Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Waste of a chunk of your life

Waste of a chunk of your life

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waste of a chunk of your life

Originally Posted by jad n rich

...walking round on a cool morning with crispy leaves did for me, it was like I feel 'right', I can honestly say I have never got off a plane in australia and felt anything but dread to be back again.
I hear you girl, loud and clear.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont mind at all. Firstly Canada is somewhere we have lived/visited many times, Van and Calg.. 2 of my closest friends live there, one of those familes would be closer to us than many members of real family. Were into it eyes wide open, I am the sort of person who wants to know whats wrong with it, more than how many snow capped scenic mountains its got.

Its also (after australia) very much in the centre of the planet, UK eight hours, USA couple hours, that to us is a massive advantage. I would also be proud to have my kids as Canadians, something they think would be cool, they have never shown much interst in wanting to be called Australian, others may disagree but we find many australians brash and rude and full of so much ignorant self importance.

My partners work has always been in construction, he was a carpenter working up to site manager and own projects, I know this is a bad time in construction however it wont stay like that forever, construction is always boom/bust. We feel we can do well there.

If I wanted to try another lifestyle it would be the Canadian one, quite the opposite from here, the north american lifestlyle fitted me like a glove before and I want to do it again, the kids really want to do it too. Climate is a bonus for us, believe me heat is not all its cracked up to be.

Canada will allow us to improve relationship with family in UK. My bros etc feel canada is a reasonable distance to holiday, australia is not.

A cool climate with seasons also appeals to me no end Fall, Christmas, seasons, I want that again too. When I was in Calgary last year I cant explain what walking round on a cool morning with crispy leaves did for me, it was like I feel 'right', I can honestly say I have never got off a plane in australia and felt anything but dread to be back again.
Sounds as you that you have your eyes wide open. I've never been to Oz but I've heard what you say a number of times. Vancouver and Calgary are very central to rest of the world and that regard they are a good compromise.

I love Vancouver and the spring/summer has been outstanding. My only real criticism is home ownership relative to earnings and the winter rain.

I have no desire to go back to the UK, although I find I miss family more the older that I get. I find my self contemplating retiring back there (although not manchester). I'm 14 years away from police pension so who knows.

Hope all goes well. Good luck
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:14 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Vancouver and Calgary are very central to rest of the world and that regard they are a good compromise.
It's interesting, isn't it? I've never lived in Australia, but I can imagine that it feels a long way from anywhere. But to me, BC seems a long way from anywhere, too!

Sure, the States is there, but that doesn't rack up against Europe next door to me. The 8 hours time difference is a big dislocation. I feel really cut off from the wider world out here on the Pacific rim.

Just me, of course. Like I say, it's interesting how differently we all see the same thing.

Bev
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm
It's interesting, isn't it? I've never lived in Australia, but I can imagine that it feels a long way from anywhere. But to me, BC seems a long way from anywhere, too!

Sure, the States is there, but that doesn't rack up against Europe next door to me. The 8 hours time difference is a big dislocation. I feel really cut off from the wider world out here on the Pacific rim.

Just me, of course. Like I say, it's interesting how differently we all see the same thing.

Bev
Yes that's why i said compromise. I dare say one has to be careful with rose tinted specs looking back at the uk. Proximity to europe while nice does not pay the bills.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:19 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Vancouver and Calgary are very central to rest of the world and that regard they are a good compromise.
You are joking I take it? Neither of these places is central to anywhere, except perhaps a few American states, and the rest of the world couldn't care less about Canada... I thought the non-status Canada enjoys was part of its charm....?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tricia
I know of some people who can't seem to find 'contentment' and have come to the sad conclusion that the reason they (the ones that I know) can't find it is simply because they have forgotten some important life ground rules:

1) Joy comes from the simplest things
2) Don't waste time or energy on things you cannot change
3) Money brings you security, people bring you happiness

I look at many of my parent's generation who say they would not trade places with my children's and probably not mine, I pondered this seriously as they are the only ones who have seen the positives and negatives of all 3 generations. Why were they so content when their lives were so much harder, the answer to that one can be found in the points above and maybe the key is 'choice', it's great to have but too much can divert us on to lengthy crusades to experience more/achieve more/earn more but there is almost always sacrifices to be made and we end up with the constant questioning, what's next / was it worth it / which is best..........STOP......go back to 1,2, 3 and uncomplicate your life
So true. We have flights booked for 10days time mainly going home for family as we have 2 young children and want to share their growing up.......2days ago some guy knocked on our door and offered OH a job (he heard he was out of work!?). After all the months trying to get a decent job and then one falls on our lap THAT PAYS BETTER:curse: is someone trying to keep us here? i wonder if someone up 'there' is giving us the choice: MONEY or FAMILY will keep this quote i mind, rather have grandparents than a swimming pool though.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:37 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You are joking I take it? Neither of these places is central to anywhere, except perhaps a few American states, and the rest of the world couldn't care less about Canada... I thought the non-status Canada enjoys was part of its charm....?
um, compared to Oz & NZ, they are. Honest. And actually, if you wanted to go to NZ or OZ, it's a lot closer from here than Europe, while not being soooo damn far away to Europe (24 hours +. Boooo).

But yeah, I hear you.
=
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
um, compared to Oz & NZ, they are. Honest. And actually, if you wanted to go to NZ or OZ, it's a lot closer from here than Europe, while not being soooo damn far away to Europe (24 hours +. Boooo).

But yeah, I hear you.
=
I must go to Oz one day. It is one place I never been, and I am starting to get curious....
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:37 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I must go to Oz one day. It is one place I never been, and I am starting to get curious....
Two weeks should cover it. Any more and you might lose the will to live
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

pontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant futurepontings gone has a brilliant future

Just a bit strong but know what you mean.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:03 pm

Matter of perspective - i've traveled and lived all over the world. And north america is very central when flying to a lot of places ( i was talking flying and not walking by the way), especially when you look at OZ - which is the middle of nowhere. My comment was made in referrence to living in BC/Alb rather than OZ.

I respectfully disagree with your comment
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have never really felt any desire to even visit Oz, and after several years of reading posts on here, have even less desire to visit. It just seems like an awful long way to go, so it would have to be really special to justify such a long, expensive trip. There's nothing dreadful about the place, from what I can tell, but nothing super special either.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:31 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
It is difficult to explain really, but it's kind of surreal in the sense i have been living in a lifeless bubble where i was separated from the world, and have now lept out into the sunshine..
That's kind of similar to the way I used to describe it too. Being in Oz at the time made me feel like I was a pickle stuck in a jar of vinegar.

I worked beside a guy from Bosnia in Melbourne. We were chatting about something unrelated to Europe/Oz and then there was a silence. He broke it with the statement "You feel more ALIVE in Europe, don't you?"

And with it's warts and all, I had to agree with him.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I'm normally in the NZ forum, but thought I'd pitch in.

The UK Media play a really large part in giving people the wrong ideas about NZ/Aus, specially Aus. Programmes like "Wanted down under" etc. make Aus sound like a utopia, the land of milk and honey, and if you can just get in there your life will be transformed. I hear Australia is expensive now, well NZ has always been expensive. I'm from NZ and trust me, most people live hand-to-mouth, week-by-week, unless you're from old money ... so I imagine similar is true of Australia. The English soooo dont realise this, in fact often they're under the illusion that its cheaper out there!!!, my god, if only that were true. Because you're isolated EVERYTHING has to be imported, and you just don't have the consumer choices. For example, silly things like furniture - 90% of the population will have the same sideboards/wardrobes/tables and chairs as you. The same carpet. Everyone who built a house in the late nineties for example in NZ has blue carpet (more-or-less, okay there are exceptions, but I'm talking by-and-large), because thats what was shipped out there, and therefore what people could afford. The Australian males are quite macho as well, even to NZers. They have a bad attitude towards the english ... countless references to "winging poms", and "prisoners of mother england" etc. etc. The Australians really are a piece of work.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:51 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have never really felt any desire to even visit Oz, and after several years of reading posts on here, have even less desire to visit. It just seems like an awful long way to go, so it would have to be really special to justify such a long, expensive trip. There's nothing dreadful about the place, from what I can tell, but nothing super special either.
I guess I am thinking of doing the tourist things, like Ayres Rock etc. so two weeks would probably be enough..lol...we have friends who moved from Scotland to Alice Springs and love it. I know I could never live there, as I feel isolated enough in Canada.

Dboy I see your point, yes of course it is all a matter of perspective, as I have travelled all over the world too, but of course we can agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.