Wikiposts

We Love England!

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:02 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Love England!

Also - and no doubt someone will have mentioned this already.

Why do the majority of people who return disgruntled to the UK, often site that the cost of living wasnt cheap here, it was the sameor more than the UK? Is this the place's fault or the immigrant who clearly wants the new country to be not only better to live in with a great lifestyle, but also significantly cheaper too?

My advice to the OP is maybe you shouldnt have bought a house in Fall River as apart from being Little Britain, the same house elsewhere is far cheaper.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Also - and no doubt someone will have mentioned this already.

Why do the majority of people who return disgruntled to the UK, often site that the cost of living wasnt cheap here, it was the sameor more than the UK? Is this the place's fault or the immigrant who clearly wants the new country to be not only better to live in with a great lifestyle, but also significantly cheaper too?

My advice to the OP is maybe you shouldnt have bought a house in Fall River as apart from being Little Britain, the same house elsewhere is far cheaper.

Glad you love living in NS, you have obviously been through a lot on your emigration journey.
We are disappointed that the cost of living is so high in Canada, not Canada's fault, but to make emigration worthwhile you lifestyle has to improve considerably in order to justify leaving all your family and friends behind, we feel with all the reasons I have already stated that it is not worthwhile to live the rest of our lives in NS. We did masses of research throughout our 3 year wait, but it is not until you are actually living in a country that you can see the true cost of everything.
Your comment about Fall River is incorrect, it is so far from being like Britain, true there are a few british families that have chosen it, but that is because of the good schools and great proximity to the airport and Halifax. I have not once critised where we live, or Canada as a whole, we just want to return to England now.
You seem irritated that we want to depart the place that you love living in, that seems like good news for you as you have finally found your place in life, good for you, my life will take a fair bit more time to become whole.

Last edited by sim2point4; Jan 14th 2009 at 12:54 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

As we shared the same timeline and I know how committed the OP was to moving, it occurred to me that it might be like getting wedding blues...now that there is no focus to life (getting to the end of the queue and then moving) it can be a bit of an anti-climax, actually getting back to real life.

Apparently, people with a very fixed goal in sight, struggle once the goal is achieved. Is moving back a new goal/project?

It doesn't matter if it is or not, it's just a thought.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G586
As we shared the same timeline and I know how committed the OP was to moving, it occurred to me that it might be like getting wedding blues...now that there is no focus to life (getting to the end of the queue and then moving) it can be a bit of an anti-climax, actually getting back to real life.

Apparently, people with a very fixed goal in sight, struggle once the goal is achieved. Is moving back a new goal/project?

It doesn't matter if it is or not, it's just a thought.
Are you serious?
Are you suggesting that I have some sort of a mental problem, and just love wasting money!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Are you serious?
Are you suggesting that I have some sort of a mental problem, and just love wasting money!
Nah, not at all, I've always been impressed by your drive so I know you will have thought this through.

It just that you were so focussed for so long, it's a fairly common reaction to struggle briefly once the project is complete.

I was out walking the dog thinking about this thread and just thought I would mention it. At least you went, unlike us! And brave to post and keep posting, very good thread.

Last edited by G586; Jan 14th 2009 at 2:10 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:08 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious?
I think that was being a bit over sensitive, if that wasnt tongue in cheek. I think what is meant, is that a big focus, once achieved feels different and often leaves a gap in expectations or a gap in hopes at the very least. I can understand that. No shame in that at all.

Just to clarify, I didnt mean that Fall River isnt a nice place, what I mean......and I think I can say this as I have been here a year........that there is a reputation that lots of expats live in that area and there in lies another tale of why that should be. I never suggested it was *like* Britain, the reference *Little Britain* is a local one to imply that a lot of moneyed up Brits head there, spend too much on a dream house and then cant afford to stay there. That last part is my interpretation and my understanding from hearing examples of just that happening.

You are taking our thoughts very personally, which is normal. I had a similar thread when leaving NZ.....and I felt cruelly judged by those who loved NZ too. I return to my original statement that I dont mind what you chose, my replies have been directed to the brief duration of your stay and how this kind of reaction can lead to becoming permanently disposessed and unhappy. Best to find out something isnt all that you had hoped for, but Canada and NS arent poor places because you didnt find things cheaper.

