Wikiposts

We are home

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:15 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are home

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Same here. Wind and rain constantley waking me up all the time. I still think winter in Perth is as miserable as winter in UK.
But we're coming to the end of the first month of spring....
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
But we're coming to the end of the first month of spring....
Spring???? I think we must be having Melbourne's weather. All 4 seasons in one day.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:23 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Spring???? I think we must be having Melbourne's weather. All 4 seasons in one day.
It's always changeable between Sept-Dec.One day warm the next chilly.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always changeable between Sept-Dec.One day warm the next chilly.
Another thing they don't tell you on "A New Life Down Under'

I want my money back

And what is is thing about hibernating in winter. One of my Ozzie friends thinks I am certifiable because I sat on the beach in a T-shirt and shorts in August while hubby surfed. It was really warm and I loved it but she thinks I am crazy.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

thought I would post a quick thread to let you know how we have got on being back in the UK.

We arrived just over a week ago and were able to move straight into our rental home, home for the next 6 months. The house we are renting is tiny, esspecially in comparison to our Australian house. The garden is awful and the rental agency worse that useless. \the house has no phone line, no TV antenae, and a couple of the plug sockets are coming out of the wall.

It has rained almost every day, and I have not seen much outside of the four walls we are living in as I am temporarily disabled and we only got a car a couple of days ago. I had never driven on UK roads so that was very intimidating the first time but I am slowly getting used to it.

So the verdict....best decision we ever made! we are home and, warts and all, this is where we are meant to be. The rain has made the grass green and lush (we are visiting my dad in Cumbria just now and beautiful hardly does his garden justice - the kids are having a blast playing in the soft ground). The dog is delighted that he is being let off the lead without fear of fines or snake bites! Ian is loving the beer, and I managed to visit Asda which was one of the bst days out I have in ages. Just the variety of food and clothing available cheaply and easily. And the number of disabled and parent-with-prams parking bays! They have really got car parks sorted.

Basically it feels like we were on holiday for four years and are home now. No regrets, I'm glad we took the chance to leave but am even happier we took the chance to come home.

Mel
So glad you are enjoying it. We travel back on 17th October...can't wait.

Kids are looking forward to wrapping up warm on fireworks night.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebiE
So glad you are enjoying it. We travel back on 17th October...can't wait.

Kids are looking forward to wrapping up warm on fireworks night.
Hi Debbie,

Did you go through what a lot of us seem to go through and have good days and bad days etc? we are desparate to get a date sorted so we have something to plan for...I think it is not having a date and things "sorted" that causes the stress!!! once that's out of the way I am sure we would feel a lot better...

Anyway good luck to you all...toffee apples, treacle toffee and a cold christmas...you lucky people you!!! I really do wish it was us though!!!

Good luck and all the best of wishes for your family in a lovely country called the U.K
Jackie in perth....wishing I was on that plan that has just taken off over our home (going west I might add!!!)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi Debbie,

Did you go through what a lot of us seem to go through and have good days and bad days etc? we are desparate to get a date sorted so we have something to plan for...I think it is not having a date and things "sorted" that causes the stress!!! once that's out of the way I am sure we would feel a lot better...

Anyway good luck to you all...toffee apples, treacle toffee and a cold christmas...you lucky people you!!! I really do wish it was us though!!!

Good luck and all the best of wishes for your family in a lovely country called the U.K
Jackie in perth....wishing I was on that plan that has just taken off over our home (going west I might add!!!)

Hi Jackie

We ummed and aarred for a long time trying to decide what to do for the best and for the kids etc. Not an easy decision. In fact, I think it's harder to decide to return than to come in the first place.

Once we came to a decision it seemed as if a height had lifted off our shoulders and we could then start planning our return home.

The hardest thing for us to do was book the flights...we really couldn't decide when to do back, so we settled on going back sooner rather than later. We knew we didn't want to stay, so what was the point in dragging it out. Once the flight was booked and the shock of it had past we are now really looking forward to going 'home'.

Hold in there Jackie, your time will come soon enough. Keep us posted of your plans.

Debi

Ps...Jackie, I love reading your quotes at the end of all your post...they are brill!!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Kath, I thought you were going home after a stop over in Hong Kong is that not right?

Jackie in Perth
Oh yeh we are off 5 November, but what i mean is we might not settle where we want to go in UK. Our plans could change once there...but hopefully only in UK not back here in Oz...

BTW you sound sooo fed up - big hugs and karma for you ive been there
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:30 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh! Guy Fawkes night....I think its one of the UK holidays that I miss the most, Treacle toffee, baked potatoes cooked in the fire, sparklers and of course the fire works themselves....sheer bliss...

