Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Very overwhelmed - advice please

Very overwhelmed - advice please

Old May 22nd 2022, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

AlyWhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very overwhelmed - advice please

I have lived in the US since 1998, and ready to move back to Wales.
I have been reading a lot of posts and have just gotten really overwhelmed with everything.
i know I am probably looking to move in 12 - 18 months, so I do have time. But for those who made the move. What did you initially start doing to prepare? I have 2 small dogs and a cat. And would need to rent. So much to do!!!
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very overwhelmed - advice please

Originally Posted by AlyWhitaker
I have lived in the US since 1998, and ready to move back to Wales.
I have been reading a lot of posts and have just gotten really overwhelmed with everything.
i know I am probably looking to move in 12 - 18 months, so I do have time. But for those who made the move. What did you initially start doing to prepare? I have 2 small dogs and a cat. And would need to rent. So much to do!!!
Hi, welcome to BE.

Is it just you, or do you need to sponsor a spouse for a visa? If it's just you then it's much easier (assuming you're a UK citizen of course). Dogs and cats complicate things slightly, but you can usually find an AirBnB to rent that will take pets (or even hotel, lots of pet friendly ones), whilst you find a more permanent solution. If you search the forum you'll find lots of recommendations for pet relocation services who should do most of it for you and take some stress away at least.

Good luck with it.
Old May 22nd 2022, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Is it just you, or do you need to sponsor a spouse for a visa? If it's just you then it's much easier (assuming you're a UK citizen of course). Dogs and cats complicate things slightly, but you can usually find an AirBnB to rent that will take pets (or even hotel, lots of pet friendly ones), whilst you find a more permanent solution. If you search the forum you'll find lots of recommendations for pet relocation services who should do most of it for you and take some stress away at least.

Good luck with it.
Thanks!
Yes will just be me and my animals and yes, I am UK citizen. I was reading about a facebook group that pair other people wanting to go to UK with their pets and chartering a jet. Which I’ll probably look into just to have them travel safely and in the cabin with me.

For now I’m just taking one step at a time, and plan on reducing a lot of stuff I have accrued over the years. Sell some of it and put the money in savings.
I’ll keep reading the forums and take notes as I go along.

It’s a big change. But I’m actually looking forward to it.
Old May 23rd 2022, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Yes will just be me and my animals and yes, I am UK citizen. I was reading about a facebook group that pair other people wanting to go to UK with their pets and chartering a jet. Which I’ll probably look into just to have them travel safely and in the cabin with me.

For now I’m just taking one step at a time, and plan on reducing a lot of stuff I have accrued over the years. Sell some of it and put the money in savings.
I’ll keep reading the forums and take notes as I go along.

It’s a big change. But I’m actually looking forward to it.
Chartering a jet ..... wow, even with a group that could cost tens of thousands to the UK !!!
Old May 23rd 2022, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Chartering a jet ..... wow, even with a group that could cost tens of thousands to the UK !!!
The latest one they have running this summer is 7-10k for 1 human and 2 dogs. If you really think about it. Not too bad since shipping companies can charge 2-3k per pet.
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The latest one they have running this summer is 7-10k for 1 human and 2 dogs. If you really think about it. Not too bad since shipping companies can charge 2-3k per pet.
Agreed ..... at it saves you all that hassle when one has to go on a commercial flight.
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a British citizen "moving back", you have it relatively easy, as at the minimum effort end of the scale, as long as you have a passport, which doesn't even need to be current, you can just buy a plane ticket and go home.

Aside from the matter of your pets, which have been discussed above, I think your priority over the next six months needs to be organize your "stuff", decide what you want to take with you, and then sell, donate, or toss the stuff you won't be taking with you. That will make it easier to decide what sort of shipping service you need, and whether you can self-pack or need the services of a full-service international moving company.
Old May 23rd 2022, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

MrFlibble is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to consider a Cunard transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton. They allow pets on board( Link ) as they have kennels available. Cheaper than chartering a plane.
Old May 23rd 2022, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That is good, much less than I'd have expected (I've chartered jets for various employers over the years and it's been way more than that!). Presumably you'd have fees to import the animals to add on to that?

And does the jet cost include everything too? Often there are additional costs which can be as much as the fare again i.e. overnight crew fees, airport fees, taxes, repositioning fee, etc, so make sure that includes everything and you won't be hit with a load of charges you weren't expecting.
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As a British citizen "moving back", you have it relatively easy, as at the minimum effort end of the scale, as long as you have a passport, which doesn't even need to be current, you can just buy a plane ticket and go home.

Aside from the matter of your pets, which have been discussed above, I think your priority over the next six months needs to be organize your "stuff", decide what you want to take with you, and then sell, donate, or toss the stuff you won't be taking with you. That will make it easier to decide what sort of shipping service you need, and whether you can self-pack or need the services of a full-service international moving company.
Yes, you're right - and I think that's what I'm going to focus on right now and figure out the rest a little later. I'm going to try and reduce "stuff" as much as I possibly can and just live frugally for the next 12 months.
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrFlibble
You might want to consider a Cunard transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton. They allow pets on board( ) as they have kennels available. Cheaper than chartering a plane.
Thanks! I'll check it out, but other posts have stated there is a pretty long waiting list.
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That is good, much less than I'd have expected (I've chartered jets for various employers over the years and it's been way more than that!). Presumably you'd have fees to import the animals to add on to that?

And does the jet cost include everything too? Often there are additional costs which can be as much as the fare again i.e. overnight crew fees, airport fees, taxes, repositioning fee, etc, so make sure that includes everything and you won't be hit with a load of charges you weren't expecting.
So someone in the group starts the scheduling process, and then each passenger pays the charter company direct. But charter flights look like they cost around 77k one way (The one in July does anyway). So if you shared that with 10 passengers - it works out. I haven't seen anyone mention additional fees other than making sure you have the correct paperwork (rabies etc) for your pets on arrival. I'm still new to the group, but so far it looks a lot more comfortable easy going through customs etc..
Old May 26th 2022, 1:14 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Ally,

lol, chartering a jet, really.
That's extremely unlikely and very expensive.

If you have 18 months to go then just book a transatlantic cruise on the queen Mary. will cost $2000 or so for the cats and about $800 for the human.
Old May 26th 2022, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by excpomea
Ally,

lol, chartering a jet, really.
That's extremely unlikely and very expensive.

If you have 18 months to go then just book a transatlantic cruise on the queen Mary. will cost $2000 or so for the cats and about $800 for the human.

I would prefer not to wait 18 months.. if I can get to UK in 6 months, I will. You should take a look at this Facebook group. A bunch of people chartering a jet and sharing the cost is very real and happens several times a year.. check out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/271983317342001/
And at around 8k total, it's not that expensive considering pet shipping companies charge thousands per pet. At this point.. this is my best option.
Old May 26th 2022, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer not to wait 18 months.. if I can get to UK in 6 months, I will. You should take a look at this Facebook group. A bunch of people chartering a jet and sharing the cost is very real and happens several times a year.. check out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/271983317342001/
And at around 8k total, it's not that expensive considering pet shipping companies charge thousands per pet. At this point.. this is my best option.

It is something we considered when we moved almost 30 years ago. People often transport dogs for dog shows using private jets…it was possible then to hitch a ride.