Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

USA to UK being sentimental or a sensible choice

USA to UK being sentimental or a sensible choice

Old Mar 28th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default Re: USA to UK being sentimental or a sensible choice

Originally Posted by BlubellsInTheForest
Thank you for your responses everyone.
As I haven't been back to the UK in 12 years, it is very difficult to even remember what it is like to live there.

It would be hard to replicate our school and this small town community support, but not impossible.

My husband and I have a wonderful lifestyle business. We both work about 35 hours a week (together) which enables us to take our children to school and we are all together when they are on breaks. My 15yr old is just about to start her required volunteer project with us, so has been researching constructivist education, which makes me so happy that she will have a great understanding of her parents educational objectives (despite the fact she wants nothing to do with education when she leaves school)!

I have found the best friends of my life, here in Colorado. Luckily they all have the means to travel to the UK for extended holidays!

If I had a magic wand (excellent idea):

My school would be in the UK in the Stratford upon avon area, near our close friends.
My husband and I would continue to work together, either in a school setting or some other creative business.
My daughter would continue her education in an American style high school rather than have to do A'levels.
We would wipe our slate clean (no, we can't go bankrupt in the USA) by moving to the UK.

I won't make the choice to go back to the UK and throw away the school, but if they tell me to go back, I will do so happily. Our friend is in a position to sponsor me for my greencard, so if we get approved we will do that, gradually sort out our debts and start living again. Maybe that will stop my homesickness.

Has anyone else not returned for 10yrs or more, moved back and felt like they didn't fit in in the UK? All my friends over here are American. There are 3 local UK families in our town and I find that I have nothing in common with them. Am I going to be a fish out of water in the UK?

Hoping to hear other people's experiences and perception of the UK upon moving back after a long time away.

Thank you!
Hi there, I can understand your thought's about moving back to the UK. To answer your last question, yes I'm afraid you will feel like a fish out of water in many way's. Perhaps if I explain my situation it may or may not help you.
I and my then 5 year old Daughter (now 38) moved to the States with my then new wife in 1982 ( since divorced ) in 2010. When we arrived in the US I got a job and so did my wife and over the years went upwards and upwards. Between us we were bringing in a salary 175K USD. we were able to buy three houses, one in Northern Virginia, Las Vegas Nevada and bought a rental property in Delaware. All gone now.

We were able to come to the UK on vacation at least twice a year. My then wife and I always said that wouldn't it be nice to return to the UK when we retire. However on vacation you see the country through rose colored glasses but in true reality on moving back here in 2012 it is not the country I left in 1982. Perhaps I'm more American than English I am a duel citizen holding both passports. So back here I came and I'm so disappointed in every aspect, just to many to mention.
I can assure you will feel like a fish out of water. I do wish you luck however in whatever you choose to do, but give it a lot of thought. FYI only a blood relative or employer can sponsor for a Green Card.

Last edited by London1947; Mar 28th 2014 at 5:21 pm. Reason: Change
Old May 11th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlubellsInTheForest
I'm afraid I can't visit as it is unlikely I would get the actual visa stamped in my passport for my return to US.

You might be right about the grief but I also think any sane person would have given up by now and gone home. I don't know why I keep extending my stay, thinking it is going to get better. I think I stay because I am in a "better the devil you know" situation and I am frightened to return and be homeless and jobless. We have also lost so much money here that I want to try and recoup it but at the same time I don't want money to determine where I live.

I do not know my own mind, so it is probably best that USCIS is going to decide for me.

My friend has offered me a job that my lawyer deems worthy of an immigrant visa.
Why do you need a visa stamp. Don't you hold a UK passport?

PS. I see now that you need it for the return to the US. I had assumed you were a US citizen.

I have to tell you I have been here 30 years and stability today in the US just does not exist. But, all that aside, home is home. I never wanted to come here and came with my mother when she remarried and moved here. Finding this forum validated my own feelings. I have been home sick ever since I got here. Yes, there were good times here - but shallow ones. I faked it a lot. Homesickness was with me the entire time and now I listen to those feelings. They have become more intense as I get older, so I am making plans to go home - finally. I tried to survive here but the feelings wouldn't go away and nor will they until I return.

Last edited by windsong; May 11th 2014 at 5:20 pm.
Old May 12th 2014, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Victorinox is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in an African-Commonwealth country and grew up in London. Had some difficult situations in my life culminating in me moving to the US about 2 years ago. Up until that point, I never really knew where I belonged.

I have been fortunate enough to go back twice in 6 months, but prior to that, hadn't been back in almost 20 months.

I can't just move back to the UK, as I am at a crucial stage in my career, but if being in the US has done anything for me, it has made me realize that the UK is my HOME.

Just going back to London to see how cosmopolitan it is and how much more civilized social discourse in the UK is warms my heart. The two times I have been back, I find myself gorging on simple British sandwiches (Pret A Manger all the way!), marveling at how wonderfully simple it is to get around on the Tube and even finding beauty in the mundane surroundings of Euston train station

Who knows how life will ultimately work out, but I hope I can achieve sufficient financial and career stability to move back to London.

I am single and have no children but having had the privilege of acquiring degrees from several of the UK's top Universities and also working in an academic environment in the US, I hope I am able to give my children the pleasure of a British education.

For the OP who hasn't been back in 12 years, my thoughts are with you!