Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

want to move back to the UK... could do with some help and advice..

want to move back to the UK... could do with some help and advice..

Old May 5th 2014, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move back to the UK... could do with some help and advice..

Originally Posted by thaminabee
well i am hoping all will go smoothly... my kids are actually excited by the prospect... there is more for them to do there and schooling will be easier...

i am really nervous about this.. as you said uprooting a family is not easy at all... but its a step that we have to take... fingers crossed it will be easy... i know it wont be but i can still hope..

like i said before... the only thing that has held us back is the housing situation... we have been looking into moving back for nearly three years but couldn't find any help or advice on what we should do..
You have only been out of the country for 5 years.....it has not changed much in that time. What don't you know about living in the UK?
Old May 5th 2014, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
There have been some fly-on-the-wall documentaries lately on how difficult it is to live in the London area if you are relying on housing benefits. As house prices and rental prices have increased, housing benefit doesn't cover rent.
The Housing Benefit amount has been cut too, from the 50th percentile, down to the 30th.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

There is a government benefits calculator on this link:
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
You might find it useful.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all....
I have been working and living in the middle east with my husband and kids for five years now... the life is really hard and we have become homesick... we are all British so have no problem with returning.. the main issue I am facing is housing???

how would I be able to sort out housing when I'm not there. now I know there are websites but they also come with the price tags as internet properties do... any advice people on what I could do...

i would really love to relocate back there in July to have time for registering schools and so forth... i was previously living in east London and would like to be there or on the borders lines...

any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Going off topic a little on the subject of renting in the U.K. I was horrified by the fees associated with home or apartment rentals charged by letting agencies or realtors.

One agency I contacted wanted 80 pounds for the first reference check, and 50 pounds for subsequent checks. Should my references have not been to their satisfaction, the fees were non-refundable. In addition this agency charged the renter a monthly maintenance fee on top of the rent due.
I checked around a few other rental / realtor agencies and found much the same thing. And it is all quite legal.

Forty five years ago I was student in London, and at that time, if my memory serves me right, it was illegal for letting agencies to charge a renter a fee. How things have changed.

I will be returning home permanently by the end of this year, and will probably rent until I can find somewhere to buy. But I am damned if I am going to pay letting agency fees.

The Daily Telegraph ran this article on the subject.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...f-control.html
Old May 7th 2014, 8:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Going off topic a little on the subject of renting in the U.K. I was horrified by the fees associated with home or apartment rentals charged by letting agencies or realtors.

One agency I contacted wanted 80 pounds for the first reference check, and 50 pounds for subsequent checks. Should my references have not been to their satisfaction, the fees were non-refundable. In addition this agency charged the renter a monthly maintenance fee on top of the rent due.
I checked around a few other rental / realtor agencies and found much the same thing. And it is all quite legal.

Forty five years ago I was student in London, and at that time, if my memory serves me right, it was illegal for letting agencies to charge a renter a fee. How things have changed.

I will be returning home permanently by the end of this year, and will probably rent until I can find somewhere to buy. But I am damned if I am going to pay letting agency fees.

I agree. I have the impression that it is a particular problem in London, but maybe not so much elsewhere. I've been renting out our house in Devon and the agent I'm using does not charge tenants fees. There are proposals to change the law and I hope the campaigners succeed in doing so.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:01 am
Just Joined

thaminabee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So you left the country for five years and now every member of the government is supposed to snap to attention sorting out your benefits?
I'm sorry but I didn't say that I wanted benefits... if you had read through the posts.. I was talking about housing and what options I have.... as for the government helping.. I wanted advice as anyone who is confused and lost would require.. sorry if that puts you out but then don't respond..
I didn't force you to have an input!!
Old May 8th 2014, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: want to move back to the UK... could do with some help and advice..

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
As suggested above, search for properties on Rightmove or Zoopla to give you an indication of price. Also, we rent our UK home out and apart from the first months rent we also require a deposit of 1.5 time the monthly rent. Our lettings agents will require a credit check, reference and proof of ability to pay the rent.

In order to be eligible for Housing Benefit (or any benefits) you will firstly have to pass the "Habitual Residence" test as you have been living outside of the UK - I don't know how long this process takes though. You will definitely need to return with enough money to tide you over until you're eligible to claim any benefits.

