Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Waiting for spring to spring!

Waiting for spring to spring!

Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:46 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Waiting for spring to spring!

It's been a rather grey Easter....Lordy has it been cloudy....however it has been very fun catching up with friends who came over from Canada. We ventured down to Essex/Suffold border and went to the beach and visited some quirky and very cool cafes. Met some of her friends and family and felt so at home. We all had a right old British belly rumbling laugh.

We then went to Leicester and saw a friend in a madly funny show called Oeidupussy, (Spy Monkey - theatre company). Funny as it sounds! My dear Canadian hubby was stunned when my girlfriend emerged naked on stage. 'When you said we were going to see her, I didn't think you meant ALL of her!'

We had fab friends come up and visit and help us do some plumbing in our new house and had a fantastic time going out on walks (regardless of weather conditions). We spent the evenings drinking wine and just enjoying being together. It's still such a pleasure to be able to that!

So, life in our new home is fantastic. We live in a gorgeous village and we have both settled into our jobs and the routines of life. The dog is loving chasing squirrels in the back yard and my kids love seeing the sheep and cows in the back field. Lovely. I love the dawn chorus and sitting in the garden (weather permitting) to listen to the evening chorus.

Life is very varied here and that is what I so missed in Canada. I found life was the same every day and I knew exactly what to expect. In the UK, I am constantly surprised and delighted by the endless things to do - museum exhibits, theatre, invites to dinners, the movies, parks and so on.

For me variety is truly the spice of life. I feel like me again at long last and I like me! I know that sounds a little weird but I started to dislike who I was. I didn't feel funny or interesting to anyone (maybe I'm just not...) and I didn't feel like the relationships were meaningful or real. My Canadian friends RARELY if ever get in touch! Sad but true.

Anyway, I know what it is like to be waiting to come back and how scary it is. I hope this may help a little.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:42 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for spring to spring!

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
It's been a rather grey Easter....Lordy has it been cloudy....however it has been very fun catching up with friends who came over from Canada. We ventured down to Essex/Suffold border and went to the beach and visited some quirky and very cool cafes. Met some of her friends and family and felt so at home. We all had a right old British belly rumbling laugh.

We then went to Leicester and saw a friend in a madly funny show called Oeidupussy, (Spy Monkey - theatre company). Funny as it sounds! My dear Canadian hubby was stunned when my girlfriend emerged naked on stage. 'When you said we were going to see her, I didn't think you meant ALL of her!'

We had fab friends come up and visit and help us do some plumbing in our new house and had a fantastic time going out on walks (regardless of weather conditions). We spent the evenings drinking wine and just enjoying being together. It's still such a pleasure to be able to that!

So, life in our new home is fantastic. We live in a gorgeous village and we have both settled into our jobs and the routines of life. The dog is loving chasing squirrels in the back yard and my kids love seeing the sheep and cows in the back field. Lovely. I love the dawn chorus and sitting in the garden (weather permitting) to listen to the evening chorus.

Life is very varied here and that is what I so missed in Canada. I found life was the same every day and I knew exactly what to expect. In the UK, I am constantly surprised and delighted by the endless things to do - museum exhibits, theatre, invites to dinners, the movies, parks and so on.

For me variety is truly the spice of life. I feel like me again at long last and I like me! I know that sounds a little weird but I started to dislike who I was. I didn't feel funny or interesting to anyone (maybe I'm just not...) and I didn't feel like the relationships were meaningful or real. My Canadian friends RARELY if ever get in touch! Sad but true.

Anyway, I know what it is like to be waiting to come back and how scary it is. I hope this may help a little.
garden!

Sounds like you are having a great time Lilybilly and really settling back into English life. It's true you really appreciate it more after leaving for a few years.

I am looking forward to feeling alive again as I really don't here. There is just not a great variety here I am so bored there is nowhere new to go. I really struggle to find somewhere to take the kids for the day where both they and I will have fun. I am nearly 40 not nearly dead!

I don't expect my Canadian friends will stay in touch for long either. I am expecting to lose a few when I tell them I'm leaving.

Keep the updates coming. Another 15 months for me and it's going quick
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice that you are settled and happy,sounds like you certainly made the right decision to return,but I am curious about your location. Without giving too much away.........which parts of stockport do you consider to be nice ? And which parts are to be avoided? stockport seems to be central to most areas of manchester to visit family, but unsure as to which parts. Any advice is appreciated.Cheers
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:15 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

OMG just wanted to say how much I loved reading your post! I have 6 months to go before coming home and am literally counting the days! Here in FNQ it has not stopped raining for 4 days, I've been sick with a virus and stuck at home alone for 8 days now and I am climbing the walls!!!!!

