Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to UK from USA

Want to move back to UK from USA

Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to UK from USA

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hey, what if you DON"T have your NI number? Do you know how to go about finding it? I too have been in the US for 20 years, and am planning on going back to the UK, once I have obtained US citizenship. I have no clue what my NI number is though and now I am worried about what will happen when I get back?
Also, I read somewhere that if you become a US citizen and return to the UK and get a job you have to file taxes with the US, is that correct?

Thanks for any one who helps or answers this!?
That is correct, Uncle Sam will be wanting those returns for life ... If you're going to be receiving SS payments across the pond my usual opinion of SFW does not really count. Sorry, you will need to bother doing them.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you lost me on that last posting... what's SFW?

So for clarification on this point, if your a US Citizen living in another country, you still need to file a federal tax return in the States, even if you have no income or expenses etc.? Is that to ensure that when you reach retirement age you can claim Social Security from the US government and have them pay it to you in the UK?

I have no doubt that you're correct, but with the current state of affairs regarding Social Security and it's future, I would have to think given my luck that I would do tax returns for the next 25 years only for them to change legislation in their favour the day before I reach a suitable age, and they take my Social Security monies away to fund another war.

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
MM

You mention moving to Cornwall. Devon and Cornwall have some of the most inflated house prices in the UK, which is good news, because now we're at the start of the crash, these highly inflated areas (Wales being another) are predicted to fall the most. I would speculate you might get a real bargain if you time things right.
Good to know. Thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin

So for clarification on this point, if your a US Citizen living in another country, you still need to file a federal tax return in the States, even if you have no income or expenses etc.? Is that to ensure that when you reach retirement age you can claim Social Security from the US government and have them pay it to you in the UK?

I have no doubt that you're correct, but with the current state of affairs regarding Social Security and it's future, I would have to think given my luck that I would do tax returns for the next 25 years only for them to change legislation in their favour the day before I reach a suitable age, and they take my Social Security monies away to fund another war.

Umm, so f****** what

If you leave the US as a GC holder or USC you are supposed to file federal returns, but, if you have no remaining financial ties and no intent to ever return .. you get my point

If on the other hand you are looking for SS payments and/or there is a possibility of returning, I would stay in the good books, if I were you.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ohhhh. Haha. Thanks for the clarification.

Like I said, I'm sure the US govt. will find a loophole and reason not to pay people so they can use the money for something else more important, like campaigning for voters (brother!)
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, what if you DON"T have your NI number? Do you know how to go about finding it? I too have been in the US for 20 years, and am planning on going back to the UK, once I have obtained US citizenship. I have no clue what my NI number is though and now I am worried about what will happen when I get back?
Also, I read somewhere that if you become a US citizen and return to the UK and get a job you have to file taxes with the US, is that correct?

Thanks for any one who helps or answers this!?
I was in the same situation. Just write to the following, and they'll send it to you. I gave them my name, DOB, and last UK address. Had my NI number within a couple of weeks:

HMRC Center for Non Residents
Room # BP 1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle on Tyne, NE 98 1ZZ
England

Yes, if you become a USC you continue to pay taxes to the US govt until your dying day! Also, if you're a GC holder and there's even the remotest possibility you may go back to the US, you need to keep paying taxes. According to our tax planner, however, it works out ok because US / UK taxes tend to cancel each other out. You get to subtract all the taxes you pay to the UK before paying your US taxes.

Lovely, huh!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin

This is from an article I found written by a tax attorney:

" All citizens and green card holders (also US resident aliens) are subject to US Federal taxation on their worldwide calendar year income for life, regardless of where their income is earned, what currency it is in or where the income is deposited to."

Re. social security, I doubt very much that you wouldn't end up with some kind of US pension in the end, and if you've been working in the US for 20 odd years, i think it's worth doing the federal tax return to make sure you get that money. After all, if you look at your contributions info from the govt every year, you can see how much money you've paid in over the years! The UK pension you get in the next 20 or so years working will not make up any shortfall. We did a lot of research on this and decided it was definitely worth the extra effort to ensure our financial future.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi TaraC,

I can understand having to pay US taxes if I had a US income like from rental property or something like that.

But if I am in the UK, and I am employed by a UK firm, and I do the normal pay as you earn stuff, and I get no income in the USA, why would I have to pay USA taxes? I wouldn't be getting any benefits at all from the USA? I can see filing a return just to keep the records straight, but why on earth would I be taxed on money that I earn in the UK if I also live in the UK?

The wording that you sent sounds more like it applies to someone who is a resident of the USA, whether USC or GC, who's home base is in the States, but they work around the world like a consultant or something. That I can see would apply to that statement.

