Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are we all bonkers, that we want to go and live in the UK?

Are we all bonkers, that we want to go and live in the UK?

Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:59 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are we all bonkers, that we want to go and live in the UK?

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I bed some people would argue that statement
Yes, I would. I lived in Belgium for 16 years, and although I was happy enough there, I am just as happy in the U.S.

Sara

P.S. Hi Eurotramp!

I think you have to do what you think is best for you. Everyone is different and if you think you'd be happier in the U.K., then see if you can persuade your husband to give it a go. As I mentioned in the PM, I lived in Brussels, but I know that Mons is really out of the away and very different. Not sure I would have liked living there, to be honest. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm German and I'm married to a brit...

Are all the people who come from good jobs and big and cheap houses bonkers to want to live in the UK
No, just following their instincts rather than their brains.

Every evening I walk the dog in shorts and t-shirt (me, not the dog, duh) along the nice wide traffic-free streets of my neighbourhood I wonder if I'm bonkers to be thinking of going back to the U.K. On paper, many people would say it's a no-brainer - high standard of living, cheap housing, great weather, nicely manicured and landscaped town, great job vs. smaller, more expensive house, narrower, high-traffic streets, rain, graffiti, vandalism and chavs, blah, blah. Why would anyone in their right mind want to go from the US back to the UK?

But you can't put a "logical" face on some of the reasons for wanting to go back. It's all to do with a feeling of belonging, familiarity, and lots of other intangibles. So although we might seem bonkers to some people, we're not so daft after all.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:56 am
muddy member

downshifter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wildmark
Then go.

A great, heartfelt, intelligent, response from you Mark....not!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:01 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downshifter

LOL..oh yes Mark is just one great big softie...!!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:21 am
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dunroving

Every evening I walk the dog in shorts and t-shirt (me, not the dog, duh) along the nice wide traffic-free streets of my neighbourhood I wonder if I'm bonkers to be thinking of going back to the U.K. On paper, many people would say it's a no-brainer - high standard of living, cheap housing, great weather, nicely manicured and landscaped town, great job vs. smaller, more expensive house, narrower, high-traffic streets, rain, graffiti, vandalism and chavs, blah, blah. Why would anyone in their right mind want to go from the US back to the UK?

But you can't put a "logical" face on some of the reasons for wanting to go back. It's all to do with a feeling of belonging, familiarity, and lots of other intangibles. So although we might seem bonkers to some people, we're not so daft after all.
I agree, if you feel in your heart that you have to go, then go. There is no logic.
We made the move back to the UK 10 years ago, felt it was the right thing for us at the time. 10 years down the line and giving ourselves time to settle, look for jobs, change areas, try to settle again. I admit defeat!
When you are used to living abroad it is quite hard to settle back in, and I think I have given things a good enough go. But at the end of the day my heart is not in it. Maybe looking back we should never have come back, but at the time it felt right.
However, better to make the move and give it a go that sit wondering 'what if' for the next 10 or 20 years.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by downshifter
Your welcome.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pants
LOL..oh yes Mark is just one great big softie...!!!

No a realist
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Yes, I would. I lived in Belgium for 16 years, and although I was happy enough there, I am just as happy in the U.S.

Sara

P.S. Hi Eurotramp!

I think you have to do what you think is best for you. Everyone is different and if you think you'd be happier in the U.K., then see if you can persuade your husband to give it a go. As I mentioned in the PM, I lived in Brussels, but I know that Mons is really out of the away and very different. Not sure I would have liked living there, to be honest. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Hi Neathborn,

yes we still at it ..how true that Mons is not Brussels everybody just speaks French und is really unfriendly...and the area is one of the most deprived areas in Belgium..as you know.
We can have a good lifestyle here, but what's the point living in a dump
looks like it, that we go in about 2 years to the uk...I hope that it is not a mistake and we still hope that the house prices will come down.
Last weekend we went to a Flemish part of Belgium, I thought I was on a different Planet...great streets, no gravel, nice Gardens and wonderful houses hubby is not to happy leaving Nato...but is my live as well
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:23 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neathborn,

yes we still at it ..how true that Mons is not Brussels everybody just speaks French und is really unfriendly...and the area is one of the most deprived areas in Belgium..as you know.
We can have a good lifestyle here, but what's the point living in a dump
looks like it, that we go in about 2 years to the uk...I hope that it is not a mistake and we still hope that the house prices will come down.
Last weekend we went to a Flemish part of Belgium, I thought I was on a different Planet...great streets, no gravel, nice Gardens and wonderful houses hubby is not to happy leaving Nato...but is my live as well
Hi Eurotramp,

Could another part of Belgium therefore offer your family a compromise and give you what you would like?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Eurotramp,

Could another part of Belgium therefore offer your family a compromise and give you what you would like?
Unfortunate that's not possible, because Nato sits right here and the school is on camp..

We thought everything over and over...plus I really want to live in the UK and I think it will be good for our Kids as well
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:28 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wildmark
Then go.
Oh riiiiiiiiight I forgot how easy it is, just get a cab to the airport then yeah, passport in hand and all that. Wow I had lost touch completely with how simple it all is.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Ah but dont forget thats because your comparing apples with oranges. The UK is nothing like the US thats why we love it. We love the US for other reasons. Comparisons just make everything more confusing.

I live in a very pretty sub division I walk my dog everyday. There are no paths and no one walks. I accidently walked on a neighbours drive, the bottom 2 foot and was asked to kindly not walk on their drive! My dog gets excited when we meet other pedestrians. Is this what I want for the rest of my life? Not really. I want to get back to what I know, not forgetting that when you live somewhere after a period you stop comparing and stop seeing differences. You can just get on with living your life. Its nice here but its not forever.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Oh riiiiiiiiight I forgot how easy it is, just get a cab to the airport then yeah, passport in hand and all that. Wow I had lost touch completely with how simple it all is.
Hey it can be that simple, focus energy on making it happen not whinging about it!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:34 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa

I live in a very pretty sub division I walk my dog everyday. There are no paths and no one walks. I accidently walked on a neighbours drive, the bottom 2 foot and was asked to kindly not walk on their drive! My dog gets excited when we meet other pedestrians. Is this what I want for the rest of my life? Not really. I want to get back to what I know, not forgetting that when you live somewhere after a period you stop comparing and stop seeing differences. You can just get on with living your life. Its nice here but its not forever.
Good God! Friendly neighborhood you live in!!
I have to put up with kids playing Manhunt at 11pm during the summer, they run through everyone's gardens regardless. I don't let my kids take short cuts through peoples gardens, it's just not the done thing, but here they don't care. The last thing I'd want to become is the neighborhood misery for complaining though.

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Aug 12th 2005 at 12:38 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 2:11 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by callé
Not bonkers at all. I have reflected on this for many years. My happiness does not lie in having this big house and low mortgage. I have a good job but when I go home and walk my dogs and look around, its not where I want to be. Over time I resent it more. The houses are nice and big but they are all pretty much the same. No character, no history. No countryside anywhere near me. people are nice but they are not British. It might be perfect for some people. But it doesnt make my heart happy. Its just not me. These material things really cant touch the things that real happiness is made of.Thats why its different for everyone. For me, My heart is in England. I would be bonkers to not go back!!

Absolutely summed it up for me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.