I was so interested to read what you said re not being interesting to anyone cos that is how I feel! In the UK I had an awesome social life and great friends but here its like no one bothers with me and I think - have I really changed that much??!!! Lol! I'm always doing things for my Aussie mates here - helping them with study, listening to their problems, giving them advise re Europe trips, buying nice birthday presents, etc etc. In the whole time I have been off sick NOT ONE of them has even so much as texted me to ask how I am or asked if I need anything and they know I live alone, I'm so stunned by that! The only person here who has called me and offered help if I need it is my South African friend and I have had loads of texts/Facebook messages from my English friends - bless 'em! Hope this doesn't sound too whiny!! Its 2 in the morning, I can't sleep and I'm probably just feeling a little sorry for myself!!! I'm hopefully moving to the Cheshire area once I'm settled back, I do a lot of house searching on the Internet to cheer myself up, there are some lovely areas up there

Glad things are working out for you, please keep the posts coming!!!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Lilly, so glad all is going well for you.. pity I did not know you were in Leicester, we could have had a coffee!!!!!!
I am very happy for you and your family.
I love the countryside and just cant wait for the sun to shine ...
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Accept for naked women appearing on stage, how is your Canadian husband adapting to UK life? It would be interesting to hear his view. Although I'm sure a happy wife/mom makes a happy husband!

By the way it hasn't stopped raining here on Vancouver Island for the whole winter -well it seems like it, although I have seen the Sun for the last few days which is wonderful.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

lilybillyr01 - its lovely to hear your account of life back in UK. I can echo sentiments of other person on forum. My days here in AZ are so predictable, nobody calls me or my brother. Due to my lacks of friends in US I often wonder that if I ever moved back to UK - that have I changed that much that they will show same lack of interest me as others in US have? I do not think so but I think at times I've become this awful creature nobody can bear to be around. I don't think move back to UK is in cards for me for a long time. have a career I enjoy and cannot do back in UK. but over time I will earn more money and be able to back to UK more frequently. Sincerely wish you all the best!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
garden!

Sounds like you are having a great time Lilybilly and really settling back into English life. It's true you really appreciate it more after leaving for a few years.

I am looking forward to feeling alive again as I really don't here. There is just not a great variety here I am so bored there is nowhere new to go. I really struggle to find somewhere to take the kids for the day where both they and I will have fun. I am nearly 40 not nearly dead!

I don't expect my Canadian friends will stay in touch for long either. I am expecting to lose a few when I tell them I'm leaving.

Keep the updates coming. Another 15 months for me and it's going quick
Lord I didn't even notice. Too funny! I say garbage and diapers too....oh the shame....hope you are getting along ok. Hang in there. It's quite nice here! Some days are crap but many days are great,,,,it's never a big long bluuuuur of sameness. x
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by aliceinoz
Nice that you are settled and happy,sounds like you certainly made the right decision to return,but I am curious about your location. Without giving too much away.........which parts of stockport do you consider to be nice ? And which parts are to be avoided? stockport seems to be central to most areas of manchester to visit family, but unsure as to which parts. Any advice is appreciated.Cheers
That's ok. We live in Marple Bridge. Pretty, safe, old, in the country, near a train, great schools. I grew up here and never imagined I would come back but I just love it. We're right near the Pennines so that's fab too. Feel free to pm me for more info.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by MissBetty
OMG just wanted to say how much I loved reading your post! I have 6 months to go before coming home and am literally counting the days! Here in FNQ it has not stopped raining for 4 days, I've been sick with a virus and stuck at home alone for 8 days now and I am climbing the walls!!!!!

I was so interested to read what you said re not being interesting to anyone cos that is how I feel! In the UK I had an awesome social life and great friends but here its like no one bothers with me and I think - have I really changed that much??!!! Lol! I'm always doing things for my Aussie mates here - helping them with study, listening to their problems, giving them advise re Europe trips, buying nice birthday presents, etc etc. In the whole time I have been off sick NOT ONE of them has even so much as texted me to ask how I am or asked if I need anything and they know I live alone, I'm so stunned by that! The only person here who has called me and offered help if I need it is my South African friend and I have had loads of texts/Facebook messages from my English friends - bless 'em! Hope this doesn't sound too whiny!! Its 2 in the morning, I can't sleep and I'm probably just feeling a little sorry for myself!!! I'm hopefully moving to the Cheshire area once I'm settled back, I do a lot of house searching on the Internet to cheer myself up, there are some lovely areas up there

Glad things are working out for you, please keep the posts coming!!!
I had the very same experience. I did a full rupture of my achilles and saw no one. A British girl moved to the village and immediately helped me and I'd only known her for 5 mins. We're still in touch now. I just think the relationships Brits form are very real and strong. I can't live without that. I so hope you feel better. It can be very isolating on a good day but when you're sick it's just gruelling. Best wishes and healthy days ahead.

Where are you thinking in Cheshire?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:20 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Sazzer
Accept for naked women appearing on stage, how is your Canadian husband adapting to UK life? It would be interesting to hear his view. Although I'm sure a happy wife/mom makes a happy husband!

By the way it hasn't stopped raining here on Vancouver Island for the whole winter -well it seems like it, although I have seen the Sun for the last few days which is wonderful.
Glad the sun is shining at last! I remember one January when it rained every day for 331 days. My little boy aid, Mummy look, it's stopped raining!' It was torrential all month and Courtenay was flooded. BUT when Spring comes it's just gorgeous.

