Wikiposts

Utterly confused...

Old May 15th 2013, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

megabyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utterly confused...

I have done searches on this forum and web searches galore and I am none the wiser. There are forms, rules, limits, etc at every bend. Some of you have helped me before, but I would love a dummies step-by-step guide on how to do this:

I am American, he is British, married in UK over 25 years ago, retired and would like to move to the States. We would like to move as quickly as possible meaning not waiting ages for paper-work to go through.

So dear gurus, can you help?
Old May 15th 2013, 12:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utterly confused...

Only to advise patience while the paperwork goes through. There are no shortcuts, and trying to find one e.g. travelling under the VWP or on a non-immigrant visa and trying to adjust status is fraught with danger, typically risking a ban from entering the US.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:01 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

1) File an I-130 direct to the visa section in London to get the ball rolling, search 'DCF' to get information relevant to you situation.

2) Be prepared to wait, DCF is quicker but even so will take around 6 months. There are no shortcuts.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megabyte
We would like to move as quickly as possible...
As long as you understand that "as quickly as possible" means 4-6 months after you submit the I-130, then you won't have any unrealistic expectations. You, as a USC, can move back to the US at any time. Your non-USC husband, however, must wait until a visa is issued.

... meaning not waiting ages for paper-work to go through.
With respect, this is an unrealistic expectation. The US doesn't admit anyone to the US without due process... and 4-6 months is "as quickly as possible".

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 15th 2013 at 2:14 am.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigrant-visas.html

If this is too confusing for you, you are a good candicate for a consultation with a US immigration attorney. (Note that there is a difference between having a consultation with a lawyer and retaining a lawyer.)

Regards, JEff

I would love a dummies step-by-step guide on how to do this:
Old May 15th 2013, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are in the same situation as you and your husband. I am UKC, Mrs C is USC. You will have to send in all the forms and collect all your papers.

The wife sent in the I-130 towards the end of January this year. We are waiting on the Interview letter. We are hoping to move to US at the start of August.
Old May 15th 2013, 3:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done searches on this forum and web searches galore and I am none the wiser. There are forms, rules, limits, etc at every bend. Some of you have helped me before, but I would love a dummies step-by-step guide on how to do this:
You can try reading our Wiki Guide and see if that helps: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London

When researching, narrow your search down to the terms "DCF" or "Filing I-130 in London". Don't read anything regarding any other type of visa but an Immigrant Visa (CR-1 or IR-1 - yours will be IR-1 after being married so long, but CR-1 is the same process). Only read about cases filed in London (not filed in the USA or any other consulate).

I am American, he is British, married in UK over 25 years ago, retired and would like to move to the States. We would like to move as quickly as possible meaning not waiting ages for paper-work to go through.
Yours won't take ages, don't worry. You have the advantage of filing the I-130 directly to London, which is currently taking between 4 - 6 months.

Yes!

Rene
Old May 15th 2013, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The others have responded as to how you get to the States ...... I am going to ask if you have thought about health insurance? As you are retired and have been living in the UK for years, it is unlikely you are going to be eligible for Medicare unless you pay for all parts of it.

Have you budgeted for several hundred of dollars a month?
Old May 15th 2013, 6:13 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The others have responded as to how you get to the States ...... I am going to ask if you have thought about health insurance? As you are retired and have been living in the UK for years, it is unlikely you are going to be eligible for Medicare unless you pay for all parts of it.

Have you budgeted for several hundred of dollars a month?
Think $557 a month each just for Medicare parts A & B, without taking a part D drug plan. That's if the UK citizen would even be eligible for any form of Medicare.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Wife might consider starting the process to get UK citizenship just to preserve options if they ever want to move back to the UK. (It's becoming increasingly difficult for UK citizens to sponsor a spouse)
Old May 15th 2013, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lansbury
Think $557 a month each just for Medicare parts A & B, without taking a part D drug plan. That's if the UK citizen would even be eligible for any form of Medicare.
My experience with my parents is still limited, but he may have to wait for five years before he is eligible to purchase Medicare insurance. I am not sure if being a spouse to a USC makes any difference at all. Another consideration is whether the USC has the 40 credits to qualify and then pass the benefit, if not now, later to the UKC spouse.

Also, I have tried to find out if Obamacare covers recent immigrants - with pay - after the age of 64, but it does not seem to. If anyone knows different or more on the issue please let me know.
Old May 15th 2013, 12:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Also, I have tried to find out if Obamacare covers recent immigrants - with pay - after the age of 64, but it does not seem to. If anyone knows different or more on the issue please let me know.
There is generally a five year ban on new immigrants having access to things like Medicaid or Medicare, the government managed insurance programs. In some states portions of the programs are made available to some immigrants, for example care for pregnant women or for children.

Obamacare is not necessarily a new NHS-like system. There are things called "health insurance exchanges" that will allow people to more easily buy insurance (hopefully), but some of the prices may be quite steep even in this new system. Immigrants ARE allowed to participate in these exchanges, nicknamed HIX or HIE, but the establishment is not yet complete and there are likely to be some issues over the next few years.

http://www.nilc.org/immigrantshcr.html
http://www.californiahealthline.org/...expansion.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_...ce_marketplace

If you are over 50 and coming to the US, the very first question you should be answering is "how are we going to afford health insurance?" A monthly premium of $500 would be on the low end to be honest. Over 60s could easily see $1,000 a month. It is a MAJOR issue that needs to be sorted before you even apply for immigration and, quite honestly, something that STOPS some people from moving to the USA.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just speculating, but the OP may be Medicare eligible, since she states she is retired and has been married to a British person in the UK for over twenty five years. So, she may be 65+ (or soon to be 65+) and lived and worked in the US for many years before coming to the UK to marry..
Old May 15th 2013, 1:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just speculating, but the OP may be Medicare eligible, since she states she is retired and has been married to a British person in the UK for over twenty five years. So, she may be 65+ (or soon to be 65+) and lived and worked in the US for many years before coming to the UK to marry..
Would that make her spouse eligible as well? Always wondered about that.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Would that make her spouse eligible as well? Always wondered about that.
Yes, it would. If the US spouse has the necessary 40 credits for Medicare eligibility the the UK spouse would also be eligible for Medicare in most cases.

It would be interesting to know if the OP is eligible for Medicare, or whether health insurance is something they have not taken into consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.