Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Using a friend or relative as a UK address for DL etc, can it cause problems

Using a friend or relative as a UK address for DL etc, can it cause problems

Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using a friend or relative as a UK address for DL etc, can it cause problems

I am not in this position, but, there are a number of people on BE who use a friend's or relative's address for convenience for DL etc. If the relative or friend is single and claiming the single persons council tax relief could that be putting them in some sort of problem with the authorities if there is an investigation for any reason.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:24 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a friend or relative as a UK address for DL etc, can it cause problems

indeed, covered in the other thread

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...or-pensioners/

from citizens advice ...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...-circumstance/

"Council Tax Reduction - reporting a change of circumstance
If your circumstances change while you're getting Council Tax Reduction (CTR) you should tell your local authority as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may get too much CTR and have to pay some of it back. Or you might get too little. There are some changes that everyone who gets CTR must report. There are also certain changes you must report if you get Pension Credit.

Changes that everyone getting CTR must report

If you get CTR you must tell the local authority about any changes in your circumstances which you could reasonably be expected to know might affect your entitlement to CTR or the amount of CTR you get.

However, you don't need to report changes in the ages of yourself or family members, unless a young person in your family is no longer a dependant child."
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:41 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a friend or relative as a UK address for DL etc, can it cause problems

for information purposes only

The full list of all benefits, pensions, allowances etc, from April 2016

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...16_to_2017.pdf

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/

Last edited by not2old; Jan 14th 2016 at 9:46 am.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I used my mother's address for my UK bank for eight years while I was in Canada. I am part owner of her house. Her council tax was not affected. Nor should it have been, because I wasn't actually resident there.

I did it because I needed UK banking facilities, but I wasn't sure whether my bank would allow me to keep my old account if I was resident abroad. if If my bank had raised the issue of whether I was resident in the UK, I would have just owned up.

I think it might be a bit trickier with a driving licence, from a legal point of view. But, I'd be more worried about whether I was driving legally, than whether the actual resident of the property got charged more council tax.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I used my mother's address for my UK bank for eight years while I was in Canada. I am part owner of her house. Her council tax was not affected. Nor should it have been, because I wasn't actually resident there.

I did it because I needed UK banking facilities, but I wasn't sure whether my bank would allow me to keep my old account if I was resident abroad. if If my bank had raised the issue of whether I was resident in the UK, I would have just owned up. ....
In that kind of circumstance the simplest thing to do is to give your trusted relative the power to act on your behalf with the bank. Banks have routine paperwork for that and it is a perfectly valid reason as to why the address is used as a forwarding address for bank statements of whatever.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

I did it because I needed UK banking facilities, but I wasn't sure whether my bank would allow me to keep my old account if I was resident abroad. if If my bank had raised the issue of whether I was resident in the UK, I would have just owned up.
Originally Posted by holly_1948
In that kind of circumstance the simplest thing to do is to give your trusted relative the power to act on your behalf with the bank. Banks have routine paperwork for that and it is a perfectly valid reason as to why the address is used as a forwarding address for bank statements of whatever.
Until she died, I too used my mother's address in England for bank correspondence. I now use my sister's address. No need for POA. Bank was & is perfectly aware I'm not resident, & it hasn't affected council tax.

DL is a different kettle of fish. For the DL to be *legal* to use it to drive in the UK, one *does* need to be physically resident. I still hold a valid UK DL. To renew it/use it to legally drive there, I'd need to re-establish residency in the UK. The fact that it has a family member's address on it hasn't affected said family member's council tax.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I am not in this position, but, there are a number of people on BE who use a friend's or relative's address for convenience for DL etc.
Interestingly it could bring into play a power of arrest if stopped for a motoring offence as the officer might have reasonable doubt the address given is the persons real address. Used that a few time when it was a Sec 25 PACE power, but it still seems to apply under the Serious Organized Crime and Police Act powers of arrest.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 15th 2016 at 9:43 pm.