Housing benefit will only be paid if you meet certain criteria and there is also a cap on the maximum amount that will be paid.

As you mentioned previously living in the East London area, I've attached a link to Newham council to give you and idea of the way that HB is calculated. Please note how the amount of bedrooms influence how much HB will be paid - if your children meet the criteria regarding age/sex, HB will be based on them sharing a bedroom. There is nothing to stop you renting a larger house, just that HB may not cover your rent and you would need to make up the balance.

http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Servi...ngAllowanceLHA
Thank you for your response. I wasn't looking to rely on housing benefit or any other benefit really. both myself and my husband will be planning on working. I guess mainly I'm looking for guidance in housing. thanks again.. I will have a read through the page you sent me to see how the laws in housing have changed..
Old May 8th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dave2003

you see.. this is my point exactly. I know I have only been out of the UK for 5 years but we have a new government that is changing all the laws around so you do tend to get lost in all the regulations. I know the private letting agencies you find on the net charge more than average and then all those other fees that you mentioned.... that was my whole point for this post. thank you so much for your words. its nice to see someone knows what it is like .
Old May 8th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You have only been out of the country for 5 years.....it has not changed much in that time. What don't you know about living in the UK?
housing and the processes that we used when living in the UK are different to when you are moving back there. for instance I was living in a housing association property before. sure we paid the rent and council tax ourselves. but the rent price is a massive difference to what I will pay having to go private... nearly 3 times the difference. thanks for your post..
Old May 8th 2014, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
I agree. I have the impression that it is a particular problem in London, but maybe not so much elsewhere. I've been renting out our house in Devon and the agent I'm using does not charge tenants fees. There are proposals to change the law and I hope the campaigners succeed in doing so.
That is a good point. I have lived in Devon before too, that's why I was thinking to go outside of London. to keep the prices down.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that... i do want to rent... do you know anything about getting help with the rent from the government... being outside for 5 years i don't have any clue if i am entitled or if i have to be there for a period of time before i can apply... London's rent prices aren't exactly cheap!!
I'm sorry but I didn't say that I wanted benefits... if you had read through the posts.. I was talking about housing and what options I have.... as for the government helping.. I wanted advice as anyone who is confused and lost would require.. sorry if that puts you out but then don't respond..
I didn't force you to have an input!!
Reads to me that you were asking about benefits - housing benefit (assistance with rent)
Old May 8th 2014, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Reads to me that you were asking about benefits - housing benefit (assistance with rent)
sorry that I made it sound that way... its housing in general that I was inquiring about

I have never rented private.. like I stated before I have only been in housing association so I was asking really if anyone could give any advice about looking for housing

oh and I did state that but it was conversation in general. I heard that many of the laws had been changed.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:33 am
Just Joined

I do apologise to all that think I am asking about applying for benefits.... it seems that the chat got twisted along the lines. and reading back through my previous posts, I understand why you would have thought that. my sole intention for posting on here was to enquire if anyone could give any advice about housing and what routes I might be able to take.

I have never rented private before but looking at the price difference to housing association is major.

again sorry to all that think that I posted to ask about benefits
Old May 8th 2014, 10:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

sorry that I made it sound that way... its housing in general that I was inquiring about

I have never rented private.. like I stated before I have only been in housing association so I was asking really if anyone could give any advice about looking for housing

oh and I did state that but it was conversation in general. I heard that many of the laws had been changed.
As you've found, there are a few sites on the internet for renting in the UK - Rightmove, Zoopla and primelocation I think are the main ones. There's also the possibility of finding private lets through Gumtree, freeads and local papers.

Citizens Advice have guides to renting but I cannot get the site to open (not sure why, main site is here - www.adviceguide.org.uk)

Obviously where you rent will affect how much you pay
Old May 8th 2014, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
As you've found, there are a few sites on the internet for renting in the UK - Rightmove, Zoopla and primelocation I think are the main ones. There's also the possibility of finding private lets through Gumtree, freeads and local papers.

Citizens Advice have guides to renting but I cannot get the site to open (not sure why, main site is here - www.adviceguide.org.uk)

Obviously where you rent will affect how much you pay
thank you for that I will be sure to check through the local papers and see if they offer different to the internet sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.