Canadian hubby is happy. He has a daily moan about Britain but he's enjoying life here. He too loves the variety and he's way more sociable. We hung around some odd island men.....lord they were odd. Now he can banter about politics and all sorts of stuff without fear of offending. The Brits can take a good banter so I'd say that behind the grimace he's very happy!!!

And yes, I'm happy so that helps ENORMOUSLY!
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:22 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by fulwood
lilybillyr01 - its lovely to hear your account of life back in UK. I can echo sentiments of other person on forum. My days here in AZ are so predictable, nobody calls me or my brother. Due to my lacks of friends in US I often wonder that if I ever moved back to UK - that have I changed that much that they will show same lack of interest me as others in US have? I do not think so but I think at times I've become this awful creature nobody can bear to be around. I don't think move back to UK is in cards for me for a long time. have a career I enjoy and cannot do back in UK. but over time I will earn more money and be able to back to UK more frequently. Sincerely wish you all the best!
And all the best to you. I hope the coins roll in and you can afford the time and the visits!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:21 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I had the very same experience. I did a full rupture of my achilles and saw no one. A British girl moved to the village and immediately helped me and I'd only known her for 5 mins. We're still in touch now. I just think the relationships Brits form are very real and strong. I can't live without that. I so hope you feel better. It can be very isolating on a good day but when you're sick it's just gruelling. Best wishes and healthy days ahead.

Where are you thinking in Cheshire?
Thanks for the kind thoughts. am starting to feel better at long last!!! Funny how you had a similar experience in Canada, I do miss not only my British friends but Brits in general, especially the sense of humour and how little old ladies just start up a friendly chat with you in the queue at Tescos!!!

Its getting easier now I know I am going, starting to 'detach' myself from my life here in little ways. Last night, when I couldn't sleep, I packed up 3 bags of stuff I'm not taking back for our local animal charity shop. Usually I'd give friends the first pick of anything but thought no, stuff it! I'd rather help the animals and it will certainly make me feel better! Got a text from an Aussie colleague this morning asking if I'd like to go for coffee. Not heard from her in 3 months and heard she has just split up from her boyfriend - whom she met 3 months ago! Made a polite excuse, normally I'm the first to offer a sympathetic ear/glass of vino/cup of tea in times of girlie crisis but not this time - I'm over being used!!!!

I'm not sure where in Cheshire but I have been looking at Bollington/Macclesfield way. I'm from the south coast but I prefer the north and Greater Manchester has so much to offer. University/employment prospects/entertainment/sport/shops/restaurants/nightlife, go 30 mins drive out of the city and you are in the country with affordable housing - just got to pick the right spot! I'm a paramedic so am applying to North West Ambulance so will have to see if and where I get offered a job, more than 30 mins drive after a 12 hour night shift on a Saturday is torture let me tell you!!!!!

Well I shall carry on Googling, dreaming, counting the days oh and following great stories like yours on British Expats of course!!! Cheers!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:11 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Sazzer

Spoke to a friend in Comox, on the island and she said it had been a horrendous winter! All her ski days had been grey and windy.......not like the island normally I don't think. She sounded fed up of the long winters and is now contemplating a move to New Zealand! I felt so grateful not to have the urge to move, although a move to somewhere sunny for 2 weeks or so would be nice!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:16 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks for the kind thoughts. am starting to feel better at long last!!! Funny how you had a similar experience in Canada, I do miss not only my British friends but Brits in general, especially the sense of humour and how little old ladies just start up a friendly chat with you in the queue at Tescos!!!

Its getting easier now I know I am going, starting to 'detach' myself from my life here in little ways. Last night, when I couldn't sleep, I packed up 3 bags of stuff I'm not taking back for our local animal charity shop. Usually I'd give friends the first pick of anything but thought no, stuff it! I'd rather help the animals and it will certainly make me feel better! Got a text from an Aussie colleague this morning asking if I'd like to go for coffee. Not heard from her in 3 months and heard she has just split up from her boyfriend - whom she met 3 months ago! Made a polite excuse, normally I'm the first to offer a sympathetic ear/glass of vino/cup of tea in times of girlie crisis but not this time - I'm over being used!!!!

I'm not sure where in Cheshire but I have been looking at Bollington/Macclesfield way. I'm from the south coast but I prefer the north and Greater Manchester has so much to offer. University/employment prospects/entertainment/sport/shops/restaurants/nightlife, go 30 mins drive out of the city and you are in the country with affordable housing - just got to pick the right spot! I'm a paramedic so am applying to North West Ambulance so will have to see if and where I get offered a job, more than 30 mins drive after a 12 hour night shift on a Saturday is torture let me tell you!!!!!

Well I shall carry on Googling, dreaming, counting the days oh and following great stories like yours on British Expats of course!!! Cheers!
Macclesfield is lovely! Cheshire is just very pretty indeed. Other options could be near Stepping Hill (fab hospital) and close to some lovely areas. It's about 10 mins from us.....and there are some pretty areas around here. Broadbottom is one of my fave villages as well as Charlesworth. They're very rural but have amazing communities that attract a mixed crowd these days. Lots of city types escaping the city so everyone's not chewing hay!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.