I'm not trying to disagree with you, TaraC as it looks as though you've done the homework for yourselves. I'd be interested to hear from others too on this and will do some digging myself.

I just found this on the yankee site and it sounds as though it might be of help...
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=30822.0

Cheers, Martin
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Martin,
US citizens have an obligation to REPORT their worldwide income. Full Stop.

Whether or not you pay tax to Uncle Sam on it is a function of the various tax treaties. Income under about $82000/year fits easily under the 'double taxation' rule.

It does not matter where the USC or PR is resident, those are the rules.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Martin,
US citizens have an obligation to REPORT their worldwide income. Full Stop.

Whether or not you pay tax to Uncle Sam on it is a function of the various tax treaties. Income under about $82000/year fits easily under the 'double taxation' rule.

It does not matter where the USC or PR is resident, those are the rules.
MrM, assuming that eventually you will be getting income from Social Security and (likely) retirement accounts such as a 403b or a 401k, you will have a strong incentive to file your US Federal Income Tax Return each year like a good citizen. When living abroad, there is 30% withholding off the top. If you do not owe tax, the withheld amount will be refunded to you
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
MrM, assuming that eventually you will be getting income from Social Security and (likely) retirement accounts such as a 403b or a 401k, you will have a strong incentive to file your US Federal Income Tax Return each year like a good citizen. When living abroad, there is 30% withholding off the top. If you do not owe tax, the withheld amount will be refunded to you
Ooo, interesting.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very cool. Thanks for that info. Very good to know!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:03 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraC
I was in the same situation. Just write to the following, and they'll send it to you. I gave them my name, DOB, and last UK address. Had my NI number within a couple of weeks:

HMRC Center for Non Residents
Room # BP 1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle on Tyne, NE 98 1ZZ
England

Yes, if you become a USC you continue to pay taxes to the US govt until your dying day! Also, if you're a GC holder and there's even the remotest possibility you may go back to the US, you need to keep paying taxes. According to our tax planner, however, it works out ok because US / UK taxes tend to cancel each other out. You get to subtract all the taxes you pay to the UK before paying your US taxes.

Lovely, huh!
Thank you very much for that address TaraC. So, to clarify, I go back to the UK and get a job, and I pay taxes to both the US and the UK government? How does one cancel the other out? When I retire I get benefits from both countries?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for that address TaraC. So, to clarify, I go back to the UK and get a job, and I pay taxes to both the US and the UK government? How does one cancel the other out? When I retire I get benefits from both countries?
Let's say you have no income in America (no bank accounts, no investments, no salary or fees or whatever.) You are working in the UK and have a savings account in a UK bank.

You will pay your taxes in England via paye in the normal way. The savings account will probably pay you interest net of tax. If you weren't a US citizen, that would be the end of it - no tax worries. But because you're a US citizen, you'll have to file your US federal tax return, declaring ALL income, including your UK salary and UK savings bank interest. However, you almost certainly won't owe any US tax on it since you've already paid UK tax on it ... and if your income is less than $83,000 per annum (or whatever the exact figure is) no tax is due anyway.

There's also a form you need to submit to the US Treasury each year, in addition to the tax return, declaring all your bank accounts outside the USA. (Treasury Department Form 90-22.1) So a lot of paperwork, but shouldn't cost you more in tax.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Let's say you have no income in America (no bank accounts, no investments, no salary or fees or whatever.) You are working in the UK and have a savings account in a UK bank.

You will pay your taxes in England via paye in the normal way. The savings account will probably pay you interest net of tax. If you weren't a US citizen, that would be the end of it - no tax worries. But because you're a US citizen, you'll have to file your US federal tax return, declaring ALL income, including your UK salary and UK savings bank interest. However, you almost certainly won't owe any US tax on it since you've already paid UK tax on it ... and if your income is less than $83,000 per annum (or whatever the exact figure is) no tax is due anyway.

There's also a form you need to submit to the US Treasury each year, in addition to the tax return, declaring all your bank accounts outside the USA. (Treasury Department Form 90-22.1) So a lot of paperwork, but shouldn't cost you more in tax.
You make good points. If you are a US/UK dual national living in the UK you have to do both UK and US taxes as the US taxes based on citizenship, not residency. If you are living in the US you don't have to file UK taxes if you don't have any income, gains etc arising in the UK as the UK taxes on residency.

If you've been in the US far a while, have a US spouse and children and probably SS and retirement accounts I think it's best to go for USC even if it will make you tax situation more complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.