We Love England!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Love England!

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Have delayed posting this, will get a barrage of "you haven't given it long enough", as have only been in Nova Scotia, Canada for under 5 months, but have realised quite quickly that we want to go home, lots of reasons why, bloody cold climate being one of them, know that England is in a recession right now, but we went through the last early nineties one and survived, have put canadian house on market and will come home asap!
You haven't given it long enough.

I don't want to beat up on you, I am sure you have had a difficult time of it, but the hassles and "culture shock" of the first few months can erroneously color ones judgement on a place, especially as you have yet to see a summer there. In 6 months time things could look very different for you when you have "bedded in".

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...70#post5841170

BTW I think the UK is a great place to live in. Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, thought I should give some other reasons other than bloody freezin!
Have given the next 20 years of our lives a complete, lets be honest look.
Cannot see us retiring here shovelling snow honest opinion, the Canadians we have met thus far bloody hate the winters, what hope do we have scenario!
Will post more after enevitable feedback...
It true Canadians complain about the weather non-stop I always thought we we're the worlds biggest moaners

Good on you for making the decision to come home and for giving it a go in the first place. I really hope you go home and remind everyone who moans about the UK that's it's really not such a bad place.

So are you going to post this in the Canada forum or are you not feeling that brave?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:29 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

It always fascinates me on this forum - and the Canada one - that those of us who make the decision to move back to the UK are expected, even bullied, into justifying ourselves to those who, apparently, have settled; whilst the decision to leave the UK for Canada, is usually hailed as a wise and sensible decision with no justification required.

There are situations that no amount of research can prepare you for until you've actually moved to another place, whether it be around the corner or around the world.

We all have different experiences and what suits one person may not necessarily suit another. May you all be happy with whatever you decide to do. My decision to move back was the best one I've made in a long time!

Last edited by Jay Bird; Jan 11th 2009 at 7:31 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, thought I should give some other reasons other than bloody freezin!
Have given the next 20 years of our lives a complete, lets be honest look.
Cannot see us retiring here shovelling snow honest opinion, the Canadians we have met thus far bloody hate the winters, what hope do we have scenario!
Will post more after enevitable feedback...
All the Canucks I know go to Florida in the winter!

You guys had the same timeline as us & I remember how efficient you were with going so I expect you will be as good coming back.

5 months can be a lifetime and as you go up the mountain you get a better view, a different perspective and can see the path better. Sometimes, the path is in a different direction to the one you expected!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:31 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Why did you choose Nova Scotia anyway and not somewhere decent like Ontario or BC?
<snorts> Oh dear. Matter of opinion I guess, but look at the return rate (just from this site) of people from BC in the last two years.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canzoet
What sort of statement is "somewhere decent like Ontario or BC"? How many years experience have you had in living in various parts of Canada? Nothing beats a know-all.
Its like somebody coming to the UK and living in say Cumbria or North Wales etc (nothing wrong with these places by the way) and after 5 months there saying that they are pissed off with the UK and want to return home. Perhaps had they gone to either London or Manchester etc they may have had a different opinion about the UK.

I know enough, that if I was living in Canada, I would choose for example either Toronto or Vancouver and I am 99% certain that I would prefer them BOTH to say Halifax. But then again, I could say that I would prefer to live in Halifax to say Saskatoon even though I have been to neither. I would say that I would sooner live in say Prague than in say Moscow etc .................I am sure by now that you catch the drift.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:39 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
<snorts> Oh dear. Matter of opinion I guess, but look at the return rate (just from this site) of people from BC in the last two years.
I am not surprised given the house prices there..........Its positively shocking
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:43 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I am not surprised given the house prices there..........Its positively shocking
They're going down. This of course is not want I want, as I am going the other way, but that's life. It chokes me that houses cost so much and are basically paper and wood. They deteriorate so quickly - what sort of investment is that?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
It true Canadians complain about the weather non-stop I always thought we we're the worlds biggest moaners

Good on you for making the decision to come home and for giving it a go in the first place. I really hope you go home and remind everyone who moans about the UK that's it's really not such a bad place.

So are you going to post this in the Canada forum or are you not feeling that brave?
Not feeling that brave, don't want to cast doubt on anyones aspirations about emigrating to Canada...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G586
All the Canucks I know go to Florida in the winter!

You guys had the same timeline as us & I remember how efficient you were with going so I expect you will be as good coming back.

5 months can be a lifetime and as you go up the mountain you get a better view, a different perspective and can see the path better. Sometimes, the path is in a different direction to the one you expected!
Dear God I wish life was perfect and I wasn't having to post this, but nevertheless it is not and we feel that England is a better alternative to Canada for us, being 46 and 40 years old respectivley and seen it been there and mabey not seen it all but want to make the rest of our lives as comfortable as possible scenario...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dingbat
They're going down. This of course is not want I want, as I am going the other way, but that's life. It chokes me that houses cost so much and are basically paper and wood. They deteriorate so quickly - what sort of investment is that?
This was my conclusion as well about houses in Vancouver, there is no way I would contemplate paying say 400.000 CD + for a house made out of wood and paper. At least over the border in the USA the same thing is a lot cheaper and presents better value.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Its like somebody coming to the UK and living in say Cumbria or North Wales etc (nothing wrong with these places by the way) and after 5 months there saying that they are pissed off with the UK and want to return home. Perhaps had they gone to either London or Manchester etc they may have had a different opinion about the UK.

I know enough, that if I was living in Canada, I would choose for example either Toronto or Vancouver and I am 99% certain that I would prefer them BOTH to say Halifax. But then again, I could say that I would prefer to live in Halifax to say Saskatoon even though I have been to neither. I would say that I would sooner live in say Prague than in say Moscow etc .................I am sure by now that you catch the drift.
You have still not answered my question.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oldbag
It always fascinates me on this forum - and the Canada one - that those of us who make the decision to move back to the UK are expected, even bullied, into justifying ourselves to those who, apparently, have settled; whilst the decision to leave the UK for Canada, is usually hailed as a wise and sensible decision with no justification required.

There are situations that no amount of research can prepare you for until you've actually moved to another place, whether it be around the corner or around the world.

We all have different experiences and what suits one person may not necessarily suit another. May you all be happy with whatever you decide to do. My decision to move back was the best one I've made in a long time!
Many thanks for your words of encouragement
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:56 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Not feeling that brave, don't want to cast doubt on anyones aspirations about emigrating to Canada...
There is already a mob on that forum, that do it well enough anyway. I am sure they`ll gladly accept your application to join them.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:58 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Only 5 months there and you want to come back already!!! Why did you choose Nova Scotia anyway and not somewhere decent like Ontario or BC?
Always amazes me when people complain about how cold Canada is, as its pretty obvious that its going to be very cold When anybody thinks the word Canada they think cold.

Hmph! Define "decent" in that context please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.