Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

Wikiposts

VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:38 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

There are only certain routes by which you can bring an animal into the UK. "Route" doesn't mean method - it is literal as in "place". Adding another country into the mix just complicates things.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/files/pets-air-routes.pdf

Routes by sea:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/files/pets-sea-rail-routes.pdf

The airline determines how the pet flies. Usually as cargo.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
The most important thing right now is to know what I have to get from the vet now when he gets the chip and rabies shot. I wonder if there is a special form to be filled out now, or if I just get the certs. for each thing.
Just certificates for now, is what my vet said. He fills in the form at the end, when he does the tapeworm treatment.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
There are only certain routes by which you can bring an animal into the UK. "Route" doesn't mean method - it is literal as in "place". Adding another country into the mix just complicates things.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/files/pets-air-routes.pdf

The airline determines how the pet flies. Usually as cargo.
True - luckily the ferry into Harwich is an approved route. ISTR it's quite a comprehensive list.

There's a distinction between "cargo" and "excess baggage". For the pet it's the same, but the ticket is different.

I transported a pet a long time ago using one of those pet transport companies, and THAT was complicated. They seemed to delight in making everything into a drama, I guess to justify their exhorbitant fees. Very stressful for all concerned.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happyglow
I transported a pet a long time ago using one of those pet transport companies, and THAT was complicated. They seemed to delight in making everything into a drama, I guess to justify their exhorbitant fees. Very stressful for all concerned.
.... and I'd just like to add, if that was the only option this time around we'd flipping SWIM it!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:56 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

True - luckily the ferry into Harwich is an approved route. ISTR it's quite a comprehensive list.

There's a distinction between "cargo" and "excess baggage". For the pet it's the same, but the ticket is different.

I agree that those companies aren't necessary. The DEFRA regs were simplified about a year ago. I don't see the angst-ridden threads I use to see, so the simplification must be working.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree that those companies aren't necessary. The DEFRA regs were simplified about a year ago. I don't see the angst-ridden threads I use to see, so the simplification must be working.
Very glad to hear it! I wonder why the UK insists that incoming dogs on flights have to use the "cargo" system, unlike mainland europe. The cynic in me suspects that somebody somewhere finds it a nice little earner, and is greasing a few palms. Tut tut.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:11 pm
WhiteRabbit

Very glad to hear it! I wonder why the UK insists that incoming dogs on flights have to use the "cargo" system, unlike mainland europe. The cynic in me suspects that somebody somewhere finds it a nice little earner, and is greasing a few palms. Tut tut.
If coming by air, I was under the impression that it's more a matter of airline regulations..............
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

If coming by air, I was under the impression that it's more a matter of airline regulations..............
Apparently it's DEFRA. There's an explanation here: http://www.mike-jess.com/2012/05/why...my-pet-in.html
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

Apparently it's DEFRA. There's an explanation here: http://www.mike-jess.com/2012/05/why...my-pet-in.html
Interesting. Thanks for that. *I had a weiner dog once. Miss him to bits*