Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Using you all as sounding board if you don't mind?

Using you all as sounding board if you don't mind?

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using you all as sounding board if you don't mind?

Originally Posted by z1565124
Does anyone know what they want in 40 years? All I can do is try to paint the best picture, warts and all, of what challenges she will face:
  • Driving or not and that loss of independence if she does not drive which may be safer for the islands enhabitants.
  • Weather, though we are both done with Chicago weather so don't think this will be an issue.
  • Being a foreigner, which can suck.
  • Negative perception and stereotypes of Americans being voiced to her.
  • Work enviroment and drop considerable drop in pay if she has to work.

S0 we'll keep talking about it over the next couple of years, and we'll have a couple of trips back again and take it form there.
If she has already lived there then that helps. Is work environment really going to be worse?

Negative perception of Americans is sometimes brought up on here, I don't think that's a big issue, far more British people are very positive about the US. I am always told how fantastic my life must be when I go back to visit
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

z1565124 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Sally Redux;11185605] Is work environment really going to be worse?

[QUOTE]

I don't know to be honest? But it will be different I would think and that could be another stress.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She sounds like the mirror image of the oft-seen (on BE's USA forum) "British dreamer" who has "always dreamed of living in America". Does she really know that that living in the UK is what she wants for the next, say 40-50 years?
With the subset..the Florida Fancier cause they've actually been there and it was fantastic! And that's a fact!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
With the subset..the Florida Fancier cause they've actually been there and it was fantastic! And that's a fact!
Live there. Not fantastic. Endless sunshine and heat is overrated. I would be happy with overcast skies for the rest of my days
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are established in Chicago, I would say consider selling up the house in Chicago, buying a relatively cheap condo with an unshared single car garage in a gated community in Florida and moving your "stuff" there. Items of somewhat sentimental value especially. The kind of place less wealthy snowbirds buy. No big heating or cooling expense or security worries when you are not there.

And it is there as a pied-a-terre in the event your UK plans don't work out as well as expected. Or if you need a month back in the States to remind yourself why you need to be in Europe

Somewhere within an hour's drive of the Orlando airports might be optimal. For cheap flights.