I used to love walking the streets at about midnight, the air would be thick with acrid smoke from all the fireworks and it would feel like I was in a scary movie, with all the mist swirling around....
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:29 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I love little houses...the smaller the better...it drives hubby mad when we are house hunting...he grow up in a large old Victorian house...and likes space...I'm more than happy in a small flat...in fact of all our homes I miss my little flat on the bay at Portchester the most...
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:54 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I love little houses...the smaller the better...it drives hubby mad when we are house hunting...he grow up in a large old Victorian house...and likes space...I'm more than happy in a small flat...in fact of all our homes I miss my little flat on the bay at Portchester the most...
I'm the same, but only for the fact that they are soo much easier to clean...
but no give me a small and charming house any day, as I think they have more character
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:49 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I'm the same, but only for the fact that they are soo much easier to clean...
but no give me a small and charming house any day, as I think they have more character
Our full time home is small...you can't swing a mouse in the kitchen...
In FL we went a bit bigger...but I can close a lot of the house off...we have a lot more family visits in FL for Disney so we need a little more room...but when we sell up we will downsize...
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebiE
Hi Jackie

We ummed and aarred for a long time trying to decide what to do for the best and for the kids etc. Not an easy decision. In fact, I think it's harder to decide to return than to come in the first place.

Once we came to a decision it seemed as if a height had lifted off our shoulders and we could then start planning our return home.

The hardest thing for us to do was book the flights...we really couldn't decide when to do back, so we settled on going back sooner rather than later. We knew we didn't want to stay, so what was the point in dragging it out. Once the flight was booked and the shock of it had past we are now really looking forward to going 'home'.

Hold in there Jackie, your time will come soon enough. Keep us posted of your plans.

Debi

Ps...Jackie, I love reading your quotes at the end of all your post...they are brill!!
Thanks Debbie,

This site has helped us loads esecially me...I now know other people feel the ameway and I am not ging to be carted off in the "yellow van" although after thse last few days I feel that would be ablessing and would put e out of my misery!!!
I think it is when you wake up one moring and think "that's it I want to go home" (although it does not really happen that way.....I wish!!) and I started to mention it to a couple of my friends it seems as though I was a "leaper or had some sort of "catching illness" they have backed off in a way which has surprised me....and that makes it harder to get through your days sometimes when you are fed up...and want to talk to someone about how your are feeling...this site has been my "therapy"...going a bit deep there!!!! I think that leads to some of the stress , that you act that you are 100% happy and things are normal (if there is any such thing!!!) and don't want to bother people with your troubles. I was watching Ready Steady Cook this morning and it must of been a Christmas Special...well what a lovely show it was...so Christmassy and they were all having such fun...and the food...well I wish I could turn out something like that out of a few packets!! anyway it was the start of ....god do I miss that!!! the lovely lead up to Christmas...buying your outfit for the new years party!!! etc...all you lucky people with your flights booked you have all that to look forward to.

My husband is on the mines at the moment (first time to earn money for England) he is not liking it at all and is back in two weeks (cannot wait) and we will have to sit down and make definate plans as we cannot go on pinning away for home and the clock is ticking!!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and for those who are on their way home....it's just a lovely country to be returning to and do I wish it was my family with tickets in hand and off to the airport.

Jackie from (is that the yellow van pulling up outside my home)Perth
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:43 pm
'In limboland'

Hi Jackie, what does your OH do and what mine has he gone to?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jackie, what does your OH do and what mine has he gone to?
He worked for Telstra for 8 years.....he had enough (now really regrets leaving) then went as a Project Adviser for Western Power (through skilled)
we went to England March 08 - May 08 and on the way back stopped in Dubai was offered a job as Project Manager with a British Company he said yes as we all wanted to head back home.....we all came back to Perth, husband went to Dubai (May 08) company was paying for everything but we could not find a place for our older son....(yr 11) we tried different schools but by the end of Aug 08 my husbands company needed to know what we were going to do....it was awful, my husband loved his work....thought Dubai was great but way to hot...he came back to Perth as he did not really have a choice and started to look for work in the metro area..could not find one with a good enough salary so we could start saving to return home to England and ended up on a mine in Port Hedland as an Electrician which is his trade..not worked as it though for years...since before coming to Aus....he is not enjoying it...hates being away from home..work is horrible...etcbut he just says think of it as getting money together until Dec 08.....somedays it is not so bad but others it is just the pits.....a friend's husband works on the mines and does 4 on 1 off and I asked her the other day how does she put up with it, don't you get lonely...she just laughed and said I think of the "Bucks"!!!! I want to wake up feeling like that but I don't...I miss my husband, our sons really miss their dad but they are good lads!!! so really life is pretty c--p at the moment....but I have to start thinking about it being our way home....

Wow my life story in only one paragraph!!! now that's sad!!!
Jackie who is just about to go around the bend!!! with my dog..."sky"..taking her out for some fresh air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.