Wanting to move back?

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Wanting to move back?

I work in the auto industry and noticed this report about how GM are trimming their workforce in Europe by at least 20% ,may be of interest to the starter of this thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3742154.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3742154.stm
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:00 am
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice
Default Re: Wanting to move back?

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Hello,
Just found this site and am really happy there are others I can talk to about moving back to the UK....

Well, here goes. I was born in Enfield, England, and immigrated with my parents, at a young age of 3, to Ontario, Canada. I have been back to the UK many times to see family recent trip Dec. 2003 for 3 weeks. Now I have grown, i really miss the things i didn't have when growing up in Canada...like cousins, aunts/uncles. all the stuff that goes along with having family close by instead of thousand of miles away. I miss England's heritage, people, and love being there. I find the people do seem calmer.

I am married to a Canadian, who also is considering life in the UK, we have 2 children as well. I am just wondering where do we start?

Am I CRAZY to want to move back?.
1)Would we be able to buy a 3 bedroom flat or terrace/cottage.?
2)What is the schooling like? Would my 6 year old daughter get teased with her Canadian accent???

3)My husband works for GM(car plant) Millwright/machine tool repair. Would there be any chance of work transfers to GM Europe (LUTON)? I have heard many things about the car industry.

This is my first post. So any comments are greatly appreciated. I know my next post won't be so long.

(I still have my British passport, and my children are british by descent, so just what would my husband need?)

Cheers
Hi there, just read your post !
Well, got to say right off, that I gave up on the UK over 4 years ago, and moved to Illinois USA, where I now have PR.
We are also now in the process of buying a house here in Nerja Spain.
Not trying to influence your decision, or get you to change your plans, just suggesting that you visit the BBC news website a few times, look around the areas you are intending to move to, and see just what it's REALLY like in the UK now ! believe me, it's not the place you left as a girl !
www.bbc.co.uk/news
Best wishes and good luck with the move
Bill
Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by expat01
Hi there, just read your post !
Well, got to say right off, that I gave up on the UK over 4 years ago, and moved to Illinois USA, where I now have PR.
We are also now in the process of buying a house here in Nerja Spain.
Not trying to influence your decision, or get you to change your plans, just suggesting that you visit the BBC news website a few times, look around the areas you are intending to move to, and see just what it's REALLY like in the UK now ! believe me, it's not the place you left as a girl !
www.bbc.co.uk/news
Best wishes and good luck with the move
Bill
Hi Bill,

So what I understood from your post, Is that you are British?? and you tried to move back but you moved to the U.S. then you decided on Spain...? Spain is lovely, but my main reasoning for the UK is Family and cousins for my children...Not much here(Ontario), in the way of that. I know how England has changed, but Canada has changed too, health care, rising taxes etc....everything changes whether good/bad. My husband loves England too, so that is where we are headed once there is word of a job which the GM car industry isn't flourishing at the moment. But fingers crossed he will find something with his trade, Millwright, hoping something positive happens for us. Good luck to you in Spain.
Deana
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:32 am
Just Joined

nicoler is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Wanting to move back?

Originally Posted by callë
I came over with parents at age of 5. I have 2 sisters that adjusted quite well and got American citizenship years ago. I, on the other hand, would not let go of my 'Britishness'. I was such a rebel about it. I yearned to go back and cherished each visit with my relatives and every letter that came. In school, I had no desire to learn American history and would go to the library and check out books about Britain or Brits. I have just applied for citizenship now that I'm going back. So I would say that it depends on the child whether they adjust or not. I know I have missed out on soooo much.
After checking various sources and getting lots of opinions, I think that England has the better education system.
And you would not believe the amount of crime here in sunny Florida. It's everywhere. You just have to choose the best area for living in any country.
England is home and its a wonderful place. there are problems everywhere but NOT everywhere is 'home'.
Thank you for your last quote I could not have put it better myself, I live in the South of France (I know it's not far from the UK, but the culture is a world apart) and I am desperate to go home after two and a half years and eventhough life is good for us here my mind is always on going home. We did leave London because of cost of living, council tax, crime etc etc.. you get the picture and where we live in Monaco there is no crime and a good standard of living but somethings can be expensive, but life is not always greener as they say.
Pity for me my husband now has a wow factor job that he has worked hard to get and I cant see the light at the end of the tunnell.
Eventhough we have intergrated into the community and fitted in well you can still feel the unseen devide between the French and English and it has been hard forming real friendships.
So I say to anyone wanting to go home to the UK do it, and for me I will just keep dreaming for now.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

yorkshirerose is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Wanting to move back?

Well, I've read most of this thread. It seems some people are worried about moving back to the UK because of the time they've been away. I've been in BC Canada for 24 years! I'm moving back December 7th. I'm going for at least a year. Renting out my house here in case I come back. I've stayed to long because I'm divorced with 13 1/2 yr old son and I didn't want to separate him from his Dad. Now he's chosen to go live with him full time for a while. He's going to join me in January for a month and bring schoolwork. We were in England 3 times last year as my mum has health problems. So the main reason for me returning is to help pick up the slack for my Dad and visit my sister and her wonderful hubby. When you don't have immediately family around you it's very difficult. I've missed them terribly. I'm moving to Otley, West Yorkshire - a beautiful market town.
I've also read about everyone talking about crime in the UK. You problably don't hear about the crime here too. In one week, in our town and the one an hour away, we've had a three people shot to death and a car jacking involving knives and guns. Drugs are everywhere and home invasions too. So it's not just in the UK. It's all over the world. You just pick carefully where you feel the safest and the closest to your families.

Sorry to be so long but wanted to say my piece. Thanks!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by yorkshirerose
Well, I've read most of this thread. It seems some people are worried about moving back to the UK because of the time they've been away. I've been in BC Canada for 24 years! I'm moving back December 7th. I'm going for at least a year. Renting out my house here in case I come back. I've stayed to long because I'm divorced with 13 1/2 yr old son and I didn't want to separate him from his Dad. Now he's chosen to go live with him full time for a while. He's going to join me in January for a month and bring schoolwork. We were in England 3 times last year as my mum has health problems. So the main reason for me returning is to help pick up the slack for my Dad and visit my sister and her wonderful hubby. When you don't have immediately family around you it's very difficult. I've missed them terribly. I'm moving to Otley, West Yorkshire - a beautiful market town.
I've also read about everyone talking about crime in the UK. You problably don't hear about the crime here too. In one week, in our town and the one an hour away, we've had a three people shot to death and a car jacking involving knives and guns. Drugs are everywhere and home invasions too. So it's not just in the UK. It's all over the world. You just pick carefully where you feel the safest and the closest to your families.

Sorry to hear your reasons for returning, hope your Mum gets better soon, but GOOD ON YOU! for posting some positives on the U.K and some reality on life elsewhere
Hope all works out well for you
K n K
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yorkshirerose

Hello,

I glad you have read the site I started...it is nice to know others feel the same way I do...I just wish I could get there sooner as well, my husband works for GM, and the car industry in the UK is not too good at the moment. but hopeing, fingers crossed that it will pick up.
I like that British people can talk and opens everyone eyes to so many things, and what is really important in the long run...I do hope things go well for you, and your son. Maybe he just may live there too. Wish you well with your parents.
In Ontario too long - 32 years. And yes, crime is here too, for all the others that think this country is different from the UK...Just recently our locked garage was broken into, we live in a small town under 25 000. So it is not just a city thing!
Cheers Deana
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

yorkshirerose is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Wanting to move back?

Thanks guys for all your good wishes. Hey - check out the 'anyone from Canada moving back..." thread - interesting over there too!