Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Keep copies of all correspondence.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

They seem to change their address frequently so its very confusing and inefficient must be terrible for the people who work there.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Benson55
They seem to change their address frequently so its very confusing and inefficient must be terrible for the people who work there.
My first application disappeared into the ether. I would advise everyone to send registered mail.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 5:15 am
Just Joined

NAntonio is an unknown quantity at this point

They take 6 weeks to respond usually as well, absolutely outdated
Old Mar 29th 2018, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

They take around 4 months to reply to me....
Old May 1st 2018, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

riri2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update...

My online account has finally been updated to show that the 7 years I was eligible to back-pay have been paid in full. They initially allocated everything to the current tax year, but after a month and a half wait, everything is allocated in the correct year.

All that needs to be done now is for the tax office to restart the collection of direct debit payments for the current years allowance.

So, i'm happy to say that this long and (very annoying) process is almost finally over after around six months. Good luck to you guys who are still going through this!
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riri2010
Just a quick update...

My online account has finally been updated to show that the 7 years I was eligible to back-pay have been paid in full. They initially allocated everything to the current tax year, but after a month and a half wait, everything is allocated in the correct year.

All that needs to be done now is for the tax office to restart the collection of direct debit payments for the current years allowance.

So, i'm happy to say that this long and (very annoying) process is almost finally over after around six months. Good luck to you guys who are still going through this!
Well done, thanks for the update, it sounds like you are on the home stretch now. Hopefully you’ll soon get your ongoing direct debits sorted.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Seems they update the pension amount in April and now the site shows I am up to 154PDS a week with 37 years contributions with the additional voluntary I have paid them.
Old May 3rd 2018, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Seems they update the pension amount in April and now the site shows I am up to 154PDS a week with 37 years contributions with the additional voluntary I have paid them.
Presumably you have stopped making voluntary contributions now because the pension maxes out after 35 years.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:04 am
Just Joined

dossier is an unknown quantity at this point

Would I be right in thinking that you can get a full UK state pension with 35 qualifying years through, say, 35 years of voluntary Class 3 contributions? i.e. say you have never worked in the UK, but you just start making Voluntary Class 3 payments each year?

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dossier
Would I be right in thinking that you can get a full UK state pension with 35 qualifying years through, say, 35 years of voluntary Class 3 contributions? i.e. say you have never worked in the UK, but you just start making Voluntary Class 3 payments each year?

Thanks
I don't think you can do that, see below

Living and working abroad​​​​​​ -Class 2, but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for 3 years in a row and paid 3 years of contributions
Living abroad but not working - Class 3, but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK continuously for 3 years and paid 3 years of contributions
https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:27 am
Just Joined

So if you grow up in the UK, pay 3 years of voluntary contributions after age 16, and then emigrate, you can continue paying voluntary class 3 until you get to 35 years of contributions?

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2018, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

So if you grow up in the UK, pay 3 years of voluntary contributions after age 16, and then emigrate, you can continue paying voluntary class 3 until you get to 35 years of contributions?

Thanks
I believe you have to have paid at least 3 years NI contributions through employment or self employment before being allowed to pay additional voluntary contributions. (Through employment it is not voluntary and is a tax on wages)
Old Jul 13th 2018, 9:35 am
Just Joined

I thought anyone (in the UK) could start paying voluntary Class 3 NICs if they are not working + over 16? There's nothing in the CA5603 application to suggest otherwise?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ons_CA5603.pdf
Old Jul 13th 2018, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I thought anyone (in the UK) could start paying voluntary Class 3 NICs if they are not working + over 16? There's nothing in the CA5603 application to suggest otherwise?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ons_CA5603.pdf
i would call them to confirm before completing the application form in the link you quoted because it requires dates from your last employment. Can you leave that blank? I don’t really know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.