 years before we were allowed to come to Canada, so I feel that we did our time, we have made a mistake, are human beings not allowed to make mistakes, we are pretty fed up that our dream is not what we thought it would be, and will be going back to the UK minus thousands of pounds and will have to start again, only this time we will appreciate things a whole lot more.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Since moving to Canada it has really made us assess the possibilities for the rest of our working lives. Hubbie has been offered a plumbing lecturers job in just about any part of England that we fancy, with the bonus of being paid while going through teacher training, 50 days holiday and a final salary teachers pension, as oppose to a couple of years of taking plumbing/gas licences and building things up in Canada and 2 poxy weeks off and not much of a pension to speak of, this plus lots of other reasons we have discovered are not so good, has made us come to the conclusion that overall a move back to the UK is best for us.

A previous poster mentioned that there are 900,000 in the queue for PR, well we were part of that figure and waited our 3 years before we were allowed to come to Canada, so I feel that we did our time, we have made a mistake, are human beings not allowed to make mistakes, we are pretty fed up that our dream is not what we thought it would be, and will be going back to the UK minus thousands of pounds and will have to start again, only this time we will appreciate things a whole lot more.
After reading that it's clear that it makes no sense for you guys to stay in Canada sounds like it's time to move on. That's exactly how we felt when we decided to leave. It's also a blessing that you both feel the same way my OH took a little convincing but now he wouldn't live in Canada again if you paid him, and he's Canadian
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:32 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

I was the poster that mentioned the 900.000 plus queue. The only thing I find puzzling is why did you leave the UK in the first place, if your husband is in such demand there work wise, or were things different before you left there?

By the way I think Canada`s immigration policy is the pits making people wait 3-4 years before letting them in, after all you not waiting to go to the Garden of Eden but a frozen wasteland.

Given the way house prices are falling in the UK, you may be surprised what you can buy there.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
After reading that it's clear that it makes no sense for you guys to stay in Canada sounds like it's time to move on. That's exactly how we felt when we decided to leave. It's also a blessing that you both feel the same way my OH took a little convincing but now he wouldn't live in Canada again if you paid him, and he's Canadian
Yes I suppose it is a blessing that we both feel it is for the best, must be a nightmare if opinions are divided!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I suppose it is a blessing that we both feel it is for the best, must be a nightmare if opinions are divided!
Yeah you just have to read through some of the thread on here to see what a difficult time some people have.

So when does the For Sale sign go up?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I was the poster that mentioned the 900.000 plus queue. The only thing I find puzzling is why did you leave the UK in the first place, if your husband is in such demand there work wise, or were things different before you left there?

By the way I think Canada`s immigration policy is the pits making people wait 3-4 years before letting them in, after all you not waiting to go to the Garden of Eden but a frozen wasteland.

Given the way house prices are falling in the UK, you may be surprised what you can buy there.
Work here hasn't been the problem, just frustrating for hubbie that he has to go through so much red tape to reach his full earning potential here, and as we have major doubts about staying it is now more a question of can he be bothered to sift through the red tape if we are not really happy and our lives in England would be better anyway.

The house prices at the moment would be a bonus upon our return, will be nice to be in a good position in this recession, as the last one was not so good for us.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:48 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Work here hasn't been the problem, just frustrating for hubbie that he has to go through so much red tape to reach his full earning potential here, and as we have major doubts about staying it is now more a question of can he be bothered to sift through the red tape if we are not really happy and our lives in England would be better anyway.

The house prices at the moment would be a bonus upon our return, will be nice to be in a good position in this recession, as the last one was not so good for us.
Think you`ll find that immigration=Red Tape and its the same the world over. I know of people that are emmigrating to the European Union and they complain about the red tape along with rules and regulations that are enforced upon them etc.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Yeah you just have to read through some of the thread on here to see what a difficult time some people have.

So when does the For Sale sign go up?
It is already up, had first viewing last week, apparently the comment was that it was not big enough, made me laugh as it has 3,500 square feet of space! Was going to go for sale by owner, but decided to go with a realtor, don't really know the system here, and I have heard that people usually expect you to drop the price if you a selling yourself, so will probably be for the best.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

It is already up, had first viewing last week, apparently the comment was that it was not big enough, made me laugh as it has 3,500 square feet of space! Was going to go for sale by owner, but decided to go with a realtor, don't really know the system here, and I have heard that people usually expect you to drop the price if you a selling yourself, so will probably be for the best.
When we were selling our place in Toronto my OH wanted to do the sale by owner thing but I convinced him that we had enough to organize without that hassle. It also helped that I worked for a Real Estate lawyer so I didn't have to pay the legal fees The good thing about the Canadian System is at least you know your closing date up front so it's easier to plan your escape
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Jules Europe;7156556]I was the poster that mentioned the 900.000 plus queue. The only thing I find puzzling is why did you leave the UK in the first place, if your husband is in such demand there work wise, or were things different before you left there?

We left the UK to follow our dream of living in Canada, being a plumbing/heating engineer makes no difference where you choose to live at the moment as there just aren't the people wanting to do the apprenticeship and going into the trade, hence the demand for plumbing lecturers all over England, just google plumbing lecturers jobs in England and you will see what I mean.

We would not have moved here in the first place if there was no work in his trade, it is now an issue of where it is better to live, and we feel that is now the UK after our experience in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.