And I think for those people who leap into something new and then find it not to their liking........maybe hearing other people's perspectives on returning/staying/emigrating elsewhere - particularly when they have that direct experience...........it might be wise to listen.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I think that was being a bit over sensitive, if that wasnt tongue in cheek. I think what is meant, is that a big focus, once achieved feels different and often leaves a gap in expectations or a gap in hopes at the very least. I can understand that. No shame in that at all.

Just to clarify, I didnt mean that Fall River isnt a nice place, what I mean......and I think I can say this as I have been here a year........that there is a reputation that lots of expats live in that area and there in lies another tale of why that should be. I never suggested it was *like* Britain, the reference *Little Britain* is a local one to imply that a lot of moneyed up Brits head there, spend too much on a dream house and then cant afford to stay there. That last part is my interpretation and my understanding from hearing examples of just that happening.

You are taking our thoughts very personally, which is normal. I had a similar thread when leaving NZ.....and I felt cruelly judged by those who loved NZ too. I return to my original statement that I dont mind what you chose, my replies have been directed to the brief duration of your stay and how this kind of reaction can lead to becoming permanently disposessed and unhappy. Best to find out something isnt all that you had hoped for, but Canada and NS arent poor places because you didnt find things cheaper.

And I think for those people who leap into something new and then find it not to their liking........maybe hearing other people's perspectives on returning/staying/emigrating elsewhere - particularly when they have that direct experience...........it might be wise to listen.

Yes sorry guys I probably am being over sensitive, will calm down, after all I started this thread so what did I expect.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry guys I probably am being over sensitive, will calm down, after all I started this thread so what did I expect.
Just wait until you get back home everyone will think you have mental problems, I know I get accused of that on a regular basis
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:48 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been a fascinating thread, I also think sometimes, that what folk have written down, is just sometimes having a conversation, but we can't hear their conversation tone ,so it can be misleading, I am sure we would all agree that everything you have done , going and returning has been with your families best interest at heart
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:41 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

This may not be true in your case but I think a huge part of settling into any new community (anywhere) is networking, networking, networking and building up social contacts. It's not enough to work and then go home, then go back to work, day in day out. Housewives can find it much harder to settle if they do not work because they can feel very isolated, so it is even more important for them to nework through their kids activities or do some volunteer work.

You have to put yourself out there and get involved in hobbies, sports, voluntary work etc in your community (Canada is the land of voluntary workers). It's the fastest way to feel part of your new community. I volunteered for almost the whole of my first year here whilst working part-time. Now I am working full-time but still volunteer for 1 hour a week with Special Olympics and occasional one-off events.

I used to visit a friend in Fall River and although a few BE members live there, the area is very large and forested with homes being built into mainly treed lots (Nova Scotia is around 80% trees). It's not a housing estate by any means and I am sure the proportion of Brits having homes there is actually pretty low. I did wonder though where the centre of the town/village was as it seems very spread out.

Maybe Fall River was not the right community for you, or lacked community spirit. We are lucky that we landed up in New Glasgow by chance (job offer) - the community spirit is fantastic and there is abundant things to do.

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 14th 2009 at 4:52 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackuk
This has been a fascinating thread, I also think sometimes, that what folk have written down, is just sometimes having a conversation, but we can't hear their conversation tone ,so it can be misleading, I am sure we would all agree that everything you have done , going and returning has been with your families best interest at heart

Rarely a truer word posted. It's a bit like texting - OH & I frequently 'fall out' like teenagers over a missed 'x' or a brief message taken as being curt, etc.....
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:53 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
Nah, not at all, I've always been impressed by your drive so I know you will have thought this through.

It just that you were so focussed for so long, it's a fairly common reaction to struggle briefly once the project is complete.

I was out walking the dog thinking about this thread and just thought I would mention it. At least you went, unlike us! And brave to post and keep posting, very good thread.
You don`t think about these threads when shagging do you?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:53 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Just wait until you get back home everyone will think you have mental problems, I know I get accused of that on a regular basis
I imagine you would.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:01 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

I find it very hard to believe that the cost of living in Nova Scotia compares to that of the UK but it would be interesting to know, where those who say it does, come from in the UK??? Reading the stories of people there, that say it is, well there must be some truth in it. BUT reading the threads by Bristol UK who is based in NB which is close to NS tells us a very different story and in fact, this relates more to what I have read and been told by Canadians themselves.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You don`t think about these threads when shagging do you?
No need to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.