We bought our tickets!

Old May 23rd 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice
Default Re: We bought our tickets!

By the way if anyone is interested in flights, to and from Canada (they only fly between UK and Canada) I booked with Canadian Affair, they have reasonable rates, I think I paid $600 fees/taxes all in, per ticket. They don't fly into Heathrow only Gatwick and some other UK airports, I think Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Shannon, and they fly into all the major Canadian airports I do believe. They use Air Transat. Haven't used them before though so hope they're good, maybe I shouldn't be recommending them just yet then! They were recommended to me though for good pricing on flights. Has anyone used them before? Thanks.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:18 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
I'm moving back too, on 17th June, not far off at all, excited but scared also. I'm moving to Bath with my two teen boys, 17 & 19. I opened an HSBC account in the UK from Canada, it was quite easy to do. I also relocated my NIN from years ago, I just phoned them up, printed off and filled in the form they required and they mailed it to me. Still waiting for our UK passports to arrive though, that's the kicker, I hope they're here in time! The most difficult thing so far is finding a rental, not that there aren't any suitable places, but you have to be in the country to view it etc, I'm short term renting a place from airbnb, a great website that private homeowners rent out their properties whilst they're abroad themselves etc. I found a great place for a little while until I find a permanent place to rent. If anyone out there knows of someone who rents places out in Bath please let me know. Cheers.

I also don't have a job lined up yet, but hoping I'll find one soon enough. I'm a teacher, I'm also waiting for my equivalency certificate or whatever it is then send to me from Naric, they are the governing body in the UK that evaluate overseas credentials.

Im not taking any furniture, being selling loads of stuff on kijiji and craigslist which has been very fruitful. My car is next to go but still need it for a week or so more.

This move is much needed, a fresh start beckons, does anyone live in Bath on here? If anyone has more info for me about things I may have forgotten to do etc, please let me know, thanks again, Cheers.
Hi,
Were you able to open the HSBC account on line or did you have to go into an actual branch-I'd like to do that but there are no branches where I am. Also did you need an actual UK address? Also a teacher, also looking to rent a place in Essex so I know what you're going through. I'm going to check out airbnb-thanks for the tip :-)
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

Hi,
Yes you have to go into a Branch to open it. I had to open a Canadian basic account with them first and then they send your details to the UK to open it internally through the HSBC international division. It's quite a detailed process but not too bad. After a week or two I got a call from the UK, welcoming me to HSBC UK and everything was explained to me about my account etc. A few days later my checkbook, debit card etc arrived in the mail for me to use when I land in the UK, so right away. I'm happy I set it up beforehand, as I hear it's hard to done somethings without a UK bank account.

I think you should look into opening one before you move if you can. Maybe give them a call, you may be able to do the application over the phone, I'm not too sure. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 23rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

By the way if anyone is interested in flights, to and from Canada (they only fly between UK and Canada) I booked with Canadian Affair, they have reasonable rates, I think I paid $600 fees/taxes all in, per ticket. They don't fly into Heathrow only Gatwick and some other UK airports, I think Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin and Shannon, and they fly into all the major Canadian airports I do believe. They use Air Transat. Haven't used them before though so hope they're good, maybe I shouldn't be recommending them just yet then! They were recommended to me though for good pricing on flights. Has anyone used them before? Thanks.

Haven't used them before but will check them out thanks!
Hi,
Yes you have to go into a Branch to open it. I had to open a Canadian basic account with them first and then they send your details to the UK to open it internally through the HSBC international division. It's quite a detailed process but not too bad. After a week or two I got a call from the UK, welcoming me to HSBC UK and everything was explained to me about my account etc. A few days later my checkbook, debit card etc arrived in the mail for me to use when I land in the UK, so right away. I'm happy I set it up beforehand, as I hear it's hard to done somethings without a UK bank account.

I think you should look into opening one before you move if you can. Maybe give them a call, you may be able to do the application over the phone, I'm not too sure. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Do you know if this opening of accounts can happen with any other country which has HSBC? Like can I open a Maltese HSBC bank account? And is your account in GBP or CAD? (will you get charged exchange rate when using your HSBC UK card in the UK?)

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
Yes it can be with any country that has HSBC in it. First you have to have or open an HSBC account in your current country, after they set you up with that one, then they apply for you in the country of your choice, where you are moving to. I think that the reason they need you to have an account where you live currently is so that they can check you out, identity wise etc. I had to take my passport and a copy is sent to the country you want to open the account in. They also ran a credit check when I opened the account, I think this is why the Uk (or whatever country you want an account in) open it for you as you have already been checked out by your current branch of HSBC. Hope this makes sense!

I have a Canadian account and a UK account now, so each would be in the currency of that country, to answer your question. There is a fee to transfer funds between the two countries, no surprise there, but it's convenient as you will have the accounts set up in both countries and your transfers can be done online immediately. Hope this helps, if you need more info, just ask. Cheers
Old May 23rd 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

They will send you a debit card from and for your new country, its a separate card and will be in that currency so no exchange rate, and you will have a different debit card for the currency of your current country. So I have two now, one sent to me from the UK in GBP and one that I was given in Canada in Canadian currency.
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
May I ask what cell phone service you got?
Hi no worries - I managed to get one line with Virgin (they wouldn't let me add a line for my husband until my credit went up) I did a pay monthly plan taking a direct debit from my bank account. £15 a month unlimited everything (gotta love the UK for that!)

I also signed up for Virgin cable TV. Had to do a little pleading but they sorted it out in the end. Although I had to cancel after 2 months and go with SKY as we moved and there was no ability to have cable (one of the sucky things about living on a country estate!!!) Had to pay a pretty hefty fee for that Oh well.

I also bought a car - that took MAJOR pleading with the car finance people especially seeing as I don't have a steady income but they googled me and realized I was a working actress so took a chance. I did have to pay a higher interest rate though.

The good thing was in less then a year (thanks to cell phone and car payments) I went from below poor on the credit rating site to excellent! Hurrah!!!

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving back too, on 17th June, not far off at all, excited but scared also. I'm moving to Bath with my two teen boys, 17 & 19.
Oh my husband and I took a day trip to Bath in December just before we moved back to LA. LOVED IT!!! My first time there! Had a Sally Lunn bun...because....well you have to right?!? Walked around the Christmas market, went shopping....such a lovely place.

Good luck with the move
Old May 24th 2014, 12:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with Air Transat/ Canadian Affair several times. I prefer them because my family is in Sussex. Some people on the Canadian forum won't use them because of the limited leg-room, the low baggage allowance, and the francophone call centre operators. The other disadvantage for me has been that they only fly from Edmonton during the summer.

We are using them for our last flight back next month, but have paid extra for leg-room and two bags instead of one. We are also taking two cats with us, and Petsaway, who are arranging it for us, prefer Air Transat because of the Gatwick flights. They say the animal reception centre at Gatwick is better than Heathrow.
Old May 24th 2014, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Thanks so much for your message, yes, Bath is really lovely isn't it, and Sally does have lovely buns doesn't she! oops that sounds wrong doesn't it!
Old May 24th 2014, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi Editha, thanks for the info regarding two bags, I'm going to check that out, I don't mind paying extra for that, do you know if you have to do that at time of booking or can I do it now, I have booked already? thanks.
Old May 24th 2014, 12:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Editha, thanks for the info regarding two bags, I'm going to check that out, I don't mind paying extra for that, do you know if you have to do that at time of booking or can I do it now, I have booked already? thanks.
You should be able to add it on. Have a look at their site. I think what we've got is 'option plus' which gives us two bags each up to 72 lb weight, plus the carry-on.
Old May 24th 2014, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Yes it can be with any country that has HSBC in it. First you have to have or open an HSBC account in your current country, after they set you up with that one, then they apply for you in the country of your choice, where you are moving to. I think that the reason they need you to have an account where you live currently is so that they can check you out, identity wise etc. I had to take my passport and a copy is sent to the country you want to open the account in. They also ran a credit check when I opened the account, I think this is why the Uk (or whatever country you want an account in) open it for you as you have already been checked out by your current branch of HSBC. Hope this makes sense!

I have a Canadian account and a UK account now, so each would be in the currency of that country, to answer your question. There is a fee to transfer funds between the two countries, no surprise there, but it's convenient as you will have the accounts set up in both countries and your transfers can be done online immediately. Hope this helps, if you need more info, just ask. Cheers
They will send you a debit card from and for your new country, its a separate card and will be in that currency so no exchange rate, and you will have a different debit card for the currency of your current country. So I have two now, one sent to me from the UK in GBP and one that I was given in Canada in Canadian currency.

Thanks!!
Old May 24th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving back too, on 17th June, not far off at all, excited but scared also. I'm moving to Bath with my two teen boys, 17 & 19. I opened an HSBC account in the UK from Canada, it was quite easy to do. I also relocated my NIN from years ago, I just phoned them up, printed off and filled in the form they required and they mailed it to me. Still waiting for our UK passports to arrive though, that's the kicker, I hope they're here in time! The most difficult thing so far is finding a rental, not that there aren't any suitable places, but you have to be in the country to view it etc, I'm short term renting a place from airbnb, a great website that private homeowners rent out their properties whilst they're abroad themselves etc. I found a great place for a little while until I find a permanent place to rent. If anyone out there knows of someone who rents places out in Bath please let me know. Cheers.

I also don't have a job lined up yet, but hoping I'll find one soon enough. I'm a teacher, I'm also waiting for my equivalency certificate or whatever it is then send to me from Naric, they are the governing body in the UK that evaluate overseas credentials.

Im not taking any furniture, being selling loads of stuff on kijiji and craigslist which has been very fruitful. My car is next to go but still need it for a week or so more.

This move is much needed, a fresh start beckons, does anyone live in Bath on here? If anyone has more info for me about things I may have forgotten to do etc, please let me know, thanks again, Cheers.
Hi,
Do you have family nearby who could go and view some houses for you? Believe it or not I found someone on this forum who lived in a small town near where we were looking. I got talking to her and she offered to go and look at a few properties for us and took some photos and gave us her opinion.
We took a chance and rented one of the houses from New Zealand and it was ideal.

Good Luck
Old May 24th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Do you have family nearby who could go and view some houses for you? Believe it or not I found someone on this forum who lived in a small town near where we were looking. I got talking to her and she offered to go and look at a few properties for us and took some photos and gave us her opinion.
We took a chance and rented one of the houses from New Zealand and it was ideal.

Good Luck
Hi there,
Thanks so much for your message. How lovely that lady was for you, I'm so happy that you found a place that was suitable. I don't have family in the area but am hoping someone on here may know contacts in Bath for me. I actually have been in contact with a landlord who owns a property in Bath that I found online and the photos description Eric l

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.