Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Use Company or own 20' container - What to do!!??....

Use Company or own 20' container - What to do!!??....

Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice
Default Use Company or own 20' container - What to do!!??....

I have mates in the shipping world & have got a good price on my own 20 foot container, self packing from Canada to England. Other chums are going to deal with the paperwork, for a price. All in, this is the most cost effective scenario by far!!

My quandary is, had a guy round from a moving company to get a second quote. He filled me with nightmare stories about self-shippers and the problems they regularly encounter. He said Customs & Excise swoop on self-ship containers with glee & go through them with a tooth comb, charging you vast fees for doing so. Clearly there is nothing elicit going on but I am concerned at damage/delays/additional costs/paperwork etc etc. :curse::curse:

I'd be grateful for your thoughts and experiences please!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Use Company or own 20' container - What to do!!??....

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
I have mates in the shipping world & have got a good price on my own 20 foot container, self packing from Canada to England. Other chums are going to deal with the paperwork, for a price. All in, this is the most cost effective scenario by far!!

My quandary is, had a guy round from a moving company to get a second quote. He filled me with nightmare stories about self-shippers and the problems they regularly encounter. He said Customs & Excise swoop on self-ship containers with glee & go through them with a tooth comb, charging you vast fees for doing so. Clearly there is nothing elicit going on but I am concerned at damage/delays/additional costs/paperwork etc etc. :curse::curse:

I'd be grateful for your thoughts and experiences please!!
Personally for something like this I'd rather suck up the cost than rely on friends sometimes favours are more hassle than they're worth. Also moving back is stressful enough without adding more worry.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:02 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Elaine. Having just come back and only shipping a 3rd of a container. The work involved is something you really dont need at a time like this.
It is also true about the risk of customs going through all your stuff. We packed all our own boxes for the shippers, but when they turned up they said it would be best if we allowed them to repack them as if they put on the forms that we did it ourselves there is a high risk of customs going through it all. They were really nice guys and it didnt cost us anymore so i guess they were telling the truth.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Hi Guys,

I work in inbound here in Perth, maybe even cleared a few of you on here through customs and AQIS. Anything that is PBO - packed by owner is highlighted by someone like myself - I am AQIS trained and AQIS then go through everything that I highlight on the inventory.

My advice, let the professionals do it, all of it, of course there are horror stories, that things get broken, go missing etc.

FYI - ALL containers coming into Australia go through AQIS inspection, they are not picked at random.

Please look at my other thread a few months ago titled Shipping info FAQpart 1 & 2, I wrote this earlier to help answer peoples questions on the procedures involved in bringing in Personal effects. Hope it helps

Sal x