We bought our tickets!

Old May 24th 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice
Default Re: We bought our tickets!

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
Hi there,
Thanks so much for your message. How lovely that lady was for you, I'm so happy that you found a place that was suitable. I don't have family in the area but am hoping someone on here may know contacts in Bath for me. I actually have been in contact with a landlord who owns a property in Bath that I found online and the photos description Eric l
I pressed send before finishing that post, oops, "Eric" was typed ETC btw, there is no Eric, lol.

So, to continue...the photos, description etc seem like a good fit and he and I are both happy that it would be but having not seen it in person is the issue. I can't ask him to hold it for me and I don't think I can commit to it having not seen it either.....so, stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
Old May 25th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
Hi no worries - I managed to get one line with Virgin (they wouldn't let me add a line for my husband until my credit went up) I did a pay monthly plan taking a direct debit from my bank account. £15 a month unlimited everything (gotta love the UK for that!)

I also signed up for Virgin cable TV. Had to do a little pleading but they sorted it out in the end. Although I had to cancel after 2 months and go with SKY as we moved and there was no ability to have cable (one of the sucky things about living on a country estate!!!) Had to pay a pretty hefty fee for that Oh well.

I also bought a car - that took MAJOR pleading with the car finance people especially seeing as I don't have a steady income but they googled me and realized I was a working actress so took a chance. I did have to pay a higher interest rate though.

The good thing was in less then a year (thanks to cell phone and car payments) I went from below poor on the credit rating site to excellent! Hurrah!!!

Good luck!
Gosh, cell phone service is much cheaper over there! I can't wait!!

May I ask what they require as a down payment for a car over there (30% for example)? Obviously, the more the merrier, but I am just curious what the requirements are. I hadn't planned to buy one over there but I might do it when I get settled.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Gosh, cell phone service is much cheaper over there! I can't wait!!

May I ask what they require as a down payment for a car over there (30% for example)? Obviously, the more the merrier, but I am just curious what the requirements are. I hadn't planned to buy one over there but I might do it when I get settled.
We are buying a Fiat 500, and we have paid £500 deposit.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
We are buying a Fiat 500, and we have paid £500 deposit.
Wow!!! That's much lower than I expected. That's good news! What made you go with a Fiat?
Old May 25th 2014, 6:36 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Wow!!! That's much lower than I expected. That's good news! What made you go with a Fiat?
Several reasons:

There's only two of us, and we really don't need a great big car, plus a small car is more economical and greener.

Secondly, brand loyalty. We had a Seicento before we left the UK, and loved it. It was a superbly designed little car with an amazing amount of space for luggage and shopping, but small enough to cope with our very narrow drive, and as OH kept saying, it would turn on a sixpence.

Thirdly, looks. OH rents the same apartment in Vienna each year, when he is doing research there. The first 500 we ever saw belongs to one of his neighbours, in the pearl white (sold as Funk White in the UK) with red leather seating. We think it looks very cool and we have ordered the same colour combination, but not the leather.
Old May 25th 2014, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like a great little car - and cute color combination, too!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Well, it's almost here...... movers arrive tomorrow and we leave the country on June 19

Wanted to say we also opened a bank account with HSBC so it's waiting for us when we arrive. Was a good experience, though a lot of hoop-jumping (there are no branches near us so we had to do everything through the mail which meant lots of notarised copies of this and that flying around). As a heads-up, i do believe they have now increased the minimum required to open an account from 5,000 pounds to 25,000 pounds. We got in right before the change (phew!). Anyway, if you're interested then just be sure to check the small print before proceeding....
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha
Well, it's almost here...... movers arrive tomorrow and we leave the country on June 19

Wanted to say we also opened a bank account with HSBC so it's waiting for us when we arrive. Was a good experience, though a lot of hoop-jumping (there are no branches near us so we had to do everything through the mail which meant lots of notarised copies of this and that flying around). As a heads-up, i do believe they have now increased the minimum required to open an account from 5,000 pounds to 25,000 pounds. We got in right before the change (phew!). Anyway, if you're interested then just be sure to check the small print before proceeding....
Was there a $200 "processing fee" ? I tried to do just this from Canada (create a Malta bank account) but they wanted $200 to do it.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Was there a $200 "processing fee" ? I tried to do just this from Canada (create a Malta bank account) but they wanted $200 to do it.
I thought you were only 14? What are you doing with a bank account?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I thought you were only 14? What are you doing with a bank account?
15... Its only a small saving account with a small amount of money in it, but I add to it whenever I get money for bdays xmas and such, and when I start working part time I will have wages paid into it. Its the "home fund"
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Gonna follow this thread since it seems a bunch of you are moving around the same time as us! We're hoping for October (though Hunny might be heading over the end of Sept) - but aren't booking tickets till the house is sold (going on the market this weekend!)

Let's go chase our rainbows!