Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

WARNING.. returning home hunters

Wikiposts

WARNING.. returning home hunters

Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:01 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default WARNING.. returning home hunters

We have recently been looking for a nice house to rent and like many people here in UK, we took a look on the Gumtree website. OH came across this property and was sent this reply back from the "supposed" landlord.

Hi
My name is Johnson Mark the owner of the 2 bedroom house, I want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes me, my wife and Son to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own.. So for now, We are here in West Africa (Nigeria) in our new house and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment,
since i am not residing there for now.I left behind some Facilities and electronics which include the rent,and a DVD player,air conditioning, alarm system. The kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cooking utensils,a refrigerator-freezer, four-hob and oven, microwave,dishwasher and washing machine, My Computer Connected with Internet Access Also the keys to the House are right here with me, andthe lease document. Which i can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of my apartment is most important thing so will want you to get back to me with the Application form below
Flat Address: 909 S Marlyn Ave, Essex, MD 21221, UK

FILL IN THE RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)When do you want to move in?
10How long do you want to stay in my apartment?
11 Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my apartment.

One Mr Braid called me about the apartment,I told him that I can't give him the apartment because he loves smoking,drinking and don't want him to get drunked and damaged my property one day. So If you are still interested, Note that the rent is going to be £400 Per month No extra fees.
I personally will actually come visiting you sometimes during the year as our new tenant.
Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and
contacting you. Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys of the house to you.

Thanks
Johnson

It is sooooooooooo obviously another slant on previous Nigerian scams. DO NOT fall for it!
This is the first time i have come across this happening in the rental property market. Maybe they have had to broaden theirs ets due to people catching onto their other scams.

As with most things in life, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:10 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING.. returning home hunters

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
We have recently been looking for a nice house to rent and like many people here in UK, we took a look on the Gumtree website. OH came across this property and was sent this reply back from the "supposed" landlord.

Hi
My name is Johnson Mark the owner of the 2 bedroom house, I want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes me, my wife and Son to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own.. So for now, We are here in West Africa (Nigeria) in our new house and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the apartment,
since i am not residing there for now.I left behind some Facilities and electronics which include the rent,and a DVD player,air conditioning, alarm system. The kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cooking utensils,a refrigerator-freezer, four-hob and oven, microwave,dishwasher and washing machine, My Computer Connected with Internet Access Also the keys to the House are right here with me, andthe lease document. Which i can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue ,but your absolute maintenance of my apartment is most important thing so will want you to get back to me with the Application form below
Flat Address: 909 S Marlyn Ave, Essex, MD 21221, UK

FILL IN THE RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number
3)How old are you?
4)Are you married?
5)How many people will be living in the house?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)When do you want to move in?
10How long do you want to stay in my apartment?
11 Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my apartment.

One Mr Braid called me about the apartment,I told him that I can't give him the apartment because he loves smoking,drinking and don't want him to get drunked and damaged my property one day. So If you are still interested, Note that the rent is going to be £400 Per month No extra fees.
I personally will actually come visiting you sometimes during the year as our new tenant.
Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and
contacting you. Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys of the house to you.

Thanks
Johnson

It is sooooooooooo obviously another slant on previous Nigerian scams. DO NOT fall for it!
This is the first time i have come across this happening in the rental property market. Maybe they have had to broaden theirs ets due to people catching onto their other scams.

As with most things in life, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!!

Lots of scams in gumtree lately. There are lots of high value cars being advertised for dirt cheap money. There is never a genuine phone number given, just an e mail address. Normally an e mail address which cannot be traced. I think some people hoping to bag a bargain are most probably robbed when they meet up with these villains.

You have to be so careful and wise these days. If it sounds to good to be true or too much of a bargain, it most probably is. If you cannot even get a genuine contact telephone number off the seller this is most definately a scam !!! Stay clear.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Why would he want photo's? that's a dead giveaway for starters.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:53 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Lots of scams in gumtree lately. There are lots of high value cars being advertised for dirt cheap money. There is never a genuine phone number given, just an e mail address. Normally an e mail address which cannot be traced. I think some people hoping to bag a bargain are most probably robbed when they meet up with these villains.

You have to be so careful and wise these days. If it sounds to good to be true or too much of a bargain, it most probably is. If you cannot even get a genuine contact telephone number off the seller this is most definately a scam !!! Stay clear.
First time i have come across it. I have sent them an email about it.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:55 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Why would he want photo's? that's a dead giveaway for starters.
Exactly!

Also, if you look at the address of the property, it is not in UK format. UK postcodes don't read like that and it gives no town in Essex.

I have to admit i am slightly tempted to pursue it further to see just how they intend to waesle the money out of you. Afterall, if you are going ot rent a place you would intend to go view it, so that would be fun in itself!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The mention of Nigeria sends up the flags for me. I've seen this one before too on craigslist here in US. Thing is they will use a house that really is up for rent, and take the pictures from the rental agency website.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

I have read about folk doing this - you send them the deposit and first months rent and when you get there, there's no house to live in. It's terrible.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

The address is from The US. Its in Baltimore, in essex. The MD stands for municipal district.

909 S Marlyn Ave
Essex, MD 21221, USA

you can google map it.
So me thinks yeap a scam...
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
The address is from The US. Its in Baltimore, in essex. The MD stands for municipal district.

909 S Marlyn Ave
Essex, MD 21221, USA

you can google map it.
Surely MD stands for Maryland?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips

Yes, it's been on telly recently. You bring cash, they bring the cosh. You meet them in a car park and they steal your cash and you get the cosh.

Why on Earth you'd bring several thousand in cash to meet a perfect stranger in a car park I can't fathom. Especially if they say they'll sell you a 2-year old BMW for £5k or some other ridiculous price.

No-one deserves to get robbed but some people don't get a lot of sympathy from me in these situations.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:02 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit

909 S Marlyn Ave
Essex, MD 21221, USA

you can google map it.
Interesting. Obviously a not so smart Nigerian trying it on this time
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:05 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, it's been on telly recently. You bring cash, they bring the cosh. You meet them in a car park and they steal your cash and you get the cosh.

Why on Earth you'd bring several thousand in cash to meet a perfect stranger in a car park I can't fathom. Especially if they say they'll sell you a 2-year old BMW for £5k or some other ridiculous price.

No-one deserves to get robbed but some people don't get a lot of sympathy from me in these situations.
Agreed, but the real sad thing is that there are plenty of unaware, poor and desperate people out there. The price they ask for the property is way below the norm and of course, those who cannot afford normal prices are targetted.
For those desperate for somewhere to live and maybe new in a foreign land etc, could well fall for it.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The mention of Nigeria sends up the flags for me. I've seen this one before too on craigslist here in US. Thing is they will use a house that really is up for rent, and take the pictures from the rental agency website.
Yep, it's very common in the US. Always check that the person you are renting from actually owns the property. And these days, always check that they aren't in default on their mortgage!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:48 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I was getting those responses last year when I was looking on Craigslist for places in Vancovuer!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yep, it's very common in the US. Always check that the person you are renting from actually owns the property. And these days, always check that they aren't in default on their mortgage!!
Not only in the UK, we were renting in Spain, and moved out without notice after getting people knocking on the door asking for money, apparently the owner had moved out of the property, put it on for rental without telling them that she only owned it jointly with her husband who she had split from. He was wanting his half of the money, and sending 'the boys' round to get it. She wasn't answering e mails from the rental companies she had it up with, nor was she answering on any of the phone numbers she had given them, she apparently owed thousands, we got out within a couple of weeks of finding out about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.