Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Using a pet shipping company or doing it alone?

Using a pet shipping company or doing it alone?

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Default Using a pet shipping company or doing it alone?

Have I got this right?

Do you have to use a pet shipping company ( eg. james Cargo etc) to get your dogs back to the UK from the US or can you just simply book everything yourself with , say, BA cargo and save the added expense?

I know alot have used these companies...but what are the benefits v. the additional cost?

Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a pet shipping company or doing it alone?

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
Have I got this right?

Do you have to use a pet shipping company ( eg. james Cargo etc) to get your dogs back to the UK from the US or can you just simply book everything yourself with , say, BA cargo and save the added expense?

I know alot have used these companies...but what are the benefits v. the additional cost?

Or am I missing something?
You can do it yourself (I've done it three times). The main advantage of using a professional company is it's one less headache to deal with. I think the additional cost probably pales in comparison to the total costs of moving countries. I'd definitely consider it if I did it again.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

bizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nice

I think Continental will let you travel with your pets as long as you follow the PETS regulations. I think they limit up to 4 animals, is that correct. I will be having to take my pets with me and I was told at first that I would have to have them all shipped and then pick them up, or have them picked up, but then I saw on the Continental airlines that you can actually travel with them, you just have to let them know to make sure they have room.

How did you get your animals to the UK from the US?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bizzymum
I think Continental will let you travel with your pets as long as you follow the PETS regulations. I think they limit up to 4 animals, is that correct. I will be having to take my pets with me and I was told at first that I would have to have them all shipped and then pick them up, or have them picked up, but then I saw on the Continental airlines that you can actually travel with them, you just have to let them know to make sure they have room.

How did you get your animals to the UK from the US?
Were you asking me?

If so, I used BA every time. First time (US-UK), Suzy went cargo, unaccompanied (because I had already returned to the UK - a friend took her to cargo in Atlanta and put her on the plane).

Next time (UK-US), she went as additional baggage (same place, in the hold, just classed differently), as I was on the same plane.

Last time (US-UK), she went as cargo even though I was on the same plane, because PETS scheme requires them to be shipped as cargo (just a money-maker if you ask me, blinkin ticket cost about $1,800).
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

bizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nice

So when you used BA and put on in the hold did you have to put her in quarantine for 6mths? I am looking at Northern England as my destination and found a thread stating that the Birmingham quarantine place was pretty good. I wonder if it is cheaper for them to go through quarantine than through the PETS scheme.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by bizzymum
So when you used BA and put on in the hold did you have to put her in quarantine for 6mths? I am looking at Northern England as my destination and found a thread stating that the Birmingham quarantine place was pretty good. I wonder if it is cheaper for them to go through quarantine than through the PETS scheme.
First time yes (this was before PETS), second time no (as I indicated in my last post).

No, quarantine is not cheaper. You'd stilll have to ship cargo class into the UK due to DEFRA regulations, if I understand correctly. Quarantine is 6 months of kennling at around £10 a day - you do the maths (£1,800?).

The PETS stuff (pre-shipping) cost me about $500 US, if I recall ...

If you have follow-up questions, hit the "quote" button, that way it's easier to tell who you are responding to ...
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
First time yes (this was before PETS), second time no (as I indicated in my last post).

No, quarantine is not cheaper. You'd stilll have to ship cargo class into the UK due to DEFRA regulations, if I understand correctly. Quarantine is 6 months of kennling at around £10 a day - you do the maths (£1,800?).

The PETS stuff (pre-shipping) cost me about $500 US, if I recall ...

If you have follow-up questions, hit the "quote" button, that way it's easier to tell who you are responding to ...
Thanks about the quoting....

PETS seems very doable. I have been wanting a REAL amount of what it will cost to take my pets. I now need to get the airlines to quote an amount. I have a Bullmastiff mix that is my sweetheart and can't bear to leave behind. Again, I do have a mini zoo and will have family taking a couple of them, but the majority will be coming with me. I know my birds will be another feat.

The biggest relief is that I can actually travel WITH my dogs as opposed to just shipping them.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

I don't really see the point or the cost of using a shipper. The PETS scheme isn't too difficult, once you get your head around it, and if you have a Vet that pretty much knows what they are doing, mine has been brilliant. On the DEFRA site there are several airlines you can use.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...s-longhaul.htm
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We've shipped our boxer twice without using a company. Both times Virgin Cargo between LHR and SFO.
Check breed exclusions and also time of year you plan to go as summer months are often a problem in hotter spots.

Residential quaratine was not required either time. We did 'quaratine at home'
I think a test was done at a 4 month interval. Second one close to time of travel and she went no problems.
If you flyinto LHR you collect your pet from the Animal Centre.

Our tickets were in the neighbourhood of $